• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC] CD Projekt has explained why Phantom Liberty will be Cyberpunk 2077’s only expansion

Roni

Gold Member
It's not political decision that they are killing RedEngine but technical one. It's main problem in their development pipeline since basically beginning. In it's current state RedEngine is unmaintainable, unfixable without rewriting from scratch and it's development is unsustainable with amount of resources available for CDP.
They own GoG and if you look at Unreal 5 today there's probably very little left of the code from Unreal 1. Yet the tech is a stream of revenue for Epic today.

It's an investment if managed correctly.

I'm not a fan of them moving away from RedEngine, but seems like they didn't want to invest more in R&D for it, and the performance and bug issues with Cyberpunk only solidified this.

Hopefully with UE5, they can focus less on the engine, and instead focus on building the actual games. I suspect it will quicken the development and production, but I don't expect their next Witcher game to come out for another 3-4 years. By that time a lot of us will have better hardware, (RTX 50 and 60, RDNA 5,6 and PS5 Pro), and by that time UE5 would have likely had a lot more time in the oven which may resolve some of the shortcomings it's had in the performance area.

Last edited:
I just can't imagine having invested so much into a proprietary engine and then shelving it.

But if this gets the next Cyberpunk out faster and without issues then this is the way.

Zuzu

I think it would've been good if they would have planned for 2 expansions in keeping with what they did for Witcher 3 & in order to build out the Cyberpunk world more. Would've also filled in the time a bit more between now & their next game release which I assume is quite a few years away. But oh well...

poodaddy

I absolutely despise Epic and what they've done/are doing to the industry, and I really love CDProject for everything they've contributed to the industry and just how ethical they are. Seeing my favorite publisher partnering with my most hated,.....feels bad man.

If their next games are good, I'll be there, but I really feel they're making the wrong decision abandoning what is a truly unique engine that they put so many years of engineering into. There was still life in it, hell, Cyberpunk is still the best looking game out right now when maxed with Ray tracing. This just feels premature.

Hugare

I just can't imagine having invested so much into a proprietary engine and then shelving it.

But if this gets the next Cyberpunk out faster and without issues then this is the way.
They've invested in it for almost 20 years now. It was worth it, but it's time to let go.

R&D is crazy expensive, much more than it was back then. Making their engine as good as the best in the market, while updating 20 years old code is tough.

Not only that, but they would have to train every new employee to their own engine, since its proprietary. UE 5 is much more well known and documented.

I love Red Engine, but they made the right call

FingerBang

It makes sense. It's unfortunate they're leaving their great engine behind but you simply can't compete with UE5. It's a huge engine with hundreds of people working on it, with a super close relationship with the hardware manufacturers. It's the industry standard and it makes it much easier to hire and onboard people. I hope we'll get more competition in the future, but for now it's the way to go.

Why the goddammit clickbait though? Write the reason in the title, you're not getting paid based on click bro.

intbal

They should just license Chrome Engine from Techland.
Techland has an office in Warsaw, so they would be local.
They speak the same language.
It's a good open world engine with next-gen features.
It keeps one more non-UE engine alive in the world of gaming.

Top Bottom