• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watchmen Chapter 1 & 2 Teaser.

clarky

Gold Member

"Warner Bros. Entertainment has premiered the teaser trailer (in 4K) of its upcoming animated two-film adaptation of Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons’ iconic 1986 graphic novel “Watchmen”.
The CG-rendered new take is rated R and is being described as a “faithful animated adaptation” of the work.
It was first announced way back in 2017 then went quiet for a few years before coming up again at San Diego Comic Con last year.
The comic takes place in an alternate timeline where superheroes changed history. The property was famously adapted into live-action by Zack Snyder in 2009 though made some key changes.
HBO released a highly acclaimed limited TV series sequel to the comic in 2019 which starred the likes of Regina King, Jeremy Irons and Jean Smart.
The first part is targeting an August 13th 2024 release on disc with the second part coming in 2025."

Is there anyone on planet earth who doesn't know the story by now? Will watch regardless.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

I quite liked the show. Obviously not a patch on the original story but found it interesting enough to watch it all.
That is what probably just got to me the most. I really didn't go into it with an open mind either. I wanted a continuation but also some of the same from the original story.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
That is what probably just got to me the most. I really didn't go into it with an open mind either. I wanted a continuation but also some of the same from the original story.

It's a continuation of the overall story, just not the way you wanted. It's a common fan mistake. Made that a few times myself. Which is why I take every new thing on its own merits and not what *I* want. I keep my mind open most of the time now. I can still be disappointed but not much anymore because of something doesn't agree with me, I just turn it off if I can. Or sit through it because I paid money at the theater!

ETA: I liked how they wove the Tulsa massacre into the main character's story.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

Some of those shots are directly from the movie, which could be directly from the comic, don’t know didn’t read it. Or did they animate the movie’s storyboards.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I like the idea, but the ugly 3D animation kills it for me. Looks like a non interactive Telltale game
Same feeling here. Something about the animation just feels ropey

The comic was amazing.
I also liked the movie, not sure I’ll be watching this two parter animated film. The look and feel of it puts me off.

Feels like a cutscene from a video game.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Some of those shots are directly from the movie, which could be directly from the comic, don’t know didn’t read it. Or did they animate the movie’s storyboards.
Movie was almost a shot for shot of the novel in places if you get my drift, thats why they look similar if you're not familiar with the source material.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Is this coming to theater? I would watch it at home, but I don't think I could make it to the theater.
I think its straight to bluray/streaming, well as far as i can tell from a quick google.

Could be a place holder but the date is so close i don't see it getting a theatrical release.

RedC

Surprised people didn't like the TV show. I thought it was fantastic. Even more so that it was a continuation of the comic more so than the film.

I'll give this a shot. I really hope they can weave the "Tales of the Black Freighter" more.
Dare I say the TV Show was more faithful to the spirit of the graphic novel than Zach Snyder's film adaptation.

Doom85

It's a continuation of the overall story, just not the way you wanted. It's a common fan mistake. Made that a few times myself. Which is why I take every new thing on its own merits and not what *I* want. I keep my mind open most of the time now. I can still be disappointed but not much anymore because of something doesn't agree with me, I just turn it off if I can. Or sit through it because I paid money at the theater!

ETA: I liked how they wove the Tulsa massacre into the main character's story.

I need to watch the show, but yeah I’ve heard some say it’s actually pretty enjoyable.

I also need to read Tom King’s Rorschach comic, apparently it’s a far better Watchmen-verse comic than those Before Watchmen comics from years back that were pretty unremarkable from what I heard. And people have advised me I’ll be more likely to enjoy Doomsday Clock if I read it as a story about Superman as opposed to a story about the Watchmen characters.

The movie was enjoyable, but leaving out even some sub-elements made it feel significantly lesser. Rorschach’s psychiatrist just exists in the movie as opposed to being fleshed out. The newspaper vendor and the boy hugging in the penultimate chapter in the comic was emotional as we actually spent time with them, in the movie it’s just a visual reference with no weight as we spent no time with them prior.

Mind you, I’ve not seen the Director’s Cut (if there is one), which could fix some of these issues.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I need to watch the show, but yeah I’ve heard some say it’s actually pretty enjoyable.

I also need to read Tom King’s Rorschach comic, apparently it’s a far better Watchmen-verse comic than those Before Watchmen comics from years back that were pretty unremarkable from what I heard. And people have advised me I’ll be more likely to enjoy Doomsday Clock if I read it as a story about Superman as opposed to a story about the Watchmen characters.

The movie was enjoyable, but leaving out even some sub-elements made it feel significantly lesser. Rorschach’s psychiatrist just exists in the movie as opposed to being fleshed out. The newspaper vendor and the boy hugging in the penultimate chapter in the comic was emotional as we actually spent time with them, in the movie it’s just a visual reference with no weight as we spent no time with them prior.

Mind you, I’ve not seen the Director’s Cut (if there is one), which could fix some of these issues.

I have Doomsday Clock... It is AMAZING!

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
The original intention of this work was to lay to rest the superhero genre by turning every trope inside out and offering a scathing critique of the very idea of a masked vigilante by portraying the characters as twisted and grotesque.

Constantly remaking it goes against all that, especially when it's made to look just like any other superhero franchise.

Last edited:

Doom85

The original intention of this work was to lay to rest the superhero genre by turning every trope inside out and offering a scathing critique of the very idea of a masked vigilante by portraying the characters as twisted and grotesque.

I doubt it was, or at least Alan Moore changed his mind, as he got frustrated that comics of the 90’s got too “dark and edgy” by imitating Watchmen (and Dark Knight Returns). Just because something has a deconstruction doesn’t mean it has to become that, that’s like saying all mecha anime had to be like Evangelion after it aired.

Though he has attacked comic books at times, but does it such ridiculous extreme ways (apparently he once suggested reading comics can lead to fascist thinking. The fuck?) and can be such an obnoxious prick at times (he once insulted anyone who DARED to enjoy a Grant Morrison written comic. Salty much, Moore, that newer writers are drawing attention away from you?) that while I enjoy some of his work, I don’t give a shit what he says personally. I know he got screwed over by certain people in terms of rights and such, but when he attacks/mocks people who had nothing to do with that, I can’t really empathize with his frustration with his works being continued/adapted in ways he didn’t want.

I know some simp for certain writers/creators and just tolerate any of their bullshit, but not me. You start verbally attacking/insulting your audience directly, don’t be shocked if some lose sympathy for you.

Top Bottom