• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Way too many Warhammer games.

Krathoon

I have been collecting Warhammer games. There are too damn many.

There are a whole lot of strategy and RTS games.

Total Warhammer is currently the best one with lots of sequels and DLCs.

I like the FPS games too.

Like Boltgun.

...and Vermintide

...and Darktide

...and Space Marine

Of course, you also have space hulk.

...and, yes, I did get Dark Omen working on my computer.

What are your favorite experiences with the Warhammer games? Are there some old gems out there?

R6Rider

Gold Member
Space Marine and Boltgun are the ones I enjoyed.

None of the others really interest me. Looking forward to Space Marine 2.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'm playing Inquisitor:Martyr right now and I'm really enjoying it. Dawn of War II was still the pinnacle for me, I liked the small squad based combat and the focus on positioning.
I enjoyed the original Space Marine and have high hopes for the next one.
I keep dancing around getting Space Hulk, it was one of my favorite non-video games and I'm worried it doesn't do it justice.

Still hoping for a Total War epic scale 40k with Titans and massive battlefields.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I have several despite not being a big Warhammer guy.

Just finished Boltgun last night, which was fantastic.

I also had a great time with Inquisitor, and Vermintide.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I tried to get into Vermintide and DarkTide but the fun in those games is getting a group together. Which is near impossible if the game is dead and no one online plays it.

I have stopped bothering with any multiplayer/coop game for that reason.

So Total War is my favorite. Space marine is a close second.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Dawn of War is probably the best Warhammer game. Tons of content, lots of fun. Dawn of War 2 is good, but quite different. Dawn of War 3... We don't talk about Dawn nor War 3.

Space Marine is a fun game and Total War is really good and absolutely incredible in scale. Mechanicus is a good game if you XCOM style games.

SJRB

Gold Member
My collection:

jZKV3a3.png

Plus Boltgun on PS5.

Overall I enjoyed Battlesector and Boltgun the most, but it's incredible how diversified the IP is. First person shooters, RTS, ARPG, 4X.

Most of the garbage is on mobile.

Cyberpunkd

I refuse to pay 20€ on fucking key websites for BS anniversary edition they re-packaged to hike the price following SM2 announcement. This shit should be 5€ permanently now.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Is there a specific part of the lore that the games keep retreading or are they pretty varied?

Hudo

I have been collecting Warhammer games. There are too damn many.

There are a whole lot of strategy and RTS games.

Total Warhammer is currently the best one with lots of sequels and DLCs.

I like the FPS games too.

Like Boltgun.

...and Vermintide

...and Darktide

...and Space Marine

Of course, you also have space hulk.

...and, yes, I did get Dark Omen working on my computer.

What are your favorite experiences with the Warhammer games? Are there some old gems out there?

Dark Omen is probably the best real-time tactics game of all time. Even better than Myth 1 and 2. Maybe just as good as World in Conflict.

You should have posted the years these came out. space marine was on the 360. I feel like most of these scratch a different itch. I personally don't think there are too many. I would however be fine with fewer warhammer games in exchange for higher quality warhammer games.

badblue

Gold Member
I tried to get into Vermintide and DarkTide but the fun in those games is getting a group together. Which is near impossible if the game is dead and no one online plays it.

I haven't found DarkTide dead. Low player base for sure but I've had no problem filling up a lobby with randoms whenever I play.

Krathoon

I found a cheap key for the definitive ediition of Inquisitor. I do not like that the game requires you to be online.

The key was like $16. Steam is trying to sell it for $89.99.

That is absurd. This is why I always use key shops.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I haven't found DarkTide dead. Low player base for sure but I've had no problem filling up a lobby with randoms whenever I play.

Was more referring to Vermintide. Dark tide will go that way sooner rather than later. Would rather not play a game with an expiration date.

Mercador

If I remember correctly, Game Workshop gave the IP like candies a few years ago so it could explain that plethora of games.

Romulus

Yeah if this post was centered around the games that had only come out in the last couple of years, okay. But you're forced to go waaaay back to make an argument, and it's a bad one.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I have 900 hours in Total Warhammer II, another 350 in Warhammer III, and close to 500 hours between Vermintide II and Darktide. They're all damned good games, definitely some of my favorites from the last decade.

I've never played the Dawn of War series, but though I've heard DoW3 absolutely shit the bed, I still appreciate it for giving us one of the greatest CGI trailers of all time.

