• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VS. Puzzle |OT| Breaking News: Columns of Puyos have just Tetris Attacked Dr. Mario

petran79

Banned
Puzzles have a solution. That game is just different shaped blocks falling faster and faster. The Professor Layton series is an example of what I consider a real puzzle game. You are given lots of different puzzles to solve. Tetris and games like it belong in the genre with games like Breakout and Arkanoid. And those aren't puzzle games.

Blocks in this version fall at the same speed,but you have a time limit. It becomes like a guessing game and you get your chances. Also Layton's puzzles are so many that a lot of games also involve block puzzles similar to this game. A very hard one too. Could not solve it.

UFHD1.png

Tried doing the similar puzzle mode in Cleopatra Fortune few years ago and stuck at challenge 37. Cannot find any online info or walkthrough either. Game is that popular

PSFan

Blocks in this version fall at the same speed,but you have a time limit. It becomes like a guessing game and you get your chances. Also Layton's puzzles are so many that a lot of games also involve block puzzles similar to this game. A very hard one too. Could not solve it.

UFHD1.png

Tried doing the similar puzzle mode in Cleopatra Fortune few years ago and stuck at challenge 37. Cannot find any online info or walkthrough either. Game is that popular

Yes, but the blocks in that puzzle aren't falling from the top of the screen at an increasing rate of speed. The Layton block puzzle lets you take your time and think to solve it. Tetris type games are nothing like that. To me a puzzle is something you can take your time and think about to solve.

petran79

Banned
Yes, but the blocks in that puzzle aren't falling from the top of the screen at an increasing rate of speed. The Layton block puzzle lets you take your time and think to solve it. Tetris type games are nothing like that. To me a puzzle is something you can take your time and think about to solve.

If time is an issue, then I think games with no blocks like Chuchu Rocket would fit better. Can set Endless time limit with just trial and error. Btw Katrielle Layton has extra puzzles in the menu where you need to guide the dog out of a room while crossing specific items, similar to Chuchu.

chu-chu-rocket-gameplay.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited:

Shifty

Genre definitions are a broken system. It's a similar argument to the one around hack & slash / beat 'em up / character action sharing a similar basis in the 'action' genre but having various defining features and other semantics that make little sense when framed against their genre's definition in a literal way.

Think of it like this- each turn in Tetris (a.k.a. each time a new piece appears at the top) is a miniature puzzle in and of itself: you're being tasked with placing it in the most optimal location based on its shape and the existing configuration of blocks at the bottom of the well. Time is a factor, but the core gameplay loop the player executes boils down to 'solve for x' over and over again with the fail state being "solve wrong enough times to fill the well", versus "fail to solve it at all" for something more laid back like Layton.

Heck, if you want to go all the way with the literal definition of 'puzzle' - "to offer or represent to (someone) a problem difficult to solve or a situation difficult to resolve : challenge mentally" - then you can apply it to almost any skill-based videogame, because videogames are fundamentally about being presented with a problem and having to solve it. Take Street Fighter for example- Ryu just threw a hadoken at me, do I jump forward/neutral/back, do i block, or do I power through it with a special move of my own? The 'correct solve' in that case would be whichever one means I don't take a hit.

Last edited:
A few days old:

When Justin Wong throws his weight behind the game, it's worth paying attention. I've seen some incredible performance from Wong in Magical Drop III and Money Puzzle Exchanger. He knows his stuff if you're a Vs Puzzle fan.

Last edited:

greyshark

A few days old:

When Justin Wong throws his weight behind the game, it's worth paying attention. I've seen some incredible performance from Wong in Magical Drop III and Money Puzzle Exchanger. He knows his stuff if you're a Vs Puzzle fan.

This is awesome - definitely checking this game out.

Bumping this old thread to add Another Prime Example of games that aren't related to next gen.

I've been playing sessions of Puyo Puyo Tetris and Money Idol Exchanger on the Vita again, two of my favs. I think PPT may still be the best bang for your buck after all these years (in the puzzle genre, at least). The single player and the multiplayer are amazing, casual enough to play between sessions of Mario Kart but hardcore enough to obsess over.

Top Bottom