• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We Are Not Your Kind * Slipknot * New Album Discussion

TrainedRage

Banned
Slipknot-We-Are-Not-Your-Kind.jpg

Released on 8/9/2019

K1774-Slipknot-cover-header.jpg

Still no word on who the new drummer (melted face/tortilla face) is yet. We may never know.....
-------------
Track Listing
  1. Insert Coin
  2. Unsainted
  3. Birth Of The Cruel
  4. Death Because Of Death
  5. Nero Forte
  6. Critical Darling
  7. Liar’s Funeral
  8. Red Flag
  9. What’s Next
  10. Spiders
  11. Orphan
  12. My Pain
  13. Not Long For This World
  14. Solway Firth

------------------------------------
ITS OUT!!!! LISTENING NOW!!!!!!!!!!

o5exdi044c831.jpg

---------------
My Thoughts

1. Insert Coin.... Was not expecting the heavy synth intro. Very heady, I love it.
2. Un Sainted.... Amazing single. Heavy drums, melodic chorus. When It kicks in "I'm just weathering a rough patch......" You know its begun.
3. Birth Of The Cruel…. Now we get to hear Corey's voice in all it's splendor. From his deep poetic hymn at the start... To his clear screams in the refrain. Excellent work here by Cid on the tables. Anthem feels.
4. Death Because Of Death.... A nice interlude. Skippable.
5. Neo Forte.... MOTHER OF GOD YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are back and I don't give a f*** what you say! This is some Iowa type shit. But.... Refined. I don't know if its because Corey quit smoking but his voice is immaculate. The last 3rd of the track will bring back memories if you are an OG maggot.
6. Critical Darling.... Hard right off the bat. This is rocking, then takes you into a quiet place... Then it takes a baseball bat and smashes it. Very hypnotic, dare I say catchy. Getting Ghost vibes on the backup vocals and slower parts. Again Corey is on point with the vocals. The ending tho....
7. A Liars Funeral.... AMAZING vocals. We get some very melodic Stone Sour vibes. I really like this song, though it may not be classic Slipknot. This is an amazing evolution, chanting, mesmerizing. This shit is dark, but not just "thrashy" its a refined and weeping sort of sound.
8. Red Flag.... This is where the mosh takes over. This is Iowa. This is Bats on Kegs. Heavy. Your head will move. The guitars take over as the electronic madness takes hold. Got the chills. I need to see them do this one live. My God.
9. What's Next.... I mean... I dont know at this point..... Distorted keys and chords interlude. Into a horror show.
10. Spiders.... This is great, lol wow. This will be a video/single or on the radio. Catchy and dark piano. This almost sounds like old Marilyn Manson. Trippy and spiderlike. This is "that one song" on whatever album. Not my favorite but very memorable.
11. Orphan.... Hell yes! Dark synth chords. They are on point here with the mixing here. I'm a sucker for this shit. Amazing fast guitars kick in! This is some shit im going to drive my motorcycle at 120mph to. The song builds at a breakneck pace. Another heavy and hard rhythmic jam! Lyrics are telling a great dark story. Great atmosphere in this song. Cinematic while covered in dirt. Great song.
12. My Pain.... These intros are fu**ing amazing. Its slow and dark. Spacy and scary. Amazing synths. Fu** me this song is good and sooooooo not typical Slipknot. LISTEN TO THIS SONG PLEASE!!!!!! It's so heartfelt and sad. You can hear the pain and darkness in the lyrics. Clown definitely had something to do with this. This is a great sideshow! Slipknot don't give no f**ks anymore. And its great. Oh shit Sean is singing. Fu** me that's sad. wow. RIP That was like listening to a real life tragedy.
13. Not Long For This World.... Starting where My Pain left off with some weeping guitars and stinging FX. This brings us back from the pain into the real world. Slipknot have clearly crafted an album that tells a story. Replaces the pain and fear with anger and realization. Sid clearly has some new toys/synthesizers. and I f**king love it.
14. Solway Firth.... Chilling vocals turn into some shattering guitar sequences. Dizzying feelings of rage and regret. Lyrics again tell a story of loss and anger but overcoming. This song wraps up what the album was trying to say and clearly tells everyone why We Are Not Your Kind.

This album is quite the return for Slipknot. I like it a lot and will probably like it more upon further listens.

Last edited:
I had no idea Slipknot was even still a thing this century. Last time I heard them mentioned must have been 1998-1999 back when I was in school.

Of course, I might just be old.

TrainedRage

Banned
I had no idea Slipknot was even still a thing this century. Last time I heard them mentioned must have been 1998-1999 back when I was in school.

Of course, I might just be old.
Member Iowa?
After some losses in the Slipknot family, they have filled in the gaps (Jay is doing amazing work on the drums). Yeah that's Jay Weinberg, son of Max Weinberg. But the loss of Clowns daughter must be fueling these amazing performances. Cant wait to see them again.

TrainedRage

Banned
Reviews (seem pretty positive so far...)

brap

Banned
The generic metalcore choruses ruined every song they were in. Too much AHIG and Vol. 3 influence. At least Vol. 3 was catchy though.
Red Flag was playing and I thought I accidentally had an older Slipknot song in my playlist.
Red Flag > Solway Firth > who cares > dog shit > Spiders > My Pain
I will never listen to this album again.

