• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Cyberpunk 2077 Changed CD PROJEKT RED | GameSpot Insider Documentary

GameSpot's newest video series, Insider, launches today with a mini-documentary about CD Projekt Red and the development of Cyberpunk 2077. GameSpot traveled to CD Projekt Red's offices in Poland and spoke with members of the development team to hear directly from the people making the game about the RPG's struggles and eventual redemption.

In the video, the developers speak frankly about Cyberpunk 2077's numerous issues at launch in December 2020. These were major issues, and the game was even pulled from sale entirely on PlayStation for a period of time. The team discussed this how they responded to the issues and implemented a plan to help turn things around. This included a massive structural overhaul.

CD Projekt Red no doubt succeeded in getting Cyberpunk 2077 to a better place, with many remarking that the 2.0 launch of the game marked a new era for the role-playing game. The developers also discussed what they learned from Cyberpunk 2077's original issues and how the team applied those lessons to the launch of Cyberpunk 2077's Phantom Liberty expansion.

Be sure to watch the full video, as it contains numerous stories and anecdotes about the development of Cyberpunk 2077, Phantom Liberty, and more. The video also shows off some of CD Projekt's office dogs, including a very cute little one named Geralt.
Another fun sequence captured on camera is the exact moment that the team pushed the button to set Phantom Liberty live. In case you were wondering how a major studio like CD Projekt actually releases a game, it's captured here on camera.

Cyberpunk 2077 is one of the most commercially successful RPGs in history, selling more than 25 million copies. Unsurprisingly, a sequel is now in development. Beyond that game, CD Projekt Red is developing a new set of Witcher games, as well as a remake of the original Witcher game.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Sounds like more marketing and image repair. I can't really blame them though since they need it. Just keep in mind you're being sold "redemption arc." I actually liked the Xbox documentary they put out and that was basically the same kind of deal. Still some value in getting a glimpse behind the scenes and getting to see more of the people that make games.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Sounds like more marketing and image repair. I can't really blame them though since they need it. Just keep in mind you're being sold "redemption arc." I actually liked the Xbox documentary they put out and that was basically the same kind of deal. Still some value in getting a glimpse behind the scenes and getting to see more of the people that make games.
Ultimate Edition comes out in a week. Of course it's marketing...

Top Bottom