• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Went on a Steam spending spree; need GAF's help on where to start first

What game should I start first?

• Total voters

Chiggs

I've been hard at work on a project over the past 6 months and I've barely had time to play anything, but I've gone on a Steam spending spree today (stealth brag) and picked up a TON of new PC games to play now that I have some breathing room (and the prices were right). Since I'm incapable of making tough decisions like this, I thought I'd ask GAF to lend a hand.

GAF might be an autocracy led by EviLore EviLore , but this thread is a democracy, and I bend to the will of the voters.

I recommend Tekken 8, while it still has people new to the system. It will be tougher to play online casually later in its life. If new to Tekken do at least three locations in Arcade Quest for tutorials. Then, run the combo trials in Practice. All are character specific.

Last edited:

Ribi

see the problem is that fighting games... you'll have the best tiem early when there are noobs. But single player games from last year are also still fresh enough to experience and talk about.

Mortisfacio

Kind of depends based on your personal prefs, but for me on that list I'd say Phantom Liberty. It's easily a top 3 expansion of all time for me.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Really thought choice. It depends if youre looking for short games or longer ones.

You have some pretty long titles there.

That being said, I would go:

Returnal
Jedi Survivor (if you played Fallen Order)
Cyberpunk 2077

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Bruhh What GIF

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I've been hard at work on a project over the past 6 months and I've barely had time to play anything, but I've gone on a Steam spending spree today (stealth brag) and picked up a TON of new PC games to play now that I have some breathing room (and the prices were right). Since I'm incapable of making tough decisions like this, I thought I'd ask GAF to lend a hand.

GAF might be an autocracy led by EviLore EviLore , but this thread is a democracy, and I bend to the will of the voters.

Voters are retarded. Do what I say. Final Fantasy VIII Remastered. Look up McIndus Mods for some amazing graphic mods. Play the game. Tell us how you conquered depression.

If you do what the voters say, you're banned!

Michelle Megan Hutchings GIF by Blue Ice Pictures

ReBurn

Gold Member
Start at the top and work your way down. Tekken 8 story mode is fun and can be finished in an evening. The character stories take another day or two.

Majukun

tekken seems the only one with a time limit if you wanna get into the first part where everyone is learning and you can find more casuals in multiplayer

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark

Went on a Steam spending spree​

Happy Lets Go GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I’d go Deathloop, it has its own style and reminds me of smart game design. The added gimmick, time loop is a little bit of a risk but overall it’s a solid choice.

StereoVsn

That's what i'm doing. Super Mario Allstars with Mario 3 and Super Mario World on SNES emu.
Shigeru Miyamoto is a genius.
I do something similar but fire up one of the strategy map painters I’ll like to play.

P3R, FFVIIR, Like a Dragon? Pfft, time to fire up EU4 and conquer Europe/Asia as the Pope, Brandenburg, Florence, Korea, Oda, etc….

Or perhaps time to fire up Civ 6 instead (or 5), or modded Rome Total War II.

Anything but actually play games I buy, lol.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Don't pay attention to Danjin he's just mad that he's no longer the nicest person on this forum.
I’m nice, through “tough love” I’m showing his wrong doing…
giphy.gif

you motherf***ckers should be gratefu!

Last edited:

XXL

After looking at the list....
Robert Redford Nod GIF

You should start with Deathloop, because that's the only bad game on there. Whatever is next will be a step up.

Puscifer

I recommend Tekken 8, while it still has people new to the system. It will be tougher to play online casually later in its life. If new to Tekken do at least three locations in Arcade Quest for tutorials. Then, run the combo trials in Practice. All are character specific.
FWIW I picked up T7 again casually last months with Heihachi and had a great time after not touching it since 2020.

Puscifer

After looking at the list....
Robert Redford Nod GIF

You should start with Deathloop, because that's the only bad game on there. Whatever is next will be a step up.
So Deathloop isn't bad, but I HIGHLY suggest learning the loop process ASAP cause too many people figure it out 10-15 hours in and get burned out when it finally clicks.

Top Bottom