• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Games [most likely] Won't Be Part of the Paris Olympics

Dunki

I don't quite understand what game they would propose to have at the Olymics? Will someone who is good at FIFA be able to get a gold medal, just like the worlds best footballers?
I do not think this would count. I personally would see something like CS, Dota/LOL and mabye a not team based fighting game

Not every game deserves to be there especially not when the real one is there

CuNi

Nobody is saying anyone can do it. People are saying however that it's absurd to mock even the lowliest of Olympic sports, when games demand far less than even them. It reeks of ignorance and arrogance.

Your example of why horse riding is physically demanding was "it fucks up your back", but dismissed examples that show that esports also can cause injuries. Know what also fucks up your back? Factory work...

Nobody tries to mock sports like horse riding but rather show that esports is quit equally demanding on a comparable level.

Ballthyrm

We already have the Video game Olympics.
Stuff like Awesome games done quick and EVO.

Why ask for other approval when you can do your own stuff and do it better.
IT's good that video games aren't linked to that corrupt organisation TBH.

Orta

Banned
Videogames have about as much business at the Olympic games as I do at hosting a Quantum Physics evening to the worlds foremost scientists.

Helios

We already have the Video game Olympics.
Stuff like Awesome games done quick and EVO.

Why ask for other approval when you can do your own stuff and do it better.
IT's good that video games aren't linked to that corrupt organisation TBH.
I hold a similar view. I don't really care whether or not esports are considered a real sport. I also don't really want video games to be at the Olympics because I love all the unprofessionalism that happens at tournaments like EVO. Stuff that would never fly on a real stadium. I don't want it to be sanitized. Overwatch already started going on that path and it's one of the many reasons I hate OWL.

Dada55000

Your example of why horse riding is physically demanding was "it fucks up your back", but dismissed examples that show that esports also can cause injuries. Know what also fucks up your back? Factory work...

Nobody tries to mock sports like horse riding but rather show that esports is quit equally demanding on a comparable level.

Oh dear lord. It was not an invitation to tally every minor niggle down to the last hemorrhoid. It was a quick quip.

Esports is nowhere near horse riding, it hovers around darts. That's the point. You are so far removed from knowing anything about those sports and more involved physical activity, that you can throw out falsities and casually shit on them in favour of esports. And you are unable to comprehend this.

You value esports, and are invested in putting it in the best light possible. So every little thing turns into the most serious version of itself. Esports is super impressive, the reflexes, the speed. It's dangerous too! You get carpal tunnel. It takes hard work and dedication to hone this craft! Spitshine to put on a pedestal. And then you turn towards sports you don't give a crap about. Suddenly, there's nothing to talk about. Clearly, that means there's so little to this! Shooting a gun, riding a horse, that's all it is. Your opinion is solely informed by you buying into your own embellishment of esports and your lack knowledge or care for any other sport.

Top Bottom