• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the hardest 8th gen games you have played (so far)?

Picks are subjective, of course. Even the term "hardest" is subjective. Look back over the generation and share the games that you struggled with, whether you ended up loving them or hating them.

Personally, games such as Monster Hunter World and Bloodborne weren't too "hard" since I have many hours invested into previous games. Hardest games for me this gen have been Flinthook, Enter the Gungeon, and Don't Starve. I beat most of my games before moving on but these three -- which I still return to on a regular basis -- remain undefeated.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I also feel Sekiro is the hardest game this gen. I think I played the hardest version as well, PS4. Loading times are brutal, and those cutscenes before boss fights replay every time with multiple parts to skip. I stopped playing because I got sick of loading on one boss with several stages near the end of the game because of this insanity.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Catherine in hard difficulty, especially if you want to get gold in all stages.

Tschumi

I'll be honest , I haven't played many. Jedi Fallen Order probably wins it for me, I play it on hardest and, yeah, those bosses can sometimes take a bazillion attempts.

If we count optional content, I'd go with Hollow Knight. The White Palace is a fucking nightmare, especially if you go for the hidden area. The final boss is also hard as fuck, and that's not even counting the bullshit version of it. The boss rushes and the flower quest as well, there's so much STUFF in this game and it's all awesome, but tricky as fuck.

I have a friend who's a total normie and he beat Sekiro and didn't even take him long, no way my dude makes it out of the White Palace.

teezzy

Banned
6178vhg-Y-L._SY445_.jpg

Pejo

Gold Member
Sekiro for me. I've never been filtered so hard in a game before. I just couldn't get into the combat for some reason.

Cynical_Aries

Gold Member
Sekiro was a game I initially was close to quitting. Then, after taking a break, I came back. Now is one of my favorite games. Oddly enough, is my one and only platinum trophy.

RPS37

I haven’t played any Souls game yet, but I played Fallen Order almost to completion.
I say almost because I’ve temporarily bailed out because the last level is such a gauntlet.

xrnzaaas

I generally don't play hard games, but I've made an exception for Sekiro so that's definitely the one. Dead Cells was also quite challenging in later levels.

TexMex

Sekiro.

glad to see I’m not the only one. Multiple reviews near release called it one of the easier Souls games. Felt like I was going crazy. I’ve got the platinums for both Bloodborne and Dark Souls but Sekiro was just impenetrable for me.

GlockSaint

Dark souls 3 (my first in the souls series). I find it to be far harder than sekiro, i keep hitting a wall every 10 minutes. I don't think ill be able to finish it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Nioh/Nioh2. If the higher levels of difficulty (NG+ onwards) don't stretch you, you're a true skill freak (in the nicest sense).

Not talking just reflexes and coordination either, it takes effort to figure out tactics and how to craft a proper build to best support your chosen style by the time you get to NG+3 and on. Far more complex and challenging than any FROM game.

Sleepwalker

Single player? Probably Bloodborne, gave up during the boss fight where you have to chase that stupid dude across a whole castle. Fuck that game. I did not play Sekiro or Dark souls this gen tho.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sekiro! Will always love From Software games but FUCK Sekiro*

*But I'm also a little jealous of those that can parry well 😂
I would say parry in Sekiro is much more generous compare to other games. I find the parry in Bayonetta much harder to pull off since you need to pull your right analog stick toward enemy when they are about land a hit.

Hostile_18

Banned
I would say parry in Sekiro is much more generous compare to other games. I find the parry in Bayonetta much harder to pull off since you need to pull your right analog stick toward enemy when they are about land a hit.

I think it's the combination of pressing differences buttons at different times depending on the move. If it was a standard one button parry in most circumstances it would be easy for me. I'm working out these issues with my therapist.

Speaking of which I'm sure I have PSTD from this;

UvWrnpz.jpg

Ellery

I am an idiot I thought we were on the 7th gen and not the 8th.

No idea what the hardest was. Sekiro or Doom Eternal on highest difficulty. I have to say I have not played Cuphead yet

Miles708

Single player? Probably Bloodborne, gave up during the boss fight where you have to chase that stupid dude across a whole castle. Fuck that game. I did not play Sekiro or Dark souls this gen tho.

Similar, but I've gave up at the final boss, and I don't think I'll ever muster the willpower to get my ass beaten a couple dozen times just to see a 4-seconds ending cutscene.
After enjoying Dark Souls 1 and 2, Bloodborne turned me off from the genre entirely.

Ace Combat 7 was also getting frustrating, but that's because the game doens't really explaing anything (like, for example, how to fly a damn plane), but luckily I've found the online manual on the official site that shows some useful manouvers. It has become much more enjoyable since.

