• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War on Olympus vs Ragnarök

Which was the better war?

• War on Olympus

Votes: 83 81.4%
  • Ragnarök

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • Tie/Can't decide

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Simple question, which one was the better war? The War on Olympus in GOWIII or Ragnarök in, well, Ragnarök.

GymWolf

Gold Member
gow3 felt more epic, not gonna lie.

But i enjoyed the humanoid boss fights way more than stuff like kronos or the water dude (or really any boss fight in gow3)

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
One of the most important Greek gods and you call him the water dude lmao?
i wasn't sure how to write his name in english, better call him water dude than violate his name:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I wasn't sure about kronos neither since it's called crono in italian language.

Last edited:

Quantum253

Olympus: Young warrior full of rage and anger set to destroy the world. Great set pieces, combos, and weapon variations. Story was okay, but gameplay and waiting to see what next big set piece or act of violence was what made it good.

Asgard: Mature general whose gone through a long journey and almost at redemption. Story and character development are amazing along with set pieces. The story and what happens next to the amazing set of characters are what keep you engage and not wanting to put it down.
By far Ragnorok in terms of character development, open world building, and gameplay. One of the best games I've played in a long time. I would anticipate an Atreus ( named in memory of Kratos' younger brother) and Kratos live action show over Last of Us any day.

YukiOnna

Ragnarok was the epitome of a wet fart in this regard, all I could think was "That's it...?". And no, Kratos being an old man and all general has nothing to do with how they structure and focus on events in the game. It absolutely still could have been a massive game/half game length event. It felt like the game built up to Fimbulwinter than Ragnarok, lol.

Easily War on Olympus.

Ar¢tos

i wasn't sure how to write his name in english, better call him water dude than violate his name:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I wasn't sure about kronos neither since it's called crono in italian language.
s-l400.jpg

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
At the end of GOW 2, we have Kratos in a great CG cinematic claim war on Olympus. In GOW 3, the CG became real time gameplay. You can't beat that upgrade. It was just amazing. In GOW 3, Kratos explain what he did and what he will do. Kill Zeus, and he did. This is lost on Ragnarok. But I voted for Ragnarok anyway. Because the build up is better. Even with all the small defaults that take away from perfection. Ragnarok is just a so much bigger game. As a young man GOW 3 was the best I could imagine. With GOW 2018 and Ragnarok I found out that there is still more to do with gaming. And the fact that the set pieces are not as good as GOW 3 was not a failure but a choice from Santa Monica. They concentrated on the story. So we may have some in the next one. In a sense Ragnarok is the GOW 2 again. So we still have a GOW 3 to "finish" this saga and move on from old kratos and angry Atreus. I trust them and can't wait for the next game.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I played Ragnorok and remember it was fun and looked good. But I don't remember much about it. Good boss fight in the end, lots of killing.

Kokoloko85

Both Awesome. Beating Zues was more epic. Combat, gameplay and how story was better done in Ragnarok. But OGtrilogy felt more epic in alot of ways.
Old Kratos over Young Kratos.

Last edited:
I thought for sure the entire wall of Asgard would come crashing down. I thought there would be an apocalyptic storm. I thought we would fight along side the world serpent. I thought friends would die during the battle.
I mean come on.

Ragnarök was fairly disappointing to me. The entire final "battle" felt no different from the previous 10 hours of the game.

Not to mention the fight with Odin was lame compared to the final fight with Zeus. Felt like I was beating up a frail old man. Not the god of gods.

It was my most anticipated game this year. So I really wanted to like it. But overall I felt it was much weaker than the previous game. And honestly was a bit of slog just to complete it. I hated every time the game made me switch to playing as Atreas and the B plot It was such a momentum killer.

What happened to the actual giant "Ragnarok"? You just step through a portal at the end and ignore him. Is he still on the loose?

They could always bring him back and have him attack Egypt.

Go_Ly_Dow

Ragnarock was a let down and fell flat. The final bosses were also a real bore.

Seems like FFXVI is about to out set piece the new God of War games from what they've shown in the trailers and deliver much more memorable encounters.

It's a shame as this was the bread and butter of classic God of War.

The Stig

I think Olympus was a bit more epic but it was the entire game, ragnarok itself was pretty much the ending of the game.

I think I preferred Ragnarok because of all the characters involved but I totally understand preferring the huge/epic nautre of the war on olympus

edit - man the god of war series really is consistently good.

also to those with a ps4/5 God of War 3 remastered is great!

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Ragnarock was a let down and fell flat. The final bosses were also a real bore.

Seems like FFXVI is about to out set piece the new God of War games from what they've shown in the trailers and deliver much more memorable encounters.

It's a shame as this was the bread and butter of classic God of War.
Thank god they specified the God of War they took influence from was the classic trilogy. Set pieces and scripted portions are important IMO.

Yoboman

GOW3 at least the first 30 minutes. Wasn't much to it after that

Apparently that's the only part of GOW3 that Barlog finished before leaving. The man has a different eye for what's possible. While Ragnarok ending was cool, I reckon Barlog direction would have way more spectacle in the Thor and Odin fights for Ragnarok

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
As good as the game was, the Ragnarok event was pretty meh. Not being able to get a greater scale/scope and just focusing on the consecutive camera shot aspect of the game really let it down.

GOW3 at least the first 30 minutes. Wasn't much to it after that

Apparently that's the only part of GOW3 that Barlog finished before leaving. The man has a different eye for what's possible. While Ragnarok ending was cool, I reckon Barlog direction would have way more spectacle in the Thor and Odin fights for Ragnarok
Yea I think it's the classic director switch which is a problem as old as time. Just look at the Star Wars reboot trilogy for a great example.

Or even Naughty Dog with Bruce Straley out of the picture keeping Druckman's personal ideas in check. Uncharted trilogy compared to Uncharted 4 as well with Amy Hennig leaving.

killatopak

Gold Member
Olympus was amazing. They could sell me a game with just the intro and I would buy it. It was epic and an amazing showpiece when my friends visited.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
GoW3, for the simple fact that Kratos called every shot. Mean, badass and ruthless.
In Ragnarok he is a little bitch that gets pushed around and told what to do by every single cast member. Meh.

j0hnnix

GOW3 all the way.

Rag was nice.. eventually i got tired of it halfway.. great looking game I will give it that credit.

BootsLoader

Banned
Olympus of course. The scale of the battles themselves was unbelievable. Kratos reminded Kratos. Not a lot of chit chat and combat gave you a lot of satisfaction in comparison with Ragnarok.

They were both amazing experiences.

But yeah the Oympus war was faaaaar more EPIC. There's no argument about that.

The final conclusion of Ragnarok was not all that satisfying from a spectacle perspective. It certainly was satisfying in terms of tying up all the character stories and sub-plots; with the most egregious exception being the Loki Mask one.

Lol anyone who says ragnarok has to have been 10 years old when god of war 3 came out.

Even god of war 2 had a more badass ending than ragnarok

Shubh_C63

• Scope, vision, length, and badassness = GOW 3 War on Olympus
  • Combat depth, set pieces, production value, and build-up = GOW Ragnarok.
Ragnarok build up was really insane. I was genuinely excited, but I guess the path was more important than the destination.

Top Bottom