• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best gaming TV under $2400?

Yamisan

Hello everyone, I'm looking for a new TV. I can't stand my 55-inch TCL anymore; it is so bad I can't use HDR on it. I mainly use the TV for PS5 90% of the time and Netflix\crunchyroll 10% of the time. I can't go any lower than 55 inches; what would everyone recommend? Is it still the LGC1 for this price range? Edit.. I'm seeing good things on rtings saying the best is the Samsung S90C OLED which is only $1600 on Amazon for the 65 inch. o.o

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Samsung S90C

The 65" is well below $2,400. I think you can get the 77" for around $2,400. My only complaint is that it doesn't allow DTS passthrough to the soundbar. That isn't an issue if you pass through from the soundbar to the TV, but make sure your soundbar supports VRR or else you lose that function by going soundbar to TV.

Last edited:

Yamisan

Samsung S90C

The 65" is well below $2,400. I think you can get the 77" for around $2,400. My only complaint is that it doesn't allow DTS passthrough to the soundbar. That isn't an issue if you pass through from the soundbar to the TV, but make sure your soundbar supports VRR or else you lose that function by going soundbar to TV.
Thats the TV I'm looking into, the 65 inch version though due to space. I believe my soundbar is pass through to tv, its a cheap one since my old receiver died and I'm stuck in a small room for gaming . My sound bar is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CGVTVMN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reallink

Samsung OLED's have really undercut LG on price, to the point you get G-series performance for significantly less than C-series pricing. Samsung's only real problems was that they don't actually support HGIG, and their game mode was wildly inaccurate with limited calibration options, and I'm not entirely sure they ever patched/fixed that with a firmware update. Not putting MLA on the C4 is going to prove a disastrous blunder on LG's part as I fully expect Samsung is going to eat their lunch this year.

Last edited:
I have a 55" S95C and I couldn't recommend it enough for gaming. The picture and input lag are astonishingly good, and the TV really shines with HDR.
However, you can get the majority of features with S90C for a lower price.

Also, if you are big on movies, the Sony A95L (if it fits your budget) may be a better option. S95C's upscaling is OK, but not top-tier. I originally didn't put much considerations into this, but the vast majority of content on the major streaming services is still HD, requiring upscaling. The newer 4K HDR movies look mind-blowing, though.

Threads like this make me think about how I used a 720p monitor until last year and a 20 year old LCD until I won a free new television from work a couple years back. 😆 Admittedly the monitor was a big upgrade I didn't think I needed. Maybe one day I will look into a top tier television, interesting to look at what's being recommended.

Kuranghi

Your use case is a time you should be considering a FALD LCD, can you get an 85" Sony X95L for $2400? If that's too expensive or big then an Sony X93L in appropriate size, or Hisense U8K in a larger size that keeps you under 2400.

Games are better on LCD imo, because the pixel response time makes 30fps games look way better, bright anime also will shine on bright LCD.

Example of bright FALD LCDs advantage over OLED, when I was playing Ghost of Tsushima last night the bright yellow leaves of the forest and blue skies looked fucking amazing. My OLED would give better overall contrast but would dim significantly and the HDR impact is rubbish in comparison.

Your use case is a time you should be considering a FALD LCD, can you get an 85" Sony X95L for $2400? If that's too expensive or big then an Sony X93L in appropriate size, or Hisense U8K in a larger size that keeps you under 2400.

Games are better on LCD imo, because the pixel response time makes 30fps games look way better, bright anime also will shine on bright LCD.

Example of bright FALD LCDs advantage over OLED, when I was playing Ghost of Tsushima last night the bright yellow leaves of the forest and blue skies looked fucking amazing. My OLED would give better overall contrast but would dim significantly and the HDR impact is rubbish in comparison.
Brightness is no longer an issue with QD-OLED gen 2 used for high end Samsung / Sony and MLA panels used on LG G3. They are very, very bright.

Kuranghi

Brightness is no longer an issue with QD-OLED gen 2 used for high end Samsung / Sony and MLA panels used on LG G3. They are very, very bright.

I'm not talking about peak highlights i mean the overall brightness of the screen, its significantly dimmer than my ZD9.

I'm talking 25% and 50% window sort of situations, I don't have a modern OLED but I can see them side by side and see the difference in my bright shop, let alone in a normally lit room.

Have you ever actually seen a very bright, high zone count LCD next to an OLED showing the same content?

