• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 2011)

Morn

Banned
ready-player-one-by-ernest-cline.jpg

Not very far in but from what I have read it seems like I will really like it.

AWESOME book. Keeps getting better.

I have no idea how they're ever going to produce the movie without some massive reference cuts from it though.

Kuraudo

Banned
Finished reading 11.22.63.

11.22.63.jpg

Loved it. The pacing dragged a bit in the middle, but in the end I think it worked out to help sell the ending, which was actually pretty good for a King novel. Probably the best thing he's written in 15 years, maybe even 20.

Ratrat

Okay, I need a book recommendation for say... a dyslexic 15 year old with ADD.
Something fast paced with lots of sex+violence. ie, Joe Abercrombie, Richard Morgan.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Okay, I need a book recommendation for say... a dyslexic 15 year old with ADD.
Something fast paced with lots of sex+violence. ie, Joe Abercrombie, Richard Morgan.

A dyslexic 15-year-old with ADD should probably be starting with simpler work than Abercrombie and Morgan. Still, if you're looking for something in that vein, try Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence.

Ratrat

A dyslexic 15-year-old with ADD should probably be starting with simpler work than Abercrombie and Morgan. Still, if you're looking for something in that vein, try Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence.
Well, physically 17. And that looks really promising. I'll check it out.

besada

Banned
I'm on a crime kick right now and reading Lawrence Block's Matthew Scudder novels in order. I'm four in and will probably take a break around the eighth and read 1Q84 before going back and reading the rest of them.

I don't like Scudder as much as I like one of Block's other characters, Keller, but I'm told the Scudder novels get better as they go, so maybe I will by the time I'm done.

A question: Where does one start with Lois Bujold McMaster? Regular posters in fiction threads know I'm a pretty serious science fiction reader, but I've never been able to figure out a good entry point for her, and keep not getting around to reading her. Help a nerd brother out?

Fjordson

Finished reading 11.22.63.

11.22.63.jpg

Loved it. The pacing dragged a bit in the middle, but in the end I think it worked out to help sell the ending, which was actually pretty good for a King novel. Probably the best thing he's written in 15 years, maybe even 20.
Man, everyone loves this book. I haven't enjoyed King's recent stuff, but I may have to read this soon.

jns

11.22.63.jpg

Put me in this boat. Just started it a day ago. I have also jst finished

double-dexter.jpg

I feel like it got just a bit to far away from what I really enjoyed about the books. Dexter does still make me smile though ..

I can't remember if this was a late November book or early December but Horns by Joe Hill was excellent!
hornsTP.jpg

ymmv

Banned
Now reading ...

51njDAP-EqL._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I recently finished Stephen King's timetravel novel 11.22.63 (first King in more than a decade, loved it) and I'm in the mood for another timetravel book. This one is supposedly one of the best in this subgenre. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Finished 11/22/63. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Stephen King can draw you in to any premise and make it seem totally natural and something you have to keep turning the pages for. The most interesting aspect of his style is how effortlessly he makes the everyday seem sinister. if you have been to Dealey Plaza and seen the Schhol Book Depository, it does seem wrong, just as King describes it in this book.

Grinchy

Banned
I haven't read a book in a couple years (aside from textbooks or anything school related). A couple nights ago I realized I was in the mood for a novel. I looked at my old stack of books, and realized one of the ones I hadn't read yet was:

197942vupoi.jpg

I have always liked Crichton, but I haven't read all his books. The last one I read was The Andromeda Strain, which I didn't actually care for. It was like a poor man's Sphere (which makes sense, considering it was written very early into his career).

This book is way different from the other Crichton books I have read. It's medical drama with some law thrown in. He uses medical terminology and annotates it so you know exactly what he's talking about when medical jargon is used. I'm a little over halfway through right now and I've really enjoyed it.

x-Lundz-x

Just started the trilogy:
images

Also reading:
images

I plan on starting this over Christmas:
images

Kindle Fire makes reading so much more fun.