TrainedRage

Banned
The generic metalcore choruses ruined every song they were in. Too much AHIG and Vol. 3 influence. At least Vol. 3 was catchy though.
Red Flag was playing and I thought I accidentally had an older Slipknot song in my playlist.
How could you not like Orphan?
giphy.gif

J-Roderton

Listened to Orphan on the way to work this morning. Not bad. I don't have any headphones so I'll have to listen all the way through this afternoon.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Listening now, it's alright. Definitely better than the last couple. It's just a shame they insist on having these awful clean choruses, it's why they'll never reach the heights of self-titled / Iowa again. Just not feeling that same unbridled madness that they used to be able to pull off. Still, critics will love it as it feels like more of a "serious" album, hopefully the hardcore maggots enjoy it too.

Did see them a few months back and they put on a great show. Corey's new mask is fucking terrible though, and what's worse is Tom Savini of all people designed it. Sid's new mask is probably the creepiest one when he's on stage and you can't see his real eyes, it's horrid.

Slipknot isn't metalcore.

bronk

Banned
I enjoy it but I'm with Brap though reminds me of Vol.3 too much which isnt my favorite. Self Titled and Iowa have stayed in rotation since day 1.
The super long intros and outros drive me nuts I hate them. The nonsense tracks in between need to go as well. I think songs I enjoy will grow on me more as I listen.

Loke

Listening now, it's alright. Definitely better than the last couple. It's just a shame they insist on having these awful clean choruses, it's why they'll never reach the heights of self-titled / Iowa again.

I've all but given up hope they'll ever put out something like Iowa again. That album was just pure hatred throughout, you can hear it in the instruments and vocals so clearly. But that's also why it's so memorable.

TrainedRage

Banned
I've all but given up hope they'll ever put out something like Iowa again. That album was just pure hatred throughout, you can hear it in the instruments and vocals so clearly. But that's also why it's so memorable.
I mean I don't want the band back in that mind frame. They would be dead or break up. They were all on drugs and drinking heavily. They hated each other. Im glad they are in a place where they can focus on the music and not all the other shit that has been done before. I want more!

TrainedRage

Banned
EviLore EviLore I know your a fellow synth lover. Im not sure how into Slipknot you are but I would love to know what you think of a few bits from the new album.

This is how the album starts... It was pretty suprising and reminiscent of some 70's style analogue horror synths.

This song is clearly using a sequencer and some sort of chime/bells synth. I love it.

5:35 until the end.

Any ideas on what Cid (the DJ) may have been using on this album. Or do you think it was all in a DAW?

Listened to it on Spotify yesterday.. Was hard to make it through I suppose.

The instruments sounded fine and the screaming was ok I guess but it really falls apart when he starts singing especially since you can make out the lyrics clearer.. Couldnt imagine being out of high school and listening to this myself. Not feeling the track titles, either.

The animations that play in spotify during the songs were neat though.

Paasei

Everything seems to really fit together. After listening quite a few times I think Nero Forte is my favorite closely followed by A Liar's Funeral and Orphan.
An actual album instead of just songs slammed on top of each other.

TrainedRage

Banned
Everything seems to really fit together. After listening quite a few times I think Nero Forte is my favorite closely followed by A Liar's Funeral and Orphan.
An actual album instead of just songs slammed on top of each other.
Yeah, track order and mixing shine here more than any of the other Slipknot albums IMO. Also I don't know why anyone is criticizing the use of instrumental interludes. I mean that's a Slipknot thing for years now. And those weird short ones are some of my favorites...… Like.....

The Grey Chapter - XIX and Be Prepared for Hell

All Hope Is Gone - .execute. and Vermillion pt 2

Subliminal Verses - prelude 3.0 and Circle and Danger Keep Away (my favorite)

Iowa - (515) and the title track Iowa (long but used as an epilogue)

Self Titled - 74261000027

...So yeah all those fans who say, "I don't like these new instrumental interludes or Cory's singing".... Bro he has been doing that since Spit It Out in the FIRST album. SMH

Last edited:

Paasei

Yeah, track order and mixing shine here more than any of the other Slipknot albums IMO. Also I don't know why anyone is criticizing the use of instrumental interludes. I mean that's a Slipknot thing for years now. And those weird short ones are some of my favorites...… Like.....

...So yeah all those fans who say, "I don't like these new instrumental interludes or Cory's singing".... Bro he has been doing that since Spit It Out in the FIRST album. SMH
Some people just want to complain about something. The interludes are great. A sort of minor break of all the heavy songs.

brap

Banned

Sorry Corey I won't criticize you anymore.

J-Roderton

Finally listened to everything a few times through. I can definitely appreciate the whole album experience approach they took for it. Great mixing.

Standouts for me: Solway Firth, Critical Darling, A Liar’s Funeral, Unsainted.

bronk

Banned
So I've really been listening to the whole discography again and damn I really like everything. Even stuff I didnt like back when it was released. My musical tastes were changing around vol.3 I thought I was "brootal". But damn they are just so amazing. Imo All Hope is Gone is their worst album even though I like songs from it as well. First two albums will never be topped for me haha. Here's one of my old faves.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Unsainted, Nero Forte, Critical Darling and Solway Firth are all gold. Orphan stuck with me ("EVERYONE HAS SOMETHING. SOMEONE HERE HAS EVERYTHING").

Spiders needs to be in John Wick 3. That chorus makes me think of the poor assholes who come at him.

Top Bottom