• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was Game Gear the only portable with a TV tuner?

goodcow

I remember back in fifth grade during lunch we'd all be watching TV on my Game Gear... I can't remember whatever happened to it though.

Anyway, was Game Gear the only portable with a TV tuner?

goodcow

Ever, I meant.

I had no idea GBA had a TV tuner, but then again, I don't have a GBA. Is it from Nintendo, or a third party?

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
goodcow said:
I had no idea GBA had a TV tuner, but then again, I don't have a GBA. Is it from Nintendo, or a third party?
Third party. The Turbo Express also had a TV tuner that was first party.

goodcow said:
I remember back in fifth grade during lunch we'd all be watching TV on my Game Gear... I can't remember whatever happened to it though.

Anyway, was Game Gear the only portable with a TV tuner?

Turbo Express also had it.

Ponn

Banned
Turbo Express had one, GBA has one but you really really don't want it unless you are a very techie person and don't mind endangering your GBA.

I'm sure PSP will have a hack soon. Hell, I can now turn on and off my slim PS2 and control any Sony WEGA TV with it.

ChrisReid

There was a GBA one that required no modification nor techie ability whatsoever. You just pop it in the cartridge slot. It had various inputs as well. I played Halo on my GBA with it.

Reilly

Im pretty sure the Turbo Express was the first handheld with TV Tuner. It was also the first with a color, backlit screen. NEC was so ahead of it's time...:(

MegaByte

Ponn01 said:
GBA has one but you really really don't want it unless you are a very techie person and don't mind endangering your GBA.
How so? I have one and all you do is plug it in...

Agent X

Reilly said:
Im pretty sure the Turbo Express was the first handheld with TV Tuner. It was also the first with a color, backlit screen. NEC was so ahead of it's time...:(

Actually, the Atari Lynx (introduced in 1989) was the world's first handheld video game system with a backlit color screen.

not only was GameGear *not* the only portable with a TV Tuner, it was not even the first to have one.

the PC Engine GT / TurboExpress had a TV tuner first. not only before the GameGear TV tuner came out, but before the GameGear itself came out :)

Cheerilee

MegaByte said:
How so? I have one and all you do is plug it in...
Yeah, but it doesn't have a "Nintendo Seal of Approval" on it, which means you risk making your GBA go kablooey if you use it.

(Oddly, third party PlayStation products are the only ones that I've ever seen have that effect.)

Johnny

This thread is now about the Turbo Express.

turboexpress2yl.jpg

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
ruby_onix said:
Yeah, but it doesn't have a "Nintendo Seal of Approval" on it, which means you risk making your GBA go kablooey if you use it.
Didn't Agatsuma Entertainment ever launch its officially licensed one in Japan?

Top Bottom