• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VooDoo 5 6000 selling for 10K on ebay

winjer

Gold Member

Any rich magnates around here that collect extremely rare hardware?

Hustling Dave Chappelle GIF

Elios83

I still have my the Voodoo 5 5500 AGP. I remember back then it was the first card with proper anti aliasing.
The 6000 was never released, there are no official drivers, so I guess this card has purely a collector's value.
The first prototypes of Rampage+Sage are probably even more rare.
Too bad that 3dfx went bakrupt for some stupid strategical mistakes, it was a great company.

I still have my the Voodoo 5 5500 AGP. I remember back then it was the first card with proper anti aliasing.
The 6000 was never released, there are no official drivers, so I guess this card has purely a collector's value.
The first prototypes of Rampage+Sage are probably even more rare.
Too bad that 3dfx went bakrupt for some stupid strategical mistakes, it was a great company.
I loved, loved loved my v5 5000, of course I had the pci version because i used it in a Hacked packard bell pentium 2 that had no agp port (shit wasn't even a pentium it was cyrix m2, and ran 3d games like ass as it's fpu was shit). Later built my first full build a pentium 3 and shoved that bad boy in with the sblive and it was glorious.

The dedicated AntiAliasing hotkey was something to behold. It also was the only card to have that good of MSAA for a while. 2x was basically free. For 2000 that was amazing.
Wish they didn't go under. I wound up getting a geforce 3 after that.

as for the 6000, I remember a number of people having them in forums. They weren't nowhere near $1000 back then from what I remember.

Last edited:
Wow, I think I have one of these (the retail version) in my old PC that is collecting dust. Time to see if it still works and then throw in on the bay.

Last edited:

dcx4610

That was a dream card at the time. I maxed out at the 3000 AGP version which was still amazing. That was back in the day when getting a GPU was a massive deal. I still remember seeing the box on the shelf.

I guess in some ways we are back to GPU being a big deal but back then, it really opened up the door to playing new games and massive jumps in quality. Now, you can have a 3 gen older card and still be fine.

LordOfChaos

You can barely make out the heat blocks under those four chip fans, and there's four main chips on this! It's crazy how much more wattage we pump through single chips these days and how much cooling requirements have increased.

Last edited:

dave_d

You can barely make out the heat blocks under those four chip fans, and there's four main chips on this! It's crazy how much more wattage we pump through single chips these days and how much cooling requirements have increased.
3dfx was ahead of curve on one thing, this card was supposed to ship with its own power supply. (Yes, you'd plug an external power supply into the card which is what one of the connectors on the bracket is for. Looks like they included a hacked connector to a molex connector with this card.)

That was a dream card at the time. I maxed out at the 3000 AGP version which was still amazing. That was back in the day when getting a GPU was a massive deal. I still remember seeing the box on the shelf.

I guess in some ways we are back to GPU being a big deal but back then, it really opened up the door to playing new games and massive jumps in quality. Now, you can have a 3 gen older card and still be fine.
Yep, and it was confusing as hell getting into 3d cards back then. I remember going to the local staples in 98/99 and getting a ATI all in wonder -3D Rage Pro. Looking at the box and thinking this is going to rock.

I can finally play that Diakatana game (lol) that my friend gave me (why would he just give me his new game...)
And play quake2 and 3, Omnikron, Half life, Heavy Metal Fakk2, Prince of Persia 3d and Thief, oh and I hear it helps with baldurs gate and diablo 2, but don't know how.

Get the card plug it in and prince of Persia 3d has big purple lines, other games are running at 5-12fps... wtf..... Go back to the store return. Go to the mall and check out Electronics Boutique (gamestop before the merger) and see all these crazy card names:
diamond Monster 3d
Prophet OMEN 3d
Matrox Mystique
Trinity 3d
etc...