Last edited:
I'm not talking about peak highlights i mean the overall brightness of the screen, its significantly dimmer than my ZD9.

I'm talking 25% and 50% window sort of situations, I don't have a modern OLED but I can see them side by side and see the difference in my bright shop, let alone in a normally lit room.

Have you ever actually seen a very bright, high zone count LCD next to an OLED showing the same content?
I have seen them on display in stores when I was evaluating what to buy. The top-tier LCDs obviously have higher peak brightness. But the new OLEDs are very bright, to a point I get uncomfortable watching them in dark rooms when very bright content is shown.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
DKKb_yXXoAAAz6k.jpg

$2400 is a large budget for a TV, you can basically pick anything

It more or less comes down to, do you care about burn-in or not? If that's important to you, and as a gamer it ought to be important to you, then pick the best MiniLED backlit LCD TV with the lowest input lag you can find. There are good models from Samsung and Hisense which offer extremely low input lag. I personally own a Samsung QN85C Neo QLED TV and that TV has input lag as low as good gaming monitors. The Sony TV's offer better picture quality but also have higher input lag but if you aren't really playing super twitch games like shooters and fighting games, you might be fine with the Sony models. Lots of good options when your budget is $2400

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Definitely hold on for a month or so before deciding, the manufacturers always unveil/release their new lineups from late spring, leading to big reductions on their current products.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark

The #1 expensive TV on ebay

OP’s price range

Great to see someone tv shopping I think lg, sharp, Sony are great selections, hd 4k represents how powerful gaming has moved forward.

Holy fuck I had no idea the old 1080p Panasonic plasmas were going for $500-$2500, I was going to basically give mine away to anyone who felt like coming to pick it up.

Dorago

Hello everyone, I'm looking for a new TV. I can't stand my 55-inch TCL anymore; it is so bad I can't use HDR on it. I mainly use the TV for PS5 90% of the time and Netflix\crunchyroll 10% of the time. I can't go any lower than 55 inches; what would everyone recommend? Is it still the LGC1 for this price range? Edit.. I'm seeing good things on rtings saying the best is the Samsung S90C OLED which is only $1600 on Amazon for the 65 inch. o.o

Every OLED under 70" is less than $2,000 now.

Just go on Rtings and see which one has the highest HDR Gaming score.

I've had a 65" LG C9 since early 2020, but decided to get something a little smaller for Rebirth, I ended up landing on a 42" LG C3 for less than $1000.

If you're in the market for a new TV, I'd wait until the 24' sets from LG and Samsung start dropping. (I picked up my C3 due to this).

A few months ago, I considered the S90C, but spent a little more for the Sony A95K. Highly recommended. I have several LG OLED as well, but the Sony is my PS5 TV.

Samsung has been repeatedly caught cheating benchmarks in their firmware. Don't trust them with your money.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

LG G4 looks promising as the new OLED king as LG is finally promising to significantly improve suppression of white subpixel overshoot and near-black processing, 2 important things they have been neglecting for years.

But I would wait for Vincent's (HDTVTest on youtube) review first. And it's gonna take at least few months before it becomes cheaper, release prices are a daylight robbery.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

The 2024 beastly Sony models will be shown in mid April.

I'd wait for them.

Don't like Samsung and LG's build quality or picture processing...

saintjules

I got a LG B3 77" OLED for $1800 to put it into some perspective. I'd imagine you can find something in the C series for the budget you have.

Kuranghi

LG is finally improving its processing but only for G4 model, it's getting better SOC.

Thats good to hear, they make their own in house SoC don't they? So how do we know it's really a new chip and not just then making up a new bullshit name for it?

Not challenging you on the truth of it, just wondering if it can be verified and where if so.

S0ULZB0URNE

Thats good to hear, they make their own in house SoC don't they? So how do we know it's really a new chip and not just then making up a new bullshit name for it?

Not challenging you on the truth of it, just wondering if it can be verified and where if so.
They do use constant revisions of there own in house SOC.
The SOC they use gives HDMI 2.1 in all ports which is nice but I like the Pentonic/XR combo myself.

dotnotbot

Yeah it's mainly based on their claims right now, "Our Fastest Processor Yet" with better upscalling etc. and also better near-black gradation according to Vincent's info. We will know more details soon as it releases this month. Better overshoot suppression was already shown by Vincent on a pre-production sample (from ~5:20, a bit earlier he briefly mentions improved near-black gradation):

xQ1dJ7O.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom