• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some of the best film music scores of the last 10 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been listening to Pirates of the Caribbean non stop for the last few weeks.

Others I've been listening to are...

Crimson Tide
Gladiator
Starship Troopers
The Rock
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Kola

I'm always confused about "score" and "original soundtrack". Nevertheless I would suggest "Lost in Translation" and "The Crow".

Score applies to the orchestral or background music composed for the film. Soundtrack generally applies to a collection of licensed music found within the film. Sometimes a soundtrack will have a mix of the two.

Batman is a good example...the Soundtrack had all the Prince songs. The Score had the Danny Elfman music.

Boogie9IGN

LotR Trilogy
Kill Bill Vol I
Kill Bill Vol II
The Rock
Gladiator
Last Samurai
Titanic

EDIT: Almost forgot Hannibal

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Gladiator - Hanz Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard
Catch Me If You Can - John Williams
AI: Artificial Intelligence - John Williams
Road to Perdition - Thomas Newman
Igby Goes Down - Uwe Fahrenkrog-Peterson
Band of Brothers (miniseries) - Michael Kamen

I buy lots of scores, but I think those are the ones that really stand out for me over the last ten years. I'm pretty damned sure I'm forgetting a few that I don't own, but that's what came to midn.

Dan said:
Catch Me If You Can - John Williams

I came into this thread to mention this. I just watched the movie the other day, and it was excellent. I was thinking "Damn, this score is fantastic; it sounds nothing like a John Williams score." It's really different, but very good. I might have to buy the CD now.

nitewulf

kill bill (1/2)
in the mood for love
kikujiro
requiem for a dream
chungking express
fallen angels (you could start seeing my wong ker-wai bias, but the man is probably the best director at using music to evoke emotions in his movies)

jett

D-Member
The Last Samurai - Hans Zimmer
Gladiator - Hans Zimmer
Braveheart - James Horner

Kill Bill 1/2 too, if applicable...it's not a true "film score", though.

EmSeta

B00004Y6Q5.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Teddman said:
-The Goonies
This is nearly two decades old...

As for another, I'll propose James Newton Howard's score for Unbreakable. I thought that one worked quite well.

Gibbo

Jurassic Park *
Lord Of The Rings
Rudy
Dragon Heart
Apollo 13 *
The American President
Independence Day
Hook
Indiana Jones And The last Crusade
Rocketeer
Titanic *
Braveheart

*= Personal Top 3

I'm sure i'm missing out some..but those are the ones I can remember for now

Gibbo

I dunno...I find Thomas newman to be quite inconsistent. I do love his scores for the Green Mile and Meet Joe Black though

Glad to see all the Requiem for a Dream love ... the Two Towers trailer with the revamped main suite really drove home the power of that music.

My favorite totally underrated movie score that no one has mentioned yet is Dark City by Trevor Jones. It's so evocative and fantasy-noir. The final track gives me goosebumps every time, too.

B000005ZD5.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Howard Shore's work in Lord of the Rings is incredible, cliche as it is to mention it.

I'm not sure about Casshern's score - I'd need to see the movie again - but the "from and inspired by" disc is probably my personal favorite collection of "soundtrack" tunes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom