• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visions of Mana Releases on Summer 2024, New Footage Revealed Xbox Direct 2024

Draugoth

Gold Member
BibTIkn.png

Visions of Mana is a game of many firsts. It’s the first entirely new mainline Mana game for more than 15 years. It’s the first game to offer such sprawling 3D worlds and freedom to explore them. And – perhaps most excitingly for the readers of this blog – it’s the first Mana game to release on Xbox!

Of course, that means that some of you may not be entirely familiar with this franchise. You may be wondering: What makes this one of the most beloved Square Enix series out there? Why did this announcement and trailer for Visions of Mana shown at The Game Awards 2023 – and its surprise appearance in Developer_Directmake people so giddy and excited?

Let’s start by introducing you to this brand new adventure:

What is Visions of Mana?

This sprawling new single-player action RPG puts you in the shoes of Val – a curious and carefree young man and skilled fighter. One eventful night, his childhood friend is chosen as an alm – someone who must travel to the Mana Tree and rejuvenate the flow of mana power. Val joins her as the Soul Guard to protect her on her journey, and an epic adventure begins.

As Val, you’ll explore vast areas, battle monsters, gain allies, and uncover the many secrets of this expansive world. And what a world it is! As you can see from the screenshots and trailer, it’s a beautifully vibrant game with rich colors and expressive characters.

The beauty is matched by equally appealing combat. Aerial combat allows for physical and magic attacks in mid-air, and the grand and mysterious powers of the Elemental spirits can assist players in the form of specialized weapons.. It’s fast-paced, strategic, and endlessly satisfying.

In short, it’s a perfect entry point for those of you yet to experience a Mana game, as it brings together everything great about this incredible series.

What is the Mana series?

The Mana games are a long-running series of fantasy RPGs that typically feature fast-paced, action-based combat, appealing visuals and music, and stories that center around themes of nature and the majestic Mana Tree.

It’s one of the most immediately enjoyable series, with exciting combat, colorful worlds, and a desire to always innovate. Here’s how Mana Series Producer Masaru Oyamada defines it:

“There are different opinions on what makes a Mana game – as the Series Creator Koichi Ishii always tries to do something new with each game after all.

“I think we’ve managed to capture all of these elements in one consistent visual style for Visions of Mana, which really reflects the spirit of the series.”
Masaru Oyamada, Mana Series Producer

“But from my own perspective, I think there’s very much a distinctive Mana style that is easily recognizable to everyone. You can see it in the Tree of Mana illustrations by the great Hiroo Isono, in Mr. Ishii’s unforgettable monsters, and in the characters that inhabit these worlds.

“I think we’ve managed to capture all of these elements in one consistent visual style for Visions of Mana, which really reflects the spirit of the series.”

Each Mana game is a standalone adventure, with its own characters, stories and even gameplay mechanics. There’s rarely any narrative connection between them – instead they’re connected by elements like repeating monsters, such as the adorable rabites.

In other words, you can jump into any Mana game as if it’s your first, and Visions of Mana is no different. In fact, it’s a particularly great place to start as it’s the first entirely new mainline Mana game in more than 15 years!

A Brief History of Mana

Yes, it’s really that many years! The Mana series is one of the longest-running and most beloved RPG series out there, harking all the way back to the long-long-ago of 1991.

Introductions of Mana

Final Fantasy Adventure/Mystic Quest, from Collection of Mana (2019)
Final Fantasy Adventure/Mystic Quest, from Collection of Mana (2019)
You’d be forgiven for not realizing the first game was the beginnings of the series, as for its North American release the first game was titled Final Fantasy Adventure, and – to make things even more confusing – in Europe, it went by the name Mystic Quest (Of course, that’s not to be confused with the 16-bit Mystic Quest, which is an entirely different game. And one that has an alternate name in Europe too – Mystic Quest Legend. As you can see, regional game-naming could get very convoluted back in the 90s).

Whichever name it went by, Final Fantasy Adventure can be considered the first Mana game. It put players in the shoes of a bold hero who must prevent the Dark Lord and his assistant Julius from destroying the Tree of Mana and thus the world.

Many of the elements that would come to define the series started here – action-based combat, themes of nature and the Tree of Mana, incredible music, and a strong visual style.

Secrets of Mana

Secret of Mana (2018 Remake)
Secret of Mana (2018 Remake)
Final Fantasy Adventure/Mystic Quest was a hit with players and critics alike and made a strong start for the series. But it was the second game in the series, 1993’s 16-bit Secret of Mana, where it truly defined its identity.

This incredible RPG introduced many of the familiar monsters and gameplay elements that continue into Visions of Mana, such as the ring menu for quickly selecting spells and items. It’s also overflowing with personality – this is a game where you’ll battle ducks wearing army-issue helmets, fast-travel through a cannon man operated cannon and meet and help Santa Claus.

It was followed up by the then Japan-exclusive Trials of Mana – another celebrated RPG of its time.

Generations of Mana

Legend of Mana
Legend of Mana (2021 Remaster)
The next game in the series, 2000’s (released 1999 in Japan) Legend of Mana, was another boldly experimental game, which gave players unprecedented freedom over how their adventure unfolded. Its beautiful visuals, sublime soundtrack and unstructured approach to storytelling made for a unique game that won many fans.

As the new millennium progressed, more Mana games would be released, including a portable remake of Final Fantasy Adventure titled Sword of Mana, dungeon-crawler Children of Mana, the last new Mana game to be released on consoles, Dawn of Mana, and even a real time strategy game for handhelds, Heroes of Mana.

Over the last decade, there have also been a number of rereleases and remakes, which introduced a new generation of fans to this incredible series. Even so, there was an appetite for something new – and now it’s arriving as Visions of Mana.

“It’s been around 10 years since I took over as Mana series producer, but one of my ambitions from the beginning was to put out a completely new game on consoles.”
Masaru Oyamada, Mana Series Producer

Producer Oyamada explains why it was finally time for a new console adventure:

“It’s been around 10 years since I took over as Mana series producer, but one of my ambitions from the beginning was to put out a completely new game on consoles.”

“However, there had already been quite a gap since the previous entry when I took the reins of the series, so I was a little unsure as to how many fans actually wanted to see a new Mana game.”

“So first, we decided to release various remakes and remasters to both renew interest among past fans of the series and give newcomers a chance to experience the series. Following the good reputation for the Trials of Mana remake, it became clear that we could realistically make the kind of game we’d long been imagining.”

Visions of Mana is that game.”

Which Brings Us to Visions of Mana

Visions of Mana Screenshot

Visions of Mana offers a fresh new take on the series, with large areas to explore and a rich story, all portrayed with a beautifully colorful visual style.

That was something that the team was particularly eager to capture, as Mr. Oyamada explains:

“I asked the development team to try to create character models that captured the atmosphere of character designer HACCAN’s illustrations, and experiment to see if they could make a world that incorporated the beautiful depictions of nature from the artist Mr. Hiroo Isono.

“During this process of experimentation, I also managed to secure the support from Mr. Koichi Ishii, the creator of the Mana series and designer of many of its classic monsters, asking him to oversee the updating of his past monster designs into 3D for current generation graphics. All this led to a world that I felt was recognizable at a glance as being from the Mana series.

“With the visuals and the setting decided on, the team was inspired to come up with many different ideas about what kinds of battle mechanics and gameplay elements would work best in this gorgeous world, filled with nature and overflowing with the power of the Elementals. These were gradually worked up into the final game.”

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Looks decent. Better showing of this game than last time. Went from 0% interest to definite buy on sale. I like this format hearing from the developers on site in their own cities, seeing in depth gameplay and even artwork sketches from early conception. Fantastic.

Last edited:

Phase

Just like DQ games, Mana series was always been colourful.....I dont know why would you expect they go dark all the sudden.
Ah you're right. I didn't watch the announce trailer either. I just saw its thumbnail before and assumed it was the style they were going for.

mana.png

Isa

So stoked for this. The animations for the monsters was cute and pretty good. Interesting seeing that other character in combat, I wonder what the others play like. This year is going to be amazing!!!!

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Looks decent. Better showing of this game than last time. Went from 0% interest to definite buy on sale. I like this format hearing from the developers on site in their own cities, seeing in depth gameplay and even artwork sketches from early conception. Fantastic.
I love when devs do this. Show the personal side of development. Show us where you are, who you are, and discuss your passion. To me that goes wayyyyy further than just showing cinematic “gameplay” for like 3 minutes.

Phase

It new Mana game looks like the original Mana artwork brought to 3D. The series has always been highly colorful, what would make you think that it would *ever* look darker with overload of details?
I explained above. I wrongly assumed it would be the style of the thumbnail from the announcement video (which I didn't watch lol). Oh well. I may give it a shot since the gameplay actually looks cool.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Oof... the gameplay looks floaty as fuck.

