• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what are your "feel good" / rainy day games?

BuddyC

As if all the recent bad news and arguing wasn't enough, the past day has also reminded me that some games can start off really promising and mislead us into thinking it'll retain that quality throughout. Hrm.

So when you're disillusioned with things, be it life, games or what-have-you, what small stable of games do you rely upon to remind you that games can be fun?

Myself, I'm currently looking at a stack consisting of Zone of the Enders 2, SSX3, Pikmin 2, Psychonauts and Bangai-O.

ram

gta: san andreas - because i can drive through a whole country, listen to sf-ur and watch the sun goes down.

ridge racer type 4 - its easy and has style. the music is awesome too. every 3 months i finish the game.

lost eden - not a good adventure, but i like the story, art style and the music.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
SSX3 and Bangai-o are great picks. Amplitude pleases me somewhat in the same way.

Lately it's the Metal Slug games. I die a lot, but their so great to watch, the little touches in animation make me laugh and the gameplay is fun.

Prospero

Obvious GAF picks, but:

Katamari Damacy (I will occasionally play through a stage just to listen to the music)
Gradius V

Solid

Prince of Persia SoT - so damn fun to play. not stressfull or anything just beatiful with really fun gameplay.

BuddyC

quin said:
Space Channel 5 part 2 and Samba!

they always put a smile on my face!
I'll side with you on Samba, though the maracas take too much extra setup (time/space that I don't have in my gaming room, so I have to move the Dreamcast) for it to be played with the same consistency I enjoyed in my earlier years. I'd very much love a disc of new songs, I'm afraid 2000 is just getting a tad old :(

As for Space Channel 5 2, I could never get past the guitar duel. I'm lame, yes, I know. One of these days.

Oh, I don't know how I forgot to mention Kururin Squash! or Mr. Driller Drill Land, but that's an error now corrected.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
BuddyC, what are your thoughts on the X360 stuff? Havent seen you post recently.

As for the topic, my rainy day stuff is toe dipping stuff - in and out in 10 minutes. PSP and DS deliver a lot of that.

Mario 64DS mini games (where's luigi?)
everybodys golf - can I squeeze in an entire round before the kids attack me?
mashed if there is anybody else to play with

negitoro7

SSX3, I just board down the whole mountain for 20-30 mins. Relaxing and fun.

All my other games have potential to stress me out, especially online games (Halo 2 and 3rd Strike).

Jeff-DSA

Pikmin 2
Ikaruga
Gradius V
Madden 2006 (or previous versions in the past)
Kirby Canvas Curse
Nintendogs
Animal Crossing
Crimson Skies (awesome fun on Live for those sick days)

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Wario Ware, Gitaroo Man, Counter-Strike, Gradius V, Rez, Lumines... these are the things I keep coming back to. Ouendan is probably on the list, but its too early to tell.

EDIT: Gah! How could I forget Katamari Damacy! And if I still had my SNES hooked up, Tetris Attack. And the arcade version of Shinobi!!!

Borys

Banned
Vice City - with Flash FM tuned in, just driving, no shooting/crashing at all...

Super Mario Sunshine - Nokii Bay, just jumpin' and screwin' around...

3DMarks - no tweaking, overclocking just looping the demo with awesome finnish music...

.produkt scene demos - same as above, awesome stuff...

Plus a lot of Depeche Mode music.

Porridge

Sonic the Hedgehog 1 - 3
Earthbound
various Super Marios (1 - 3, 64, yoshi's island)
Chrono Trigger

These really are games where I can't find any major flaws at all. They're so well done, so well designed in my opinion. appealing in all aspects. and thats not just nostalgia talking because there definitely are games from yesteryear that i just can't play at length anymore

Tarazet

LEMMINGS

Vote #3 for Ridge Racer Type 4
Vote #2 for Ikaruga
Vote #3 for Katamari Damacy

...And Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee for PSP. I could play that game forever and it wouldn't get old.

BuddyC

mrklaw said:
BuddyC, what are your thoughts on the X360 stuff? Havent seen you post recently.
Yea, I've been intentionally avoiding commenting about that, just because most of the board seems to be either overreacting or running damage control, and any good points/discussion is getting drowned out. But I don't want to sidetrack this discussion, though the near future may make hold a thread for intelligent discussion of the issue.

And demi, it's nice and sunny here, just using the expression, that's all.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Pro Evolution Soccer 4. Its the game I play most of the time because its just such a good game, its one of the rare games where I cant find many flaws. Another game like that would be MGS3. Even though its just a 1 player game, I dont get bored of it:)

dock

nights7.jpg

...and Katamari Demacy.

I would add Animal Crossing if my town memory card hadn't been lost for months. ;_;

Razoric

Banned
wow 'rainy day' games... its hard for me to distinguish between these types of games and just listing my favorite games.

lets see...

Warcraft 3
Super Mario World
Chrono Trigger

Potential new additions:
Metal Gear Solid 3
World of Warcraft

Ironclad

F-Zero GX
Meteos
MGS 3
Panzer Dragoon
Outrun 2
Ikaruga
Gradius V
Katamari Damacy
And essentially any Mario platformer.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
CVXFREAK said:
My feel good game is pretty much Star Fox 64.

Wow, I haven't played this game in *ages* but I'm gonna have to agree with you here. So much good fun in such a little cartridge, great replayability. How they couldn't replicate this on the GC is beyond me :(.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Yoshis Island
Sonic 2
Banjo-Kazooie
Zelda Majoras Mask
Mario Sunshine
Pikmin

Outrun 2, Simpsons Hit and Run, GigaWing 2 score attack have all recently served as nice pick-me-ups that didn't require much time, but then I'd sit in there to grab a new score or best time anyway. Simpsons Hit and Run is great to just blast around every once in a while, whether or not going for another stage goal.

Top Bottom