Is there a specific part of the lore that the games keep retreading or are they pretty varied?

The games can be broadly divided into two categories depending which tabletop experience they're based off of: Warhammer Fantasy Battles (medieval fantasy with a lot of influences from real-life history) or Warhammer 40,000 (grimdark sci-fi). These tabletop games have been around literally for decades and have other forms of media (books, especially), so the breadth of lore is quite vast. The only 40K game I've played is Darktide, which takes place on a single planet among millions in the galaxy. For the Fantasy universe, the Total Warhammer trilogy (grand strategy genre) depicts nearly all of the known world and most major characters featured in lore, while the two Vermintide games (first-person melee-focused co-op) take place in a specific part of the Empire as a group of heroes try to stall the End Times.

Mikado

I found a cheap key for the definitive ediition of Inquisitor. I do not like that the game requires you to be online.

FWIW Inquisitor has reached EOL and online is no longer functional.

Somewhat surprisingly, the devs did the decent thing and made a final jailbreak patch so you can play without online now, and the "seasons" are handled locally by just picking the season you want when you create your character.

The Stig

My collection:

jZKV3a3.png

Plus Boltgun on PS5.

Overall I enjoyed Battlesector and Boltgun the most, but it's incredible how diversified the IP is. First person shooters, RTS, ARPG, 4X.

Most of the garbage is on mobile.
I raise you:
warhammer-1.png

and
warhammer2.png

and there are shit ton more out there. i dont play the game but i love the 40k setting, lore etc and the fact that the humans in this universe are NOT the good guys. In fact, I dont think there are any good guys in 40k

edit: also space hulk for DOS. hard as balls game with some occasionally funny VA.

"I can smell them!"
"No"
"That's just Malloc!"

Last edited:

Valt7786

Needs more non-strategy (I know it's a bit anti-thetical given the source material) based games like Space Marine but for the other armies. Love to see one for the Battle Sisters especially.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?

That's also my main problem with Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters. It has Denuvo.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
FWIW Inquisitor has reached EOL and online is no longer functional.

Somewhat surprisingly, the devs did the decent thing and made a final jailbreak patch so you can play without online now, and the "seasons" are handled locally by just picking the season you want when you create your character.
Since when did they add an offline mode? I've checked Steam and as of March 2024 people are still seeing it's online only and nobody's mentioned that it has an offline mode now. The only thing I see with that the developers eventually want to add a patch with an offline mode but that hasn't seemed to happen yet.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
The games can be broadly divided into two categories depending which tabletop experience they're based off of: Warhammer Fantasy Battles (medieval fantasy with a lot of influences from real-life history) or Warhammer 40,000 (grimdark sci-fi). These tabletop games have been around literally for decades and have other forms of media (books, especially), so the breadth of lore is quite vast. The only 40K game I've played is Darktide, which takes place on a single planet among millions in the galaxy. For the Fantasy universe, the Total Warhammer trilogy (grand strategy genre) depicts nearly all of the known world and most major characters featured in lore, while the two Vermintide games (first-person melee-focused co-op) take place in a specific part of the Empire as a group of heroes try to stall the End Times.
Cool. That's interesting to know. 40k lore/books is something I've always been interested in getting into, but it's always daunting to figure out where to start and the older I get the less time I have and the more daunting it looks.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Loved Dawn of War and Space Marine, even when I know nothing about the boardgame or the lore.

Mechanics is also pretty cool, but I've barely played. Probably should give it another go, I remember the music, atmosphere and voiceacting being pretty cool.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Definitely have dug all the FPS games and the action ones. Looking forward to Space Marine 2 a big deal. Speed Freeks a bit too.

Scotty W

Don’t know anything about this series except that it apparently got pozzed recently. It sounds interesting, but I was always hoping for a killer app to jump in.

Cool. That's interesting to know. 40k lore/books is something I've always been interested in getting into, but it's always daunting to figure out where to start and the older I get the less time I have and the more daunting it looks.
Henry Cavill is helping to produce a series. I'm hoping it is well received enough for it to spread into other projects, whether animated or live action.

I understand how Marvel fans feel about MCU fans, because I consider myself MCU-like when it comes to Warhammer. I have absorbed the lore and stories through the video games I've played and only that. I'll probably do the same with the TV show and end up never actually diving into the books.

Top Bottom