• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some video game demos you remember playing inside of a store?

EctoPrime

Stunt Race FX and Sonic Adventure impressed me enough with the visuals to try them.

I recall seeing Kameo running on the original Xbox in EB games but since it never released perhaps it was just a video of the game. I was busy that day and the next time I went to the store it had removed the demo station.

haxan7

Banned
original Medal of Honor (the D-Day beach sequence).

And who can forget around the launch of N64 when Toys R Us had that heavenly alcove of consoles with Goldeneye and Super Mario 64.

Pantz

Super Mario All-Stars - First one I remember. Was at Toys R Us and lead to a same day purchase from my parents.

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - I was confused and disgusted at what they did to Mario at the time.

Virtual Boy, Mario's Tennis - It was a curiosity and nothing more came from playing it.

Wipeout on PSX - Was with my sister at Sears and she ended up buying the game and the console after playing it. $300 was a lot back then.

Call of Duty 2 on 360 - This is the last one I can remember. The graphics blew me away at the time. Already had the console pre-ordered but it was fun to play before release.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I remember playing SNES Super Metroid at Sears at Eaton Centre (downtown Toronto). In the mid 90s, their game section was pretty big.

Also remember playing Saturn Daytona USA at a kiosk at Compucentre at Sherway Gardens (mall at west end Toronto).

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
NInja Gaiden of Xbox in Blockbuster

Mario 64 in Liverpool ( The Macy´s of Mexico)

Metal gear Rising: I play it from the beginning, until to the level of the sewers xD

Conker live and reloaded in Omaha Beach scene (There was kids of 7 years old watching the scene =S)

Bankai

Ecco the Dolphin on Megadrive. That was a memerising moment :) I then knew I HAD to have that console.

Mortal Kombat II on SNES. The day I sadly realised the SNES had the way superior version, with way more colors the difference was enormous.

I played both Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and Rival Schools in store. It was at that point that I decide to get a PlayStation, having been a life-long Amiga gamer up until that point (with a brief dip into PC gaming).

I also played Grand Theft Auto 3* and put in a pre-order right away.

(* - the staff had the PS2 in a corner of the store and were turning the kids away if they came near the machine.)

Handel

I came from a pretty poor family, so I would regularly go to the local Walmart as a kid and play the shit out of the game stands till I got kicked out/it got late. Pokemon Ruby or Sapphire was a major one that I got pretty far into till that save date got deleted, as well as Legend of Dragoon.

Oh I have such great memories of trying out Sonic the Hedgehog and Chuck Rock on Sega Mega Drive in a store around 1992 or 1993. Before that I thought Super Nintendo seemed neat, but the Mega Drive blew me away. From that day, me and my brother wished for a Sega Mega Dive for Christmas like daily.

We actually got it, one of my happiest childhood moments.

Mass Shift

Star Trek Voyager Elite Force.

Back in the days when stores like CompUSA were still around and actually showed off PC games.

Last edited:

Dazrael

I remember doing work experience in Comet and with not being allowed to experience work of any kind there I spent my time playing Sonic 3 on the demo kiosk. Not a bad way to spend 2 weeks.

At the end of the work experience they offered me a huge Sonic 3 standee that was just hanging around the store room. I remember thinking to myself that I would have much rather have had a Walkman instead so I left it there. It’s probably worth something now right?

GametimeUK

Wii sports was fucking awesome leading up to the Wii launch. The most memorable in store demo / promotional tour I've seen when it comes to gaming.

Fbh

More of a newer thing but I remember when the Ps3/360 came out every big retailer had big TV's with that boxing game (Fight night something) and I remember being completely mindblown by the visuals. So I played that every time I got a chance

7roject28

I remember the Virtual Boy also remember playing that Star Fox tournament edition. They cheated me though. When I came in, a mother had let her 2 year old play it for like 10 seconds and got off. So I took over not thinking that that wouldn't be my turn. But the person there said, nope, that's your turn, you can't play again today. Come back tomorrow. I was like, whatever. There was probably others but I don't remember.

Three

I played the original Mario Party on the N64 on a demo unit where the analog stick didn't spring back into the center position. I remember also playing Mario Allstars and Sonic at my local blockbuster I think it was.
Blockbusters was like heaven to me back then.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Back in the 16-bit days at TRU, one game I remember clearly (it's been many years and my memory is not what it used to be) was Air Zonk on the TG-16.

Mario 64 at toys r us. Haven’t seen a demo kiosk since then really... then again I cut out retail a long time ago

Played that one at Electronics Boutique. I later worked at that EB, so I played our demo units all the time, probably hundreds of games over the years.

I remember we finished Pokemon Snap through our demo system, and used to play Powerstone in dead times. I want to go back bros. .

Last edited:
Cruis'n World at Babbages, driving the Hummer through the China level, my whole family was there looking for Tomb raider for my sis, and there I am wishing I had an N64 instead of a PS1!

SM64 in either a wal mart or target. I remember stretching his face and nose all over the place during the opening screen. Then snapping it all back into place...good times

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Ocarina of Time at Target. Back when music CD’s were popular. I’d play through the Deku tree. Wonderful times. Before that, Best Buy had huge multi-monitors with Mario 64.

Toys R Us had Sonic Adventures on Dreamcast before 9-9-99. Babbages had the console too. They’d show off Sonic and Bass Fishing. Those were glorious times because I was excited to see an actual Dreamcast console.

Sears had Metroid on NES, Sonic and X-Men on Genesis. The console would restart after a while. I remember the Virtual Boy and the big bulky GameBoy kiosk too.

A couple times I remember Halo, Splinter Cell, King Kong, and RE4 at EB. Devil May Cry 1 at Babbages. Then GameStop brought in the PS3, 360, and Wii with demos. Those weren’t as memorable just because I didn’t want to take the time to load up a game while I was shopping.

Nebraska Furniture Mart use to have PS1’s with a game behind a glass case under a TV. I got to play Jet Moto, X-Men vs Street Fighter, and other awesome games on PS1.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Duck Hunt
Super Mario World
Battle Arena Toshinden (the bass was dope in that kiosk)
MLB 08 The Show (walked out with a PS3 10 minutes later)

I spent my last two years of high school in Hawaii as my dad was in the military. The tower records near where I lived in aiea had an Atari jaguar on display and the game alien versus predator was completely playable. My neighbor and I were there almost every day after school taking turns playing the game. I was fascinated by the graphics and the ability to play the game as humans, aliens, or predators. Anyway, the workers at tower records finally got tired of us being there all the time and kicked us out lol. But it was awesome while it lasted 😁🌺

StAidan

Super Mario Bros would’ve been the first kiosk game I ever played. I was too young to remember the details though. I do have distinct memories of playing Super Mario World in a Woolworth’s at age 11. Some older teens stood behind me and mocked me, probably trying to get me to leave so they could play it.

Hairball

Neo Member
I can't remember the store, but I do recall playing Donkey Kong Country in store at a display, but I never got a chance to buy the game since my parents couldn't afford it at the time. I was amazed at how the graphics were for a SNES game. Pre-rendered 3D is pretty crazy!

Top Bottom