• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 only had 1/4 of the people credited for working on the game compared to the last few titles by Capcom

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
From being there and playing it at release?
The game got lukewarm reviews at best at the time. Poor performances, bad writing, poor quest design and an overall feeling of being just half-baked were some the most common criticism at the time.

Yeah, critics were full of shit then too. Back in 2012 Japanese console games were out of fashion and simply weren't given much of chance.

So expecting them to actually find the real ending, as well as do more than the minimum in the Everfall.... Not very likely,

It's only with time that a cult following formed around the title, especially with the Dark Arisen improvements AND the Steam release that addressed the performance problems of the console versions.

Yeah riiiiiight. Console performance even on the then next gen was still locked to 30fps. And once again the DA expansion came out in 2013 right at the tail end of the PS3/360 gen, with the PC combo version arriving in 2016 AFTER the MMO was launched.

Its reputation was established long before it arrived on PC, so the significance of the Steam release is pretty minimal.

"A lot of us" doesn't mean fucking shit, though.
Four lunatics on this forum being rabid about it don't define general consesus.

My position is backed with facts. Which is why I don't need to resort to weak sauce ad-hominems to disprove your nonsense.

Astral Dog

I dont care about the $70 price tag. i spent 35 hours in the game. its good enough.

the problem i have is that the single player campaign feels half baked and very indie like. you have maybe 3 cutscenes in the game that are mocapped with people acting and talking. the rest are npcs standing around.

you also have just one mission that feels like a story mission with its own objectives and markers. the rest is simply going from one place in the world to another. most open world games have dedicated dungeons and areas for story missions.

i think they needed more people to flesh out this game. it seems like they had just enough devs to create an open world, fill it with enemies, update the combat system from the first game, and call it a day. its not about money, its about quality.
Sounds like the first Dragons Dogma

I doubt only 300 people worked on this game, also people seem mad at Itsuno for some reason,maybe DD2 didn't meet all expectations but it appears to be a very solid game, its Dragons Dogma not Monster Hunter

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Maybe the cold hard truth is that modern Capcom is just unable to live up to its legacy, despite the huge manpower at their disposal? Not holding my breath for Wilds either. Looked shockingly mediocre in the reveal trailer.

I don't agree with you at all. They've put out a steady stream of great games over the last couple of years with Exoprimal being a rare miss.

DD2 is being received extremely well both critically and commercially. Yes, the mtx thing was a foreseeable debacle, they do that with all their games too, but having put in 50~ hours into the game, I can safely say these are the most useless mtx and are things you can get by 5 minutes of grinding.

This whole thread is weird, people throwing shade at Capcom because a website did bad / incorrect reporting on how many people are listed in the credits.

Last edited:

tvdaXD

The MTX is completely useless as you get everything you need early on and never need to spend money.
So I've heard, doesn't change the fact they exist only to squeeze out more money, all while subjectively it doesn't perform as well as it should. How about spending some resources to improve the game first and have deleting save file functionality from the start?

I really wanna play the game, but I also really don't wanna support Crapcom or any other shitty company that values money over quality. The only way I can let that be known is by not buying the game, because money matters a lot to those scummy publishers and their out of touch investors.

Top Bottom