Finished 11/22/63. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Stephen King can draw you in to any premise and make it seem totally natural and something you have to keep turning the pages for. The most interesting aspect of his style is how effortlessly he makes the everyday seem sinister. if you have been to Dealey Plaza and seen the Schhol Book Depository, it does seem wrong, just as King describes it in this book.

Also finished this recently. Fantastic. I totally bawled at the end. I'm such a fucking mark for his stuff.

W1SSY

ready-player-one-by-ernest-cline.jpg

Not very far in but from what I have read it seems like I will really like it.

Just finished the book and really liked it. This has been one of the few books that I couldn't stop reading. Now I need to decide what I want to start reading. With Christmas break coming up I may try to get through A Dance with Dragons.

Grinchy

Banned

What a shitty publishing job. Not only are there typos throughout the book (maybe they left them in on purpose) but after page 320, it repeats p.289-320 again, then it skips to 353, so 30 pages are missing. I am not happy about that. Just as things are unraveling, I find that I have to run to the library and borrow a better copy to finish it lol

51oh4hUG17L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Just finished. #11, and I've managed to stretch my reading of the series over, what, 10 years now, maybe? It's gonna be a sad, sad day when I reach the end. O'Brian was an absolute genius.

Salazar

I'm reading some more Dresden Files. Turncoat.

Huh, NY Times makes a tremendous hire - but puts an end to a killer blog in the process.

http://thesecondpass.com/

The Second Pass is on hiatus at the moment. When and how it will return is up in the air, but I’ve started a very exciting new job as the web producer for the books section of the New York Times. So for now, all my time and books-related energy will be channeled over there. I imagine most or all of you visit the Times for books coverage, and I hope you’ll continue to check in there and see what I’ll be up to. My sincere hope is that this will be a brief hiatus, but when the site kicks back up its focus may have changed a bit. If that sounds vague, it’s because it’s still vague to me. When I know more, you’ll know more.

AAequal

Banned
The Road - Probably third best novel from the man himself. Dark, gritty post-apocalyptic story that feels believable. Prose is amazing and the story has certain flow that makes the story easy and interesting to follow, I read the book from start to end in one sit. Ending was huge disappointment tho and my only complaint.
TJgez.jpg

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Some from November, but...
Finished:

The Affair - Lee Child
Cold Vengeance - Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Dead or Alive - Tom Clancy
Cold Commands - Richard Morgan
Commonwealth trilogy - Peter F. Hamilton

Now reading:

51QPKqmuhyL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Huh. Just went to put my last few books read onto Goodreads, and can only remember 2 of 3. I only read this book a week ago, what the hell was it? Can't catch so much as a thread of it. Except that I think it might've been YA.

It's back to the library by this time. GAF, am I going senile? :/

Nah, it was probably just not an interesting book or you didn't regurgitate it in your mind at the right time. :p

Summaries or notes really are the only way to remember a book in detail after a year or so. In the case of a generic novel, I would probably forget about in a matter of days. I don't read many novels though, so I'm just guessing it's the same with novels (particularly digital ones) as it is with movies and articles.

I even find myself wondering wtf I was watching after just one commercial block on tv. So if you're going senile, then I must already be.

Ceebs

Was not really wanting to read any of the new books I have laying around so I grabbed this one off the shelf to read again

lamb.jpg

Still just as good the 3rd time through. I am not religious at all, but the story still hits all the emotional beats it would for those Christians who are open minded enough to read a humorous and mostly fictional account of the life of Jesus.

Can't wait for his new book next year.

hamchan

This month I finished:

6604209.jpg

Great fantasy series and has made me a big Sanderson fan. I recommend it to all.

11297.jpg

Loved it although the ending makes me shake my fist at Haruki Murakami.

4929.jpg

Very weird book. Half Catcher in the Rye and half surrealist craziness, it was an entertaining and gripping read, even the moments when I didn't know what was happening.

Currently reading:

7235533.jpg

Sanderson marathon continues. The world is definitely more complicated than Mistborn's so the slower pace of the novel is pretty welcome as I absorb it all.

