• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video shows teacher taking mic from boy with Autism at school play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxinas

She shouldn't lose her job if this is the only offense. I don't even think she needs to be suspended. A stern talking to/warning is all this warrants. Stop being so vindictive. People make mistakes, and it's not like she hit the kid.

Good lord, you're so unreasonable. With no further evidence you can make that judgement? What if that's all of those kids' favorite teacher, and she was having a bad day/frustrated with the kid.

She is a grown adult, that is no excuse for taking her anger out on children. You can clearly tell she takes away that mic with malintent, she didn't even use it after she took it away, so for what purpose did she, other then to avoid the poor kid?

SeanR1221

I appreciate your insight and reasoning. No. 2 definitely seems more likely than someone being that abhorrent. At least this is what I am telling myself to feel a little better about this story.

Thank you for bringing some insight and sense to the discussion. It's really hard to know what's really going from such a short, out-of-context clip.

Thank you. A big part of what I do is educate others on implementing strategies into he classroom or home environments. Sometimes we make kids very very upset but we try and avoid that.

I'm sure this was rehearsed and if they knew eloping was an issue, I would have increased the motivation to stay with the group during the play when it wasn't his turn to be on stage, and then maybe by doing that he could have some free time on stage after the play.

However a lot of people need to realize, teachers are rarely educated on intervention strategies and when you combine that with being over worked and underpaid, it's easier to go with a simple direct consequence.

She should apologize to the child and his parents in private and that's it. No public shaming or termination.
She didn't yank the mic from his hand, she didn't even touch him and she didn't yell or shout at him either. She just immediately took the mic after the supposed last kid was done.
She wasn't innaproproate or abusive. She was rude at best.
It also looks to me like this was a preventative measure. The autistic kid wasn't supppsed to be there and she knew there was a possibility that he would do this. Whether she did it because the kid was going to say or do something innaproproate or whether she just wanted to end the program as soon as possible I do not know. But it's nothing to fire anyone over.

jstripes

Banned
I've had experience with autistic kids, and they're often ticking time bombs. It's possible she thought that kid was going to say something inappropriate and tried to preempt it.

My step-son is autistic, and he loves making jokes that sound funny in his head, but leave groups of people in uncomfortable silence. So yes, I don't know the scenario behind this video, but I understand the possibilities at play here.

If you're putting together a play and your 10 year old autistic background extra is hell bent on running up to the mic and shouting "I'm a princess, I'm a princess!" you just let that shit happen. If you think they're going to say "I love Trump , he's going to keep out the Mexicans!" you consider yanking them off stage. One thing you don't do is tell them they can't be in the play, because that will be fucking hell for a lot longer than anyone in that group deserves.

I'm just going to assume that you're just being a cunt to get a reaction, 'cos with your attitude you should be nowhere near autistic children.

I'm sorry but if an autistic kid acting out means you just do shit like this to him which will literally shatter the poor kids self esteem.

You shouldn't be a fucking teacher because you very clearly can't handle it.

Poor baby. I hope he isn't discouraged from participating with the other kids in the future now.

I'm sorry but if an autistic kid acting out means you just do shit like this to him which will literally shatter the poor kids self esteem.

You shouldn't be a fucking teacher because you very clearly can't handle it.

Poor baby. I hope he isn't discouraged from participating with the other kids in the future now.

God knows if I was in his shoes, I'd probably be in the dumps when it came to self worth after the incident.

I'm starting to think some people have never considered that refraining from weighing in on something due to insufficient context is even an option.

Audioboxer

I agree this is not the way to interact with a child as is, let alone a child with autism. Being a teacher of young children can be a task and a half, but you are suppose to be equipped to handle it. Yes discipline is needed, but so is good explanation of said discipline otherwise a child's mind fails to start to learn about actions and consequences. That is of course in a pretext where a child has been continually acting out and eventually does face consequence. Any parent who believes discipline is something from the 1940s is also completely incorrect as well. Physical harm/violence is not tolerable, but discipline isn't about power tripping and abusing. It's about helping learn when done suitably and correctly (and in proportion to an action).

What I will say though is this is something that could probably be handled on a local level rather than setting it up to go viral (over 140k views) and having the internet rage about what it does best ~ Passing judgement and arguing and seeking out Twitter/FB profiles to dog-pile.

