• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

W . . . T . . . F . . . 1,072lbs??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

teiresias

OMG!!! HI1072U!!!!!

SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota (AP) -- A man who once weighed more than half a ton has lost 321 pounds under the care of a team of doctors and hopes to lose 450 pounds more.

Patrick Deuel, 42, of Valentine, Nebraska, weighed 1,072 pounds when he was admitted to Sioux Falls' Avera McKennan Hospital eight weeks ago. Deuel, who is just under 6 feet tall, is on a 1,200 calorie-a-day diet.

"If we hadn't gotten him here, he'd be dead now," said Fred Harris, Deuel's lead doctor.

The former restaurant manager has been bedridden since last fall. He has battled heart failure, thyroid problems, diabetes, pulmonary hypertension and arthritis, and needed help just to roll over in bed.

"Until recently, I wasn't able to see any light at the end of the tunnel," he said Monday from his hospital bed.

A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel to be driven to a local livestock scale, where he could be weighed.

According to the Guinness World Records Web site, the record for heaviest man in the world is 1,397 pounds (629 kilograms), held by Jon Brower Minnoch of Bainbridge, Washington, who died in 1983.

Deuel, who has battled weight problems all his life and blames his condition in part on genetics, said it took months to find a hospital. Hospitals closer to his home balked at admitting him, he said.

"I got scared because I couldn't help him anymore, and I didn't know who would help him," said his wife, Edith.

Harris said Deuel's care could cost millions of dollars, much of which the hospital may have to cover. Officials found a special ambulance, and hospital workers joined two beds to accommodate Deuel.

One of Deuel's goals is to walk out of the hospital. He also wants to go to a Nebraska Cornhuskers football game, and just take a walk with his wife.

"Even though he's faced negativity all these years, he's not a negative person," Edith Deuel said. "He's almost always been able to stay bubbly and make jokes and be happy."

Desperado

We have a 1072 lb person here in the US...but in almost all of Africa people face not eating hardly anything at all. sad.

Greekboy

Banned
Anyone want a new avatar?:

story.vert.half.ton.man.ap.gif

8bit

Knows the Score
teiresias said:
Deuel, who has battled weight problems all his life and blames his condition in part on genetics, said it took months to find a hospital.

That's because hospitals generally aren't found inside cakes. I don't understand how the partner is happy to feed them. I'd tend to think that if you can't get out of your bed, you're not getting anything to eat.

Chittagong

Gold Member
He must be in Berserk mode while on a 1200 cal diet. It's hard to me and I weight less than a fifth of his weight!

Doth Togo

Quote:

Patrick Deuel, 42, of Valentine, Nebraska, weighed 1,072 pounds when he was admitted to Sioux Falls' Avera McKennan Hospital eight weeks ago. Deuel, who is just under 6 feet tall, is on a 1,200 calorie-a-day diet.

story.vert.half.ton.man.ap.gif

Patrick Deuel, aka Patrick McFatty, brother of Patty McFatty.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel to be driven to a local livestock scale, where he could be weighed.

that line made me laugh. I mean, are they trying to preserve his diginity by weighing him like livestock?

According to the Guinness World Records Web site, the record for heaviest man in the world is 1,397 pounds (629 kilograms), held by Jon Brower Minnoch of Bainbridge, Washington, who died in 1983.

He's a quitter, he only had a couple more hundred pounds to go to win a tittle.

Slo

I blame the wife. Sure, it's his fault too, but when he became too fat to get out of bed to get his own food at around 600+ pounds, what happened after that?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Slo said:
I blame the wife. Sure, it's his fault too, but when he became too fat to get out of bed to get his own food at around 600+ pounds, what happened after that?

syrup-stained sheets

human5892

Queen of Denmark
belgurdo said:
How else can losers make themselves feel better despite their own flaws?
Oh, he's right, everyone! We're all just making fun of him because we need to feel superior, not because his enormous physical girth is positively bursting with potential for a good-natured wise-crack! Our shame! We must ROLL in our SHAME!!

belgurdo
When it comes to stupid whiny generalizations there is no power greater than I

Tool

Banned
In all seriousness I wonder how you can get to that state? In order to maintain that kind of weight you have to eat ALOT each day. I'm talking constant eating here. You've got to eat every hour of every day I would imagine. How many calories a day does it take to maintain > 1000 lbs???

Did they mention how long it took him to get to that weight?

Slo

Teh Hamburglar said:
People make fun of people who are fat, fat guy loses weight and still gets made fun of. Fucktards.

It's good that he's losing weight, but he's not just some anonymous fatty. That's not holiday weight, he didn't just let himself go over the years. That kind of obesity takes years of takes active participation in your own destruction, and a total lack of self respect.

Tool said:
In all seriousness I wonder how you can get to that state? In order to maintain that kind of weight you have to eat ALOT each day. I'm talking constant eating here. You've got to eat every hour of every day I would imagine. How many calories a day does it take to maintain > 1000 lbs???

Did they mention how long it took him to get to that weight?

You don't have to provide more calories to maintain fat. That's only true for muscle pounds. Add to that the fact he's in bed, and only uses enery for eating, urinating and deficating.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Slo said:
It's good that he's losing weight, but he's not just some anonymous fatty. That's not holiday weight, he didn't just let himself go over the years. That kind of obesity takes years of takes active participation in your own destruction, and a total lack of self respect.

There HAS to be something else wrong with him, though...

That's just too much weight.

AssMan

Banned
It's facked up making fun of the guy. He's probably suffering from some kind of depression and just gorges himself with food. Humans are so weak...

Tool

Banned
muncheese said:
You don't have to provide more calories to maintain fat. That's only true for muscle pounds. Add to that the fact he's in bed, and only uses enery for eating, urinating and deficating.

Once you get past 400 lbs, you have to eat ALOT to keep on putting on weight. The fact that he had a total lack of physical activity would not be the greatest factor for him putting on more and more weight up to 1000 lbs. If you eat a reasonable amount of food per day (approx 2000 calories) for an average man, you won't get to be 1000 lbs regardless of how inactive you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom