• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your gaming New Year’s resolutions?

phant0m

GAF, we’re 2 days away from 2024. What are your gaming-related resolutions for the new year?

I’ll start:

I’m cancelling all my gaming subscriptions.

• PS+: Been a subscriber since it started in 2011. All my friends play multiplayer on PC now and the free monthly titles are really hit and miss. I can’t actually tell you the last one I played.
  • Game Pass: Value is absolutely there but I just don’t have time. The only GP title I put any significant time into this year was Starfield and I dropped it after 10ish hours. I also don’t play anything multiplayer on Xbox.
  • NSO: It’s still shitty you need it for cloud backups, but the only game I played on Switch this year was TOTK and at this point in its life I guess I don’t care about saves anymore. The classic titles are better played on emulators.

Last edited:

farmerboy

My quietest gaming year on record. I would just love to get back into it and work through the back catalogue.

Part of that will be accepting that so.e of those games I just wont play, so I can then concentrate on the ones I really want to play.

TexMex TexMex holy shit 250 plats.

Last edited:
Play the shit out of my 3 month old pc. Absolutely love that thing.
Canceled PS Plus the minute they announced the price raise. Left Xbox in the dust. Sold my SX and have no intention to go back. Never been more disappointed with a console.
So, I'm all set for the new gaming year.

phant0m

Play the shit out of my 3 month old pc. Absolutely love that thing.
Canceled PS Plus the minute they announced the price raise. Left Xbox in the dust. Sold my SX and have no intention to go back. Never been more disappointed with a console.
So, I'm all set for the new gaming year.

What disappointed you about SX hardware? I just picked one up for $350 and I’ve actually been pleasantly surprised. The OS UI isn’t trash anymore and the Store is organized better than PS5 (imo). I also really like that I can put in discs from any generation of Xbox on the supported BC titles.

What disappointed you about SX hardware? I just picked one up for $350 and I’ve actually been pleasantly surprised. The OS UI isn’t trash anymore and the Store is organized better than PS5 (imo). I also really like that I can put in discs from any generation of Xbox on the supported BC titles.
Those are indeed the good points but Microsoft is severely lacking in the games department and what they release is not on the level it should be. The points you raise about bc where the only ones I could think off to keep the XS and that's not what I bought the console for. Enjoy it though. Hope it serves you well.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I dont have any really. Try to nab a Switch 2.

I already achieved my main resolutions. I play lots of A and AA games. I trusted my gut more than ever and skipped many day 1 purchases I didnt think were worth it (RE4, Dead Space, AC6, SM2, FF16). I let myself focus on just 1 game for months and really got to fully absorb it and appreciate it like when I was a kid (Starfield, TotK). I tried some new multiplayer and had a lot of fun (Exoprimal). I think I made unusually good decisions for myself in 2023.

I guess I can try to play a bit more VR. I put the Quest 2 away for several months. I'd also like to hook up the Wii U.

Last edited:

Pejo

I already made my big resolutions last year.

• Not buying games I didn't immediately plan to play
  • Not pre-ordering games
  • No gaming subscriptions
  • Not buying games for more than $40. (super hyped new releases not withstanding, ie TotK)
If I had to make one this year, I'd say it'd be actually trying to break into the backlog.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Probably sleep on AAA aside from Tekken 8 and focus more on smaller games. That's where I've had the most fun since I got another Steam Deck. I'm also planning to move farther away from console and most likely build a new gaming PC in the Spring, probably keeping most of my console time with Nintendo. I already turned off auto-renew for PS+ and Game Pass, even though I'm good into 2026 on GP. So if anything good hits it I'll play there.

As far as forums, the console wars bullshit in literally every sales thread is insufferable, so I'll continue to put those threads on ignore and lean more into Steam reviews and Youtube coverage to find games I like. Focus more on general discussion of games I'm interested in.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’ve done very well with not buying games day one, spending less of my own money, working on finishing what I start, and not doing any subscriptions without a promo.

So for me it’d have to be not to fall for Switch 2 fomo. Difficulty will depend on what the launch looks like, but I’m so entrenched in PC gaming I don’t see myself taking money put aside for a future GPU - and using it on a console.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
No smoking
No drinking
No soda Zero
Eating healthy >
Smaller portions
100% Gym
Working on my self image through therapy.
Lose 4 to 6 kilos.
Try to read and draw
Invest in my house.
Be more optimistic
Be less passive.
Save money

Cut of my hair

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I think I've grown past that phase.

Larry David Reaction GIF

SCB3

• Clearing a big chunk of my backlog and replaying some classics
  • Also started collecting more Pokemon games, up to 10 now with the purchase of Crystal, which leads into:
    • Actually doing well and hopefully making it to tournaments of the VGC ladder on Scarlet/Violet

LastBattle

No smoking
No drinking
No soda Zero
Eating healthy >
Smaller portions
100% Gym
Working on my self image through therapy.
Lose 4 to 6 kilos.
Try to read and draw
Invest in my house.
Be more optimistic
Be less passive.
Save money

Cut of my hair
You got this! I’d suggest quitting smoking and drinking one at a time. Imo you’ll have a better chance for success.

BouncyFrag

I need to play Outward and get really into it.

I’ve never gotten into a Final Fantasy game and will give FF16 a go as I really enjoyed the demo.

Backlog, backlog, and more backlog to be whittled down.

RAIDEN1

Tap into the world of O.G Xbox, shouldn't be that hard to connect to a flat-screen TV, with the way emulation went on Series X, I think re-starting the original Xbox is the best way to go to experience games I missed in the early 2000's....and I don't have a state-of-the art PC so getting back into the original console might be the best option, also getting in some more PS3 gaming in....(possibly) but this was another year I just never seemed to get on top of my back-log.....So I got to be selective what my next purchases are in the near future: ie, Robocop and Dark Forces Remastered...

Shifty1897

• Play more games than 2023
  • Only buy 10/10 rated games until my backlog is complete
  • Make extra payments on my mortgage so I won't be paying on it when I'm 68
  • Get promoted to a senior engineer
  • Lose some weight, goal is to lose 20 pounds or more
  • Be more positive, try to not let the struggles of parenting weigh me down

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
1) Stop buying games on day 1 - and I'm talking about the good ones too like RE4 remake, why spend 60-70 Eurodollars when you can get them for 30, 4-5 months later ?

2) Cancelling my PS plus (extra) subscription : Played all the exclusives that I missed, not interested in anything else since whatever I like, I usually buy, plus, I don't have the time to play all of the available games.
Also : the fact that games can be taken off the catalogue while I'm in the middle of playing them doesn't sit right with me, in that case, I might as well buy them altogether and enjoy them at my leisure.

3) Not gonna fall for hyped games again, I'm gonna wait and read opinions/watch reviews after the honeymoon period ends.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
just be consistent and get some solid gaming in every week making progress on whatever game I'm playing i know i can't play everyday but if i can put in some time every week and not take like two or three weeks off then that is probably fine to me

StereoVsn

Main one:

- Stop adding to the "library", aka backlog, and start playing games I already own. I mean I just kind of failed with the current sales a bit, but to be fair I kept to fairly low numbers and spent under $100 on Steam games and $50 on eShop. Thats going to be it for a few months.

Another one:

- Pause on playing a few strategy games that take up most of my gaming time. Aka, damn you Paradox!

• Play and finish 3 games.
  • Stop buying