233649.jpg

Thought the first book was pretty good. Heard the series turns bad in the middle somewhere but turns good again when Sanderson takes over. Knowing that i've decided to slog through it all.

102868.jpg

I've never actually read Sherlock Holmes before but I enjoyed the BBC series and the Robert Downey Jr movie, so I decided to just read the books from the start now.

Dresden

The Road - Probably third best novel from the man himself. Dark, gritty post-apocalyptic story that feels believable. Prose is amazing and the story has certain flow that makes the story easy and interesting to follow, I read the book from start to end in one sit. Ending was huge disappointment tho and my only complaint.

Thought the ending was the best part, myself. Don't remember much of the rest of the novel, but the end and the things that lead up to it still remain clear in my mind.

kinn

Finished:

Steve_Jobs_by_Walter_Isaacson.jpg

Great read.

Started:The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Dreadnaught.

Bah! Couldnt find a pic. Read through half of it and its great. Loved the previous 6 books as well.

Fjordson

78mt4.jpg

Heard too many positive things from people I know to hold off any longer. Some of King's other recent stuff fell pretty flat for me, but this is great so far.

Mumei

I've been falling off! I finished reading Doomsday Book by Connie Willis earlier this week. It was pretty good, particularly the segments taking place in the 1300s, but I wasn't as enamored by the present and the whole 'human nature is universal, now look as I pound this into your head' thing.

After that I read Goethe's The Green Snake and the Beautiful Lily. It was an interesting fairy tale, though after reading on Wikipedia and the essay that came with it, I hadn't really gotten the symbolism of the whole "river representing divide between outer life of senses and ideal aspirations of the human being" thing (though I suppose it's understandable given that it was written in response to something Friedrich Schiller had written with that idea in mind and I wasn't aware of the context).

And I've barely started Alexandre Dumas' The Women's War, which will be the second thing I've read by him (after The Count of Monte Cristo).

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Read Blink from Malcolm Gladwell and it was a very quick read. A light topic on Thinking without thinking. You can read it in a day and the fun part was that you started thinking about your own decision making process a bit. After this I would like to read an actual scientific book about unconscious and conscious thinking.

Currently reading a study related book Spatial Augmented Reality from Oliver Bimber and Ramesh Raskar. A bit tough for me to read occasionally as my math skills suck ass. Still paints a fairly nice picture of different AR techniques while focusing on Spatial one while being understandable.

This thread was a nice find for me as I constantly fail at finding interesting books myself. Will subscribe.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Finished Book 1 and Book 2 of 1Q84 by Haruki murakami... eh I'm feeling kind of lukewarm on it, despite being a big fan of Murakami in general, it just felt like to much of a re-trend of his previous works, and it didn't feel as magical nor was it as funny as his previous works, and as a result I'm putting Book 3 on hold for now.

Now Reading - For Whom the Bell tolls by Ernest Hemingway - read around 76 pages so far, and I'm enjoying it immensely.

CiSTM

Banned
Finished Book 1 and Book 2 of 1Q84 by Haruki murakami... eh I'm feeling kind of lukewarm on it, despite being a big fan of Murakami in general, it just felt like to much of a re-trend of his previous works, and it didn't feel as magical nor was it as funny as his previous works, and as a result I'm putting Book 3 on hold for now.

Now Reading - For Whom the Bell tolls by Ernest Hemingway - read around 76 pages so far, and I'm enjoying it immensely.

Murakami has nothing left to say, last decade was all downhill for him. Tengo and Aomame are such paper thin characters so it's really hard to become invested in them and it only makes it harder to become invested in their love story. I don't even understand why 1Q84 was so long, so many stupid twists, turns and gimmicks so Murakami could write another 100 pages of "thrilling suspense". Not his worst book but it's up in there.

x-Lundz-x

I finished Pillars of Creation and just started this:

51eI94EWT4L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-61,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Koontz is so easy to read and so far about 1/4th the way through it is very good.

I'm currently about half way through this:

standard-of-honour.jpg

It's the second book in a trilogy and I certainly like it more than the first book. Not sure if it's particular good though, but I do enjoy it at least.

Top Bottom