I think parents as much as adults in general these days need to be wiser about what they rush to put online. Yes often the internet can help with things, but often be prepared for a life of hassle if something goes viral.

Alandrus

Banned
The fact that she knew to take away the mic immediately tells me she knows this student all too well.

I don't see any reason to punish this teacher in any way.

Mr-Joker

Banned
From watching the video and reading the description, it's clear that the teacher deliberately took the microphone away from him and made zero attempt to calm him down or pass it off as an "accident".

Good lord, you're so unreasonable. With no further evidence you can make that judgement? What if that's all of those kids' favorite teacher, and she was having a bad day/frustrated with the kid.

She's a teacher and an adult woman she should have been trained and knows better not to take her frustration out on the kids, especially if they have autism.

I recently had a tutee who had autism and yes dealing with them is difficult and can cause frustration but I never took it out on the kid and instead tried a different approach like saying if they don't behave the dragon next door will eat them or pretending that the board rubber will make them smarter if they rub it on their head. I even suggested to the parents to split the tuition into 2 days 1 hour block rather than 2 hours.

In the superintendent's statement, it's mentioned that the kid was not supposed to be up there. This matches with the two lines prior to the mic-snatch being "Happy Thanksgiving" and "Thank you for coming"

All the kid would have said was "Gobble Gobble" it does not ruin the message and probably would have made a few people laugh.

I also don't buy their excuse that it was a mistake and that there was no malice behind taking the microphone.

jstripes

Banned
I recently had a tutee who had autism and yes dealing with them is difficult and can cause frustration but I never took it out on the kid and instead tried a different approach like saying if they don't behave the dragon next door will eat them or pretending that the board rubber will make them smarter if they rub it on their head. I even suggested to the parents to split the tuition into 2 days 1 hour block rather than 2 hours.
That's potentially a guaranteed way to get that kid's anxiety racing. Several years ago I made a casual joke about an alien invasion coming, and he, at the age of 12, was severely anxious about it for the next hour until we explained it was only a joke and not actually happening.

Dhx

I agree this is not the way to interact with a child as is, let alone a child with autism. Being a teacher of young children can be a task and a half, but you are suppose to be equipped to handle it. Yes discipline is needed, but so is good explanation of said discipline otherwise a child's mind fails to start to learn about actions and consequences. That is of course in a pretext where a child has been continually acting out and eventually does face consequence. Any parent who believes discipline is something from the 1940s is also completely incorrect as well. Physical harm/violence is not tolerable, but discipline isn't about power tripping and abusing. It's about helping learn when done suitably and correctly (and in proportion to an action).

What I will say though is this is something that could probably be handled on a local level rather than setting it up to go viral (over 140k views) and having the internet rage about what it does best ~ Passing judgement and arguing and seeking out Twitter/FB profiles to dog-pile.

I think parents as much as adults in general these days need to be wiser about what they rush to put online. Yes often the internet can help with things, but often be prepared for a life of hassle if something goes viral.

Well said. You make an important point about handling this at the local level. The parents should have requested a conference with the teacher and principal to discuss and see if there was perhaps context that they did not know. If they failed to be satisfied by that discussion, take it to the superintendent.

Publishing a video online as the first step will not help anyone, their child most of all. Now everyone will retreat to their corners and the kid may be affected locally by the piblicity for years to come.

In the superintendent's statement, it's mentioned that the kid was not supposed to be up there. This matches with the two lines prior to the mic-snatch being "Happy Thanksgiving" and "Thank you for coming"

Yeah this is what my reading of the situation is based on what we see in the video and the statement made in response to it; I think the teacher probably didn't notice/suspect he was going to speak and grabbed the microphone when the play was supposed to end and then ignored the reaction afterwards (or alternatively, didn't want to give an open microphone to a child when the play should have ended). The video made it look quite bad, but some background information could definitely shed further light on the situation and provide greater clarification on what happened.

Dhx

That's potentially a guaranteed way to get that kid's anxiety racing. Several years ago I made a casual joke about an alien invasion coming, and he, at the age of 12, was severely anxious about it for the next hour until we explained it was only a joke and not actually happening.

I agree the dragon bit could be a bit much depending on the kid's ability to separate fantasy from reality, but the idea is exactly right.

I've had similar success with examples such as "the board rubber will make you smarter." My examples were more like "math will help you grow bigger!" The idea is positive reinforcement and getting them invested in learning.

