• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weeaboos are now ruining the retro collecting scene in Japan. How can we stop them?

AREYOUOKAY?

Would you like to pre-order to guarantee a copy day one?
Maybe if there was a nice physical bonus but even those aren’t guaranteed now. Used to be able to walk right in a store and find something at launch. That’s what I was getting at.

BlackTron

Maybe they think that if the games remained in Japan, there is greater opportunity for them to recirculate the local market again. Whereas when foreigners buy them they are gone forever to the land of being traded on eBay instead.

Similar to how if you bought a game at Gamestop. There is a chance that game could end up there again some day. Either now or after you dump your old box of games and DVDs on your little brother. Taking too many out of circulation, over time, dries up the ability to backfill sales.

Just be careful. Apparently foreigners (mostly chinese tourists) have been making a bad name for all tourists lately. The times I've gone, it's been an extremely welcoming experience. But times may have changed.
Welcoming on the surface. A fairly significant portion of the population would prefer you’re not here at all. And I have to say, Covid was so nice with no tourists!

Sleepwalker

And this is why emulation is important, a lot of very rare games that were never reprinted or rereleased could never have been playable again without the help of emulation.

It is, there is a balance. Some people like to collect and that's perfectly fine. Emulation makes it sure that whoever wants to play these old, unavailable and out of production games has the chance to do so, regardless if they have a hard copy in their house or not.

Drell

It is, there is a balance. Some people like to collect and that's perfectly fine. Emulation makes it sure that whoever wants to play these old, unavailable and out of production games has the chance to do so, regardless if they have a hard copy in their house or not.
And these days you can even buy one of these everdrive cartridges and play all the game natively on your system without needing to posess the original cartridge.

Go_Ly_Dow

honour and shame are huge parts of it

it's not like america where you can become successful by being an asshole

if you screw someone over in japan the only person you bring shame to is yourself

Last edited:

StereoVsn

And these days you can even buy one of these everdrive cartridges and play all the game natively on your system without needing to posess the original cartridge.
Well, not natively, Everdrive is absolutely emulation. That said, they build up a pretty cool ecosystem and more power to them!

"I saw a guy just taking everything off the already paltry DS shelf. There [are] tons of people like him and very little anyone can do because it’s obviously not illegal. So I don’t even bother anymore."

You know that guy is selling those games on eBay for inflated prices.
Yes, it's a scummy act.

Like people who inhale everything in charity shops and sell it online at 10x the price. Parasites.

StereoVsn

Well if you were planning to buy it all and scalp it on ebay, I'm glad you're banned.
Just don’t take it from the Libyans and use it to build a time traveling Delorian!

y9x1or613lh71.jpg

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Resellers are ruining the hobby 😖
I mean on one hand yes, on the other hand I buy most of my games from Japanese sellers on eBay, Amazon.jp, and other sites that allow you to buy stuff on Auctions and stores over there and ship to US.

So in general it does suck, but at the same time there are plenty of folks in Western Countries who like collecting Japanese titles and can’t easily fly to Tokyo on yearly basis.

Dollar yen exchange rate is very favourable. Sucks for the Japanese who have to deal with yahoo tourists from the states yucking it up in their country with no respect shown, but that is how the world works. Even worse for weebs who left for Japan years ago because they are massive weebs raised on Nintendo and hentai and now their income is all in Yen.
The exchange rate was awesome for me while I was there. 35% discount on everything. Plus with tax free you save 10% immediately so it’s even more.
They don't seem to be very popular. :goog_unsure: I hardly saw any AES but NG cd's are everywhere just waiting for a new home.
Probably cost. Aren’t they still expensive.

I saw a lot of PC Engine Duos when I was there as well.

StereoVsn

The exchange rate was awesome for me while I was there. 35% discount on everything. Plus with tax free you save 10% immediately so it’s even more.

Damn, I wouldn’t mind getting a couple of Duos (one as a spare). They are quite expensive in NA.

MrMephistoX

I’m pretty sure my Japanese fiancée at the time broke up with me partially because I was one of those Weebos hauling home a Sega Saturn and a bagful of games around with me while meeting her relatives in Tokyo for the first time and then getting a horrible flu…so not only was I a weebo I was a snot faced immature weebo Baka Gaijin who embarrassed her in front of her family. In retrospect I was too young to be proposing to a girl any girl straight out of Sophomore year in college but man talk about life regrets lol she was a damn regional department store catalog model.

Last edited:

Crayon

I found that neo cd was so common, I can't imagine they go for a lot. I didn't check, actually.

I found ONE Duo at a super potato. I almost got it but didn't want to deplete japan's supply.

StereoVsn

I found that neo cd was so common, I can't imagine they go for a lot. I didn't check, actually.

I found ONE Duo at a super potato. I almost got it but didn't want to deplete japan's supply.
I got to admit I bought Analogue Duo because I wasn’t going to deal with PC Engine Duo pricing, lol.

Top Bottom