• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We are in a AA and indie gaming heaven

Belmonte

Can moderation change the title of the thread to "We are in a gaming heaven"? I chose my words poorly and is distracting people from the point I'm trying to make.
----

Every month there is a thread about how fucked up our hobby is and how games these days are the worst. It confuses me every time, then I click in the thread title and realize the OP is talking about AAA games and how micro transactions and rehashed content are getting ridiculous.

I get the point and agree that many high budget titles are overdoing MTX and yeah, because of the polish, the games are taking too long to be released, but as a dude who plays more AA and indie titles than high budget games, I feel like I'm in a gaming heaven. What happened this year only:

* Resident Evil got definitely on the right track with RE2 Remake.
* DMCV is one of the best brawlers ever.
* Sekiro kick all sort of asses.
* One of the most original CRPGs was released, Disco Elysium.
* Tim Cain and Boyarsky released a new RPG franchise after all these years, The Outer Worlds.
* We had a new Metroidvania from Iga, Bloodstained.
* Nintendo released Link's Awakening remake, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Astral Chain and Super Mario Maker 2.
* Samurai Shodown was successfully revived.
* Ion Fury is a very good Build Engine game.
* We had a proper Contra Hard Corps spiritual sequel, Blazing Chrome.
* Monster Hunter Iceborne happened.
* Underrail: Expedition was released.
* Every month there are awesome indie games being released like Blasphemous, Xeno Crisis, Katana Zero, Baba is You, Risk of Rain 2, Wargroove, Valfaris...and many more.

I'm drowning in good games! And the they are cheaper than ever. Epic was giving The Messenger for free, you can play Gears 5 and The Outer Worlds for a ridiculous price with Gamepass and I bought Dark Souls 3, one of the best games I ever played, perhaps my favorite this generation, for peanuts on a Steam Sale. I feel almost guilty about it.

Edit:
Most discussions I see online regards AAA games as the really high budgets, like RDRs and GTAs. If the terminology is incorrect disregard the "AA" part of the thread title. We are in a great moment for gaming all around.

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

I like your enthusiasm and I agree that the games you listed that I have played are all great games but I would be hard pressed to call most of them AA . Resident Evil and Monster Hunter are certainly AAA titles done right but AAA none the less

Last edited:

Belmonte

I can count at least 9 AAA games on there. Either you're trolling or just don't know what you're talking about

When I say AAA I mean the really high budget titles.

Seems to me that when people says AAA these days, they usually are talking about the GTAs, RDR, CODs. Disregard the "AA" part of the thread if you want.

And obviously Gears 5 and Dark Souls 3 are AAA. I mentioned only to illustrate my point about how cheap the games are.

Last edited:

JoduanER2

Every month there is a thread about how fucked up our hobby is and how games these days are the worst. It confuses me every time, then I click in the thread title and realize the OP is talking about AAA games and how micro transactions and rehashed content are getting ridiculous.

I get the point and agree that high budget titles are overdoing MTX and yeah, because of the polish, the games are taking too long to be released, but as a dude who plays more AA and indie titles than high budget games, I feel like I'm in a gaming heaven. What happened this year only:

* Resident Evil got definitely on the right track with RE2 Remake.
* DMCV is one of the best brawlers ever.
* Sekiro kick all sort of asses.
* One of the most original CRPGs was released, Disco Elysium.
* Tim Cain and Boyarsky released a new RPG franchise after all these years, The Outer Worlds.
* We had a new Metroidvania from Iga, Bloodstained.
* Nintendo released Link's Awakening remake, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Astral Chain and Super Mario Maker 2.
* Samurai Shodown was successfully revived.
* Ion Fury is a very good Build Engine game.
* We had a proper Contra Hard Corps spiritual sequel, Blazing Chrome.
* Monster Hunter Iceborne happened.
* Underrail: Expedition was released.
* Every month there are awesome indie games being released like Blasphemous, Xeno Crisis, Katana Zero, Baba is You, Risk of Rain 2, Wargroove, Valfaris...and many more.

I'm drowning in good games! And the they are cheaper than ever. Epic was giving The Messenger for free, you can play Gears 5 and The Outer Worlds for a ridiculous price with Gamepass and I bought Dark Souls 3, one of the best games I ever played, perhaps my favorite this generation, for peanuts on a Steam Sale. I feel almost guilty about it.

AA and indie games are on fire!

Edit:
Most discussions I see online regards AAA games as the really high budgets, like RDRs and GTAs. If the terminology is incorrect disregard the "AA" part of the thread title. We are in a great moment for gaming all around.

You named 2 overrated games. Couldn't even finish DMCV, and from what ive read here in GAF a lot of people didnt enjoyed it as well. Its amazing graphics but shit story and not enough bosses. The Outer Worlds is really boring. The first half, which i played, was go to this place and on the way loot the same things over and over again, shoot a couple of guys and repeat. It was hyped only for the reason you pointed in your post. The characters are the most emotionless NPCs ever, and the design of interiors is really poor.

