• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox Media Launches Vox.com, News & Political Website

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDougles

Vox.com

Project X was just a codename, apparently.

Vox said:
What is Vox?

Vox is a general interest news site for the 21st century. Its mission is simple: Explain the news.

Vox is published by Vox Media, a growing modern publishing house, with six other awesome sites you should already be reading: SB Nation, The Verge, Polygon, Curbed, Eater, and Racked. Each site is a distinct entity under Vox Media. Think: Time Inc. publishing Time, but also People, Sports Illustrated, and In Style.

What do you mean by “explain the news”?

The media is excellent at reporting the news and pretty good at adding commentary atop the news. What’s lacking is an organization genuinely dedicated to explaining the news. That is to say, our end goal isn’t telling you what just happened, or how we feel about what just happened, it’s making sure you understand what just happened.

We're going to deliver a lot of contextual information that traditional news stories aren't designed to carry, and we're hiring journalists who really know the topics they cover. There’s no way we’ll be able to help readers understand issues if we haven’t done the work to understand them ourselves.

What will Vox cover?

Politics, public policy, world affairs, pop culture, science, business, food, sports, and everything else that matters are part of our editorial ambit.

We intend to be a general news site and “news” has always been defined broadly. Open up your favorite newspaper or news site and you’ll find some stories that are about things that literally just happened and some stories that are about more enduring, important subjects.

Our approach is similarly inclusive: Some of our topics will be about fast-breaking news stories and some will just be about important topics. For instance: An explanation of how other country’s health-care systems work — or even how our country’s health-care system works — probably won’t contain much new information but it’ll contain a lot of important information that’s new to most people. We’re not going to get caught up in talmudic debates about what does and doesn’t count as “news.”

Immediately getting Polygon launch levels of self importance vibes.

Vox on Twitter.

Vox on Instagram.

Courage

Looks like The Verge and Polygon actually. Aesthetically pretty, but will there actually be substance behind it?

corn_fest

How am I supposed to take a news site seriously when the first thing on its home page is "Launch Sponsor: Giant Corporation"?

Daria

They are only a few great political and news sites and a load of bad ones. I really hope they don't fall into the latter category, since The Verge is pretty decent but Polygon was never one of my favorites. I'm going to hold off on judgement until a couple months in on this one.

Looks like The Verge and Polygon actually. Aesthetically pretty, but will there actually be substance behind it?

It's by the team that brought you Wonkblog, so:

- Ezra Klein
- Sarah Kliff
- Brad Plumer
- Dylan Matthews

with

- Matt Yglesias

So, yes there will be a lot of substance.

How am I supposed to take a news site seriously when the first thing on its home page is "Launch Sponsor: Giant Corporation"?

It's by the Wonkblog gang.

Guess Who

Banned
Any chance they could move all the shitty political stories and "culture" items off The Verge now? No? Well, damn.

gutshot

Any chance they could move all the shitty political stories and "culture" items off The Verge now? No? Well, damn.

I don't really mind the pop culture stuff on The Verge, but it does seem like there will be some overlap here. Guessing they'll just cross-post it. Double-dipping is fun!

Kade

Looks like these fuckers are funded by General Electric so don't be surprised if there's any General Electric bias in their articles.

thefro

as long as you're ok with a liberal slant (vox was founded by kos and jerome armstrong) it should be good

CliffyB's brother too (he's still running Athletics Nation).

Kos is still on the Board of Directors so I'm sure he probably had input on who to hire for this.

Pretty crazy how big Vox has gotten... I remember kos posting about founding SB Nation back in the day.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Polygon is doing pretty well for a site everyone wrote off because of MS sponsoring it; Gies aside it's hard to find consistent bias on that site.

I'm interested in this if only because Vox Media has one of the best video teams on the Internet. Polygon and The Verge do some fantastic video stuff.

Watched the video. I was very confused when I saw the little teaser announcement on The Verge, but the concept is starting to make a lot more sense. And it sounds super cool.

I hope it works. I personally don't read the news nearly as much as should, but I absolutely love The Verge and Polygon… those are topics I'm inherently more interested, of course, but it's also the way everything is presented.

If they can pull this off, it will be amazing.

Considering the company as a whole is Vox media, I'm surprised they're calling this "Vox" instead of giving it its own name.

Do they eventually plan to integrate their other sites into it?

Jotaka

Lot of words and promises and full of potential but most of time they are just that... promises.

Just give one article so I can judge it.

Cloudy

Banned
Lot of words and promises and full of potential but most of time they are just that... promises.

Ezra and Melissa worked on WonkBlog for the Washington Post and Matt Yglesias worked at Slate. Go read some of their old stuff...

They gave us a super-well produced video. I know that's not quite an article but it gives us an idea of their style.

(It would be different if it was an ad made by an agency or something. But it was clearly produced in-house)

They've hired some good writers, it's not like Polygon where they assembled an all-star team of mediocre bloggers, they actually have some talent here.

"Launches" is a bit misleading. I get why do they this sort of thing, but I wish they would just put up the full site with articles and what not. Don't care for all the hype stuff.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What will Vox cover?

Politics, public policy, world affairs, pop culture, science, business, food, sports, and everything else that matters are part of our editorial ambit.

So everything and nothing, great.

Looks like these fuckers are funded by General Electric so don't be surprised if there's any General Electric bias in their articles.

right now the new york times has a big banner up top for norway's tourist board. are you worried about pro-norwegian bias in their stories? how about the wall street journal, currently advertising CME group? or reuters, which is running front-page ads for microsoft?

the wall between editorial and sales is something you have to trust any given publication to maintain.

corn_fest

right now the new york times has a big banner up top for norway's tourist board. are you worried about pro-norwegian bias in their stories? how about the wall street journal, currently advertising CME group? or reuters, which is running front-page ads for microsoft?

the wall between editorial and sales is something you have to trust any given publication to maintain.

Pretty sure kade's post was in jest :p
And yeah, in the long term it's almost certainly not a big deal, and I'm interested to see what content they produce. Having a news site launch with corporate sponsorship right out of the gate is just kind of offputting.
That said, the danger of GE bias in their stories is much lower than Polygon with Microsoft, and as enzo_gt said, that's turned out all right. So whatever.

VanWinkle

News and politics? ...Sounds like The Verge. But if it gets pop culture and politics further from The Verge and gets them back into a tech site, then that's good I guess.

News and politics? ...Sounds like The Verge. But if it gets pop culture and politics further from The Verge and gets them back into a tech site, then that's good I guess.
I stopped visiting the verge because there's too much bullshit to filter through. They need to go back to basics instead of trying to be the one stop shop for everything in the world.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I stopped visiting the verge because there's too much bullshit to filter through. They need to go back to basics instead of trying to be the one stop shop for everything in the world.

The movie reviews are the dumbest thing. Stick to tech, yo.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Would you like to see a bunch of self-important hipsters dressed in their favorite 70s-era garb while fondling their Apple products and looking busy? There's a big full screen video on the site for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom