• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs: Legion Isn’t Set in the Us “To Make the Watch Dogs Brand Bigger” – Creative Director.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

While the first two games in the series were set in American cities, Watch Dogs: Legion is set in London, and according to the game’s creative director Clint Hocking, that’s been done to make the brand bigger and more global. According to Hocking, the developers wanted to tackle problems in the world outside of the United States, and decided to do so with a London setting in Watch Dogs: Legion.

“To make the Watch Dogs brand bigger, you don’t need to stick to the US, you need to approach the world more,” Hocking said while speaking at the recent UBIDAY 2019 Tokyo event (via Famitsu). “There were also problems in various parts of the world, so I thought it would be interesting to focus on it.”

Shai-Tan

Banned
Not the only reason obviously. London fits well thematically with the series wrt mass surveillance . I’m interested in seeing where they go with the “post brexit” dystopia but it’s an Ubisoft game so I imagine it’s not going to say anything of substance beyond narrative flavor for the typical video game authoritarian bad guys.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
The setting should have been a remote village in the deepest parts of Tasmania. How about that for mainstream appeal.

I think they fucked up this one. Just make a regular game where you play a single protagonist. Make it the GTA London sequel we have all been waiting for.

GAMETA

Banned
Unbiased leftist developers shove their agendas into players on their brand new non-political political game.

ZeroGravity

Creatively that's probably the right call, but I dunno, I just don't find London interesting so the game is much less on my radar than the previous ones.

plushyp

My problem with the setting is that Ubisoft didn't justify the narrative progression to sell me on the idea that things have gone this bad in just a single game. This is like jumping from AC2 to AC: Black Flag in the sense that I feel like the storytelling of 3 games is missing/skipped.

EDMIX

Clint Hocking said in an interview Watch Dogs Legion is definitely political unlike the rest of Ubi games.

Never mind them, they love taking anything out of context to fit a agenda. From what I've read, they never said anything about their games not being political, simply that they themselves don't take any stance. So I guess they must repeat the out of context stuff to get attention or something. smh.

I don't even know how you create something like this without being political, the thing happening is based on policy in the first place. I guess we are dealing with Mario gamers that can't stay up at night to watch West Wing or House Of Cards.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
9z2UHJQmV2eVuRhWD8Q4ZL-650-80.jpg

Boss Mog

I predict it will be even worse than 2. Knowing Ubisoft they'll probably add their shitty RPG system of gear lvl that they added to Ghost Recon Breakpoint for no reason.

ruvikx

Banned
So if it's in London, do we get Muslim extremists, black gangs & far left "extinction rebellion" attacking normal commuters just trying to go to work & live in peace whilst the cops & courts use camera surveillance to make sure no one trespasses against the Politically Correct neo-religion of our era? Probably not.

We'll get "evil old white men who're evil because they're for law & order + national sovereignty". Hello Ubisoft, your gender, racial, religious & sub-80 IQ diversity has been duly noted.

EDMIX

I'm happy to see the series go else where as this opens up lots of possibilities for them in the future. I'd love to see them go to a near future Japan and tackle the effects of AI, automation etc.

I'm happy to see the series go else where as this opens up lots of possibilities for them in the future. I'd love to see them go to a near future Japan and tackle the effects of AI, automation etc.

If it's set in Japan it will be about a woman going against a patriarchal world keeping her down, tentacle jokes and other "funny" observations about Japan 30 years ago.

Top Bottom