What was one to do, they made them all look crazy good to a young guy in the 90s.
I settled on a voodoo 3, the one with the crazy face box. It played all my games in playable fps and fast, but some games weren't that great and then seen there was a newer model.
Returned the v3 and got a voodoo5 (was expensive at the time $299 or $399 in 1999 forget which) as I was having issues and didn't know that my cpu was the culprit. The v5 helped big time for a while.
That v5 allowed me play dues ex, unreal tournament , quake 3, etc....

And then I found out why I was given diakatana ..... that game sucked so bad. Here I thought my pal was being nice. Hardly.

Bottom line those card boxes were awesome but also some false advertising.
Games really did take a new card to get running. Then came the pixel/vertex shader cards...

Last edited:

Allandor

Wow... damn only have the 5500 AGP ...
sits in a retro PC but it only collects dust for years now.
I guess those cards will be soon only for people who can repair them as the cards are now over 22 years old

Kadve

Gold Member
2023 model in alternative timeline where 3dfx still existed and they kept the vsa-100 architecture of upping physical cores per card.....

Going to beat NVIDIA's record of largest consumer grade graphics card.... :messenger_beaming:
Quantum already had them beat on that with their triple and quad GPU cards.
224642_IMG_82400.jpg

And yea that top... thing was actually sold like that

Last edited:
A super rare collector's item. Probably only a few left in the world, and one that actually fully works is probably a once in a lifetime find for a collector.

Tarin02543

Goddamnit, I had the voodoo2 8mb card and must have thrown it away some time ago.

The richest kids on the playground had the 12mb version.

Quantum already had them beat on that with their triple and quad GPU cards.
224642_IMG_82400.jpg

And yea that top... thing was actually sold like that

Wow thats crazy. It didn't have any fans, just passive cooling using heatsyncs. If i recall my voodoo 3 didn't have a fan either, my 1990 386sx cpu didn't have them either. . V5 was first graphics card I owned that had gpu fan.
was kinda amazing.

This thing probably required a special motherboard and at getting that plugged into 4 pci slots was probably a pain.

Looking at the windows settings page from the link in your link shows just 8mb of ram, with all those cards. What was the point of it just raw cpu clocks, memory was left unchanged?

yxhrdIE.png

Topher

Gold Member
Is this real ? Any source to get more info ?

Yeah, it is real. Just google "voodoo 5 9000"

Nah, it's fake.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
What a time to be alive. Impressive really, since typically we ducks only live 5-10 years. I miss the excitement of something that seemed to be truly a next step in graphics.....

Danknugz

i think i still have my 2 old voodoo2 cards somewhere which were so old they didn't even support 2d, you had to have a separate card just to display the OS.

Kadve

Gold Member
Looking at the windows settings page from the link in your link shows just 8mb of ram, with all those cards. What was the point of it just raw cpu clocks, memory was left unchanged?

yxhrdIE.png
Framebuffer memory is just a portion of total memory (he was also just showing one of them). The Obsidian2 200SBi had 24MB in total with the entire "brick" having 96MB.

Last edited:

CobraAB

Damn. Makes a 4090 Ti look dirt cheap! 😛

I had a original 3DFX VooDoo back in the day.

The Diamond Monster 3D.

Last edited:
You call those CUs?

THAT'S a CU.

Real talk though: I wonder what Linus thinks of this one. He just covered playing old PC games via PCem/86dos.

ZoukGalaxy

Yeah, it is real. Just google "voodoo 5 9000"

Nah, it's fake.

From what I remember is just a mock up for Internet points
Thanks guys for the clarification and link, was quite surprised to see this beast despite building PC since... emm... too long.
Boomer Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Damn, guy really put some love building it, worth archiving it.
xwVXJFd.jpg

Last edited:

Drew1440

Fascinating, I wonder how long will it be before we get FPGA boards of older 3D accelerators? I'd love to get a Voodoo 3 or a RAGE 3D Pro for older games. Early 3D graphics cards used their own API rather than DirectX which was exclusive to some games.

Also semi-related, Shelby from Tech Tangents did a video of HydroThunder which was an arcade game that used 3DFX graphics hardware in a customized PC arcade board.

Last edited:
Top Bottom