Last edited:

Belmonte

You named 2 overrated games. Couldn't even finish DMCV, and from what ive read here in GAF a lot of people didnt enjoyed it as well. Its amazing graphics but shit story and not enough bosses. The Outer Worlds is really boring. The first half, which i played, was go to this place and on the way loot the same things over and over again, shoot a couple of guys and repeat. It was hyped only for the reason you pointed in your post. The characters are the most emotionless NPCs ever, and the design of interiors is really poor.

I can't discuss The Outer Worlds since I didn't play it enough yet to have a deep conversation but DMCV is a great game. And most brawler fans I met love or at least respect what it is trying to do.

IMO the only weak spot is the level design. The combat is deep as hell, art is great (subjective, but I like it a lot), gorgeous animations and graphics. Only Nero has enough moves that he could be the only main character of the game if they wished. Dante is an encyclopedia of moves. You can sum 3-4 modern action games and compare with him and Dante will have more moves. And it is not only to add numbers, each of them has a function. There are many bosses, don't know why someone would think there aren't enough.

A minor issue the game has is the difficulty on normal mode. It is too easy and if you play on it, you won't need to use all the tools the characters have and depending of your skill, the gameplay, at least in the first half of the game, can feel trivial. If this is your experience, try to play on hard more (how to unlock it: beat Urizen in the prologue). All the complexity of the game will be much more apparent.

GreyHorace

Aren't games like A Plague Tale: Innocence and Greedfall considered AA titles? Why not include them on your list?

Greedfall was a good rpg btw.

Also... no Shenmue 3? That's got to be the most high profile indie title this year.

T-Tan

Neo Member
Aside from OP listing a few AAA titles, I agree.
Also I expect more AA studios and games in the future.
There has been a trend of game directors leaving big studios, out of frustration, to open their own studio and pursue more creative freedom.
A few that come to mind are:
  • Patrice Desilets who founded Panache Games, recently released Ancestors
  • Adrian Chmielarz who founded The Astronauts, now working on Witchfire
  • Raphael Colantonio who founded WolfEye

Life

I thought this was gonna be a thread about how indie devs are making games that are much more fun than AAA games.

Also, DMC5 is a one button mash to win game. Its repetitive gameplay loop is painful, and the attempt to alleviate it (by having 3 characters) doesn't work.

Last edited:

JoduanER2

I thought this was gonna be a thread about how indie devs are making games that are much more fun than AAA games.

Also, DMC5 is a one button mash to win game. Its repetitive gameplay loop is painful, and the attempt to alleviate it (by having 3 characters) doesn't work.

And there's not much strategy. I could repeat the same sequence, or very similar, for all enemies and beat the game.

Ar¢tos

I was away from gaming most of this year, now I have a lot to catch up on.
What were some good indies released this year for Ps4? (mostly interested in action games, rpgs or wacky never done before stuff)

Belmonte

Can moderation change the title of the thread to "We are in a gaming heaven"? I chose my words poorly and is distracting people from the point I'm trying to make.

I was away from gaming most of this year, now I have a lot to catch up on.
What were some good indies released this year for Ps4? (mostly interested in action games, rpgs or wacky never done before stuff)

I don't know your taste but give it a look at Blasphemous and Blazing Chrome. I really liked these two.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I don't know your taste but give it a look at Blasphemous and Blazing Chrome. I really liked these two.
Thanks! Shooting is not my thing, but Blasphemous is exactly the kind of game I like.
How is Death's Gambit on Ps4 now? I didn't buy at launch because of the bugs/issues, is it better now?

Belmonte

Thanks! Shooting is not my thing, but Blasphemous is exactly the kind of game I like.
How is Death's Gambit on Ps4 now? I didn't buy at launch because of the bugs/issues, is it better now?

No problem! I can't say much about Death's Gambit since I never played it but a similar game I found interesting is Salt & Sanctuary. It is a 2D Dark Souls and it plays like you expect from a 2D Souls. I played on PC though, so I don't know if the PS4 port is good.

Ar¢tos

No problem! I can't say much about Death's Gambit since I never played it but a similar game I found interesting is Salt & Sanctuary. It is a 2D Dark Souls and it plays like you expect from a 2D Souls. I played on PC though, so I don't know if the PS4 port is good.
Salt and Sanctuary artstyle really annoys me! Every character is a clone. I rather play pixel art/8bit/16bit style games.

Katsura

While i don't agree with the list, i definitely agree with the sentiment. AA and indie games are what makes gaming worthwhile. It has been for at least a few years now

The only AAA games i've enjoyed this gen were Nintendo exclusives and The Witcher 3. Meanwhile, we've seen the release of Slay the spire, Dead Cells, Into the breach, Noita, Blazing Chrome, Labyrinth of refrain, Has been heroes etc. To be honest there are too many to list at this point

The only time i even consider buying an AAA game now, outside of Switch exclusives, is if they are 75%+ discounted and even then it's rare i'm interested enough to buy it

Saber

Salt and Sanctuary artstyle really annoys me! Every character is a clone. I rather play pixel art/8bit/16bit style games.

I think what makes me avoid this game is unnecessary mechanics that are just there for the sake of cheesy difficulty. Like falling damage and reducing max stamina overtime.
I dunno much about Deaths Gambit but from videos I saw it didn't catch me.

Top Bottom