Devil May Cry 5, but only if you go for platinum: it requires you to play at the highest difficulty (where you die with only 1 hit) and complete the entire game without getting hit even once. Well, thanks, but nope.

mcjmetroid

I also feel Sekiro is the hardest game this gen. I think I played the hardest version as well, PS4. Loading times are brutal, and those cutscenes before boss fights replay every time with multiple parts to skip. I stopped playing because I got sick of loading on one boss with several stages near the end of the game because of this insanity.
I played this version as well. What makes it harder? Shittier framerate?

mcjmetroid

Completing Hollow Knight 100%.

I had to give up...
:lollipop_pensive:
Hallow Knight is a lot harder than people give it credit for.
Thing with hallow knight though is the same thing with Dark Souls.
They're difficult games yes but they can be more trying because of how far away your save point can be.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze I would say. If you count the golden strawberrys, then likely Celeste, but I did not even attempt to get them.

Agreed. Sekiro is also very generous when it comes to recovery frames. You can cancel out of many attacks with a block (similar to God of War). Blocking in Sekiro is more powerful than any Soulsborne game and gives you a lot of "free" breathing room during battle. You can hold block and fish for parries (I forget what this is called, but you wave your sword a bit). You can also just... learn the timing.

I recommend that new players learn one (just one) enemy move to parry, per enemy. That's it. Dodge, jump, block, or otherwise avoid the rest. I noticed that when I overcommitted to learning all the parries, I would get bogged down. If I learned just one or two parries and countered other moves with avoiding or a shinobi tool, battles became much easier. Plus you have infinite stamina to run and to attack. Unlike every other Soulsborne game, mashing the attack button is encouraged (you can bait an enemy's counter, which you can yourself counter). You can also jump.

Against normal Soulsborne enemies, these abilities would be broken. But in Sekiro

- enemies are faster
- even simple enemies have bigger movesets than most Soulsborne bosses
- enemies are more aggressive; much harder to bait out and play footsies with
- enemies will abuse your block and will try to break your posture

i mess up parrying in P* games a lot more, even though I've played them for longer.

Nixonomics

Doom Eternal on Ultra Nightmare. You only have one life and the game is set to the highest difficulty. Lots of replaying those beginning levels.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I played this version as well. What makes it harder? Shittier framerate?
The loading times.
I quit on the sword saint. I got tired of dying, then loading for over a minute, then having to run back to the fight, skipping the cutscenes and do every phase over again. After a dozen tries, I was done with that mess. I don't think any of the other bosses took me more than 4 or 5 tries, except for owl who took around a dozen.

Also I happen to be one of the people with an insanely loud pro, so you are just getting assaulted with supersonic frequency fan speeds throughout.

mcjmetroid

The loading times.
I quit on the sword saint. I got tired of dying, then loading for over a minute, then having to run back to the fight, skipping the cutscenes and do every phase over again. After a dozen tries, I was done with that mess. I don't think any of the other bosses took me more than 4 or 5 tries, except for owl who took around a dozen.

Also I happen to be one of the people with an insanely loud pro, so you are just getting assaulted with supersonic frequency fan speeds throughout.
Played on the base PS4 myself and it did stutter every now and again.i got to the final boss and said. Fuck it!
Life's too short haha

Aion002

Uncharted 4 on Brutal.

Drake dies with a single shot most of the times... Soooo unfair. Sekiro, Nioh and Dark Souls are quite easy in comparison.

I did not play TLU2 on grounded yet.... I am not ready.

Last edited:
Agreed. Sekiro is also very generous when it comes to recovery frames. You can cancel out of many attacks with a block (similar to God of War). Blocking in Sekiro is more powerful than any Soulsborne game and gives you a lot of "free" breathing room during battle. You can hold block and fish for parries (I forget what this is called, but you wave your sword a bit). You can also just... learn the timing.

I recommend that new players learn one (just one) enemy move to parry, per enemy. That's it. Dodge, jump, block, or otherwise avoid the rest. I noticed that when I overcommitted to learning all the parries, I would get bogged down. If I learned just one or two parries and countered other moves with avoiding or a shinobi tool, battles became much easier. Plus you have infinite stamina to run and to attack. Unlike every other Soulsborne game, mashing the attack button is encouraged (you can bait an enemy's counter, which you can yourself counter). You can also jump.

Against normal Soulsborne enemies, these abilities would be broken. But in Sekiro

- enemies are faster
- even simple enemies have bigger movesets than most Soulsborne bosses
- enemies are more aggressive; much harder to bait out and play footsies with
- enemies will abuse your block and will try to break your posture

i mess up parrying in P* games a lot more, even though I've played them for longer.
Love this.

The reason Sekiro felt so hard initially, for me at least, was because my brain was trained to play Dark Souls/Bloodborne. Sekiro's mechanics are different and, in some ways, punish you for playing like DS/BB. After you get over the initial hours of relearning the game, I felt Sekiro was relatively easier than most FromSoftware games. Very forgiving in parry, very forgiving in enemy density, very forgiving overall.

Top Bottom