Audioboxer

Well said. You make an important point about handling this at the local level. The parents should have requested a conference with the teacher and principal to discuss and see if there was perhaps context that they did not know. If they failed to be satisfied by that discussion, take it to the superintendent.

Publishing a video online as the first step will not help anyone, their child most of all. Now everyone will retreat to their corners and the kid may be affected locally by the piblicity for years to come.

Of course, I agree. The ease of turning to the Internet when you're emotional, even justifiably so, can sometimes backfire. If you end up getting the world to dig into your private life let alone your child's you can't always control the outcome. They seem fairly young kids, but in saying that it's crazy how young kids have ipads, phones and computers these days. Hope no bullying or picking on starts due to this going viral.

Even in regards to the teacher in this case it would probably best be handled locally. Internet mob justice mentalities can often fail to realise there is numbers in between 1 and 10 and always ramp up to 10, get fired. Often, sure, firings are deserved but not every single time something goes viral.

Jenov

Poor kid. That was very mean spirited of the teacher, and yes it was purposeful. In the alternate angle video you can clearly see she sees him, and the mother even comments "Now why would she go and do that....". She embarrassed and shamed a very young boy over what? There was nothing gained here, just a smug teacher making sure her play wasn't "ruined" by the 'annoying' autistic kid. Insensitive.

Maximus.

The outrage over like 10 seconds of video demanding her job is disgusting. Yes, it looks bad on video, but the lady doesn't look angry or even mindful when taking the mic. Internet outrage is seriously out of hand.

We don't have concrete details of how the play was rehearsed. I remember when I was a kid, teachers really did care about things going to plan as practiced, so maybe the kid didn't have a line or maybe wasn't even supposed to be up there. Yes, it is a kids play and at the end of the day it does look mean she pulled the mic, but the immediate, she doesn't deserve to be a teacher and calling her names is crazy from such a small sample.

Lenz44

Banned
Instead of yanking it away, she could have talked to him for a second and said "The play is over, you didn't have any more lines- remember?" Or just ask him nicely what he was going to say, if it's something like "Happy Thanksgiving" or something along those lines- just let him say it. She's a teacher and should treat him like a human being. I say this as someone who has worked a bit in elementary schools as a special needs para.

Mr-Joker

Banned

I agree the dragon bit could be a bit much depending on the kid's ability to separate fantasy from reality, but the idea is exactly right.

I've had similar success with examples such as "the board rubber will make you smarter." My examples were more like "math will help you grow bigger!" The idea is positive reinforcement and getting them invested in learning.

Yeah I probably won't use the Dragon bit again as when used it the first time I was unaware of his Autism, his parents didn't tell me till later, though I was lucky as he seem interested and wanted to see the dragon.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I get why people are upset, but teacher's have always been a group of people I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to. I think it is one of the shittiest jobs and I am amazed that anyone even goes into it because kids. Are. The. Worst.

Speaking as a former shit kid.

As someone with autism (I have to imagine anyway lol), I do not think she should be fired, at least with the info we have. She should definitely receive a pretty pointy talking-to however. She should have tried to deescalate after she realized.

besada

Banned
As someone with autism (I have to imagine anyway lol), I do not think she should be fired, at least with the info we have. She should definitely receive a pretty pointy talking-to however.

Were I her administrator, I'd note the behavior in her record, in case it happened again, and recommend a course in dealing with special needs kids. I'd create an opportunity for the parents and the teacher to discuss the issue in a mediated way, and hope we found some common ground.

Were I her administrator, I'd note the behavior in her record, in case it happened again, and recommend a course in dealing with special needs kids. I'd create an opportunity for the parents and the teacher to discuss the issue in a mediated way, and hope we found some common ground.

That is about right, yeah. It didn't seem like malice was involved, but I don't know that the way she approached it was the best way to keep the situation under control.

Yup, the parents uploading the video for the whole world to see is probably the most damaging when all's said and done. The whole thing could've been smoothed over with an apology from the teacher and the promise of a speaking role in the next play. I hope the video doesn't exclude the kid from his classmates any more than he probably already is.

SeanR1221

Ideally you'd want to see direct teacher training when it comes to intervention methods. A quick course or seminar typically results in poor treatment integrity. Being provided with a model and feedback is much more useful.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

Er... I mean, assuming this is true - and it very well could be -, then great, and I hope the teacher will see the end of the hate...