Downgrading this from get-day-one to wait-for-reviews-and-impressions tier.
I agree with the “floatiness” and personally the lack of lock on in the video…however, I’m pretty sure those are some of the last things they knock out when developing a game. The game isn’t even going to go gold for another, at minimum, 5 months. I wouldn’t take that at face value. Japanese devs are known to show legitimate gameplay with no filters earlier in development…which is why I respect a lot of them. The honesty almost seems like a lost art in game development these days.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

This is a day one for me. But Square will probably attach a high price to this just because.

Mana is something special and nostalgic. And this game stays true to the colorful style it always had.

Griffon

I agree with the “floatiness” and personally the lack of lock on in the video…however, I’m pretty sure those are some of the last things they knock out when developing a game. The game isn’t even going to go gold for another, at minimum, 5 months. I wouldn’t take that at face value. Japanese devs are known to show legitimate gameplay with no filters earlier in development…which is why I respect a lot of them. The honesty almost seems like a lost art in game development these days.
A mere 5 months before release, a game is pretty much done and absolutely feature complete, and looks and feel as the dev intents it to be. The only thing they're gonna do now is debugging and minor adjustments (especially true concerning a game releasing on all consoles + PC, doing all those ports at once is no joke).

This is not early development, what you see now is very close to what you'll get.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
A mere 5 months before release, a game is pretty much done and absolutely feature complete, and looks and feel as the dev intents it to be. The only thing they're gonna do now is debugging and minor adjustments (especially true concerning a game releasing on all consoles + PC).

This is not early development, what you see now is very close to what you'll get.
I didn’t say early development in my post anywhere…the game has been in development for 4 years (give or take), 5 months is around 15% left of the dev cycle, assuming it is released around June of course. They literally delayed FF15 like 3 months because of the lock on, among other adjustments, being off. They were wayyy off and felt jacked in the demo. When the game released, the target and lock on tracking was near perfect. These people literally work on a game 50+ hours a week full time, you can’t really think they are just doing debugging and that’s it with a team of 100 people minimum. Imagine going into your 9-5 and finishing a yearly report 6 months early and just not doing anything else for the rest of the time and letting the big testers do whatever. Come on. You can’t be that uneducated about game development. I’m not saying the game will be a masterpiece and perfect, but to assume a game is in finished state 5+ months before release proves you know nothing about game development. With all due respect of course lol, and will eat my words if I’m wrong on release.

Edit - that’s about 12% if it releases around June. Sorry math is stupid and it can fuck off lol.

Last edited:

Quasicat

I was hoping to see it on Xbox Cloud Gaming, but I’m thinking it will his PlayStation Plus Premium instead. Xbox’s cloud service runs better at home and work than PlayStation’s service.

I’ll probably get it on Steam since it’s coming out there and I want to play this on a handheld.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I think it's a little lame there doesn't seem to be any party mechanics or multiplayer but other than that it looks great.

kiphalfton

I didn’t say early development in my post anywhere…the game has been in development for 4 years (give or take), 5 months is around 15% left of the dev cycle, assuming it is released around June of course. They literally delayed FF15 like 3 months because of the lock on, among other adjustments, being off. They were wayyy off and felt jacked in the demo. When the game released, the target and lock on tracking was near perfect. These people literally work on a game 50+ hours a week full time, you can’t really think they are just doing debugging and that’s it with a team of 100 people minimum. Imagine going into your 9-5 and finishing a yearly report 6 months early and just not doing anything else for the rest of the time and letting the big testers do whatever. Come on. You can’t be that uneducated about game development. I’m not saying the game will be a masterpiece and perfect, but to assume a game is in finished state 5+ months before release proves you know nothing about game development. With all due respect of course lol, and will eat my words if I’m wrong on release.

Edit - that’s about 12% if it releases around June. Sorry math is stupid and it can fuck off lol.

Question is, what do you know about game development? Unless of course youve been a game dev yourself...

Metnut

I really want to like this and want the game to succeed but there’s so much other stuff coming out this year that I want to play more and I still haven’t got to Baldur’s Gate 3 yet.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Question is, what do you know about game development? Unless of course youve been a game dev yourself...
Answer is, I have…but we will leave it at that, and I appreciate the attempt at a redirect. I’m not the one who made the initial comments.

Also, who are you? I thought for a minute you were the person I was having the conversation with…nice attempt to derail.

Last edited:

linko9

Probably my most anticipated game. Loved the SD3 remake, though it can't top the original. Even if it's just that but with a bigger budget I'll be happy.

sigmaZ

Hearing that music sold me. Game does look floaty but there's a difference in looking floaty and feeling floaty.

Top Bottom