... But I'm just as wary of this blog post as I am of those who jumped on the hate bandwagon because the author of the blog post kinda sounds like a nutjob. The end of the post tipped me off with the Bible quote and pic, so I read the "About" section, and sure enough : it's the stereotypical "I used to be a dumb liberal when I was young, and then I saw the light; also atheists are idiots" spiel. This doesn't make what she's saying wrong per se, but it certainly makes me take her post with a grain of salt.

Uhm, there was no malice he didnt have a part? (from article)

pls explain why he doesnt have a part and why he was dressed and in line expecting to play a part?

(hmm linked further article, might explain why)

edit:

just out of curiosity, is it normal for a class play to not involve all kids in America?

xandaca

Er... I mean, assuming this is true - and it very well could be -, then great, and I hope the teacher will see the end of the hate...

... But I'm just as wary of this blog post as I am of those who jumped on the hate bandwagon because the author of the blog post kinda sounds like a nutjob. The end of the post tipped me off with the Bible quote and pic, so I read the "About" section, and sure enough : it's the stereotypical "I used to be a dumb liberal when I was young, and then I saw the light; also atheists are idiots" spiel. This doesn't make what she's saying wrong per se, but it certainly makes me take her post with a grain of salt.

I fail to see any connection whatsoever between the author's politics and faith and whether or not she is telling the truth in an article about a school play.

norm9

As someone on the spectrum, I teared up a bit seeing that kid's reaction. Even if the play had ended and he wasn't supposed to speak, as a teacher it's your job to make sure all your students feel welcome and included. She failed abysmally in that regard.

Being treated like the monster in the room is one of the worst feelings in the world when you're "different", and kids already have to deal with it enough from other kids. She may have not intended to hurt his feelings, but it's clear from his reaction that she did. It was insensitive on her part. She would benefit from additional education on how to work with special needs kids.

mike6467

Man, looking at everything teachers are expected to do and know, how much pressure they're under from all sides, how much is at stake in the long run, and how much they get paid...I just...I mean...Wow...

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I fail to see any connection whatsoever between the author's politics and faith and whether or not she is telling the truth in an article about a school play.

There is no connection, that's what I'm saying.

However, I generally tend to mistrust people who pepper their opinion pieces with quotes from the Bible - or conversely, assertions that God is dead and Science is great or whatever; works both ways - and/or act like they've had some great epiphany about life and politics. To me, they're generally not good signs of a person's ability to see clearly and objectively through a situation.

Doesn't mean that she is being disingenuous or wrong in this particular instance. The things I'm pointing out are red flags of sorts to me, but not absolute ground for dismissal. It means, however, that I'd like other takes on the situation as well. Just like I can't take the "haters" words at face value because their outrage seems unsupported, I can't take her words at face value given what I know about her. and the fact that she's just one random blogger. We need more sources to get to the truth of this.

Christine

I'm not sure this person is credible.

Something just seemed… off. Such hatred with so little information! I guess I just wanted to know why Mrs. Lindsey pulled that mic. But no one else seemed similarly interested! Just the rush to judgement! And such judgement I had never seen before. I’ve not seen that kind of hatred since I wrote my Sandy Hook article.

Hmm. What's that about?

I believe our GOVERNMENT shot those kids and teachers and used Adam Lanza and his family to pull it off.

Oh. We going to take her word for that one as well?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Shit, I was too lazy to do any further research but you guys are already proving my point about taking this person's words with a huge grain of salt. :/

Nephtis

Regardless of intention, the teacher and the school need to publish an apology. The kid isn't at fault, and if he wasn't supposed to be in the play, he should have been removed before he ever got anywhere near the mic.

The teacher should not lose her job over this, however. Especially if there is no pattern of this teacher behaving that way.

Aselith

Let the poor kid have a fucking chance. Who cares if it's not scripted.

It's a fucking SCHOOL PLAY. Who the fuck cares if he has some fun with it?

Some teachers are just unforgivable assholes. And to do that in front of the parents?

--I'd be up on stage that minute ripping the mic out of the teacher's hand and giving it right back to the kid. Let's see her CRY on stage in front of everyone.

From what I understand, he did go earlier that just wasn't his part.

Edit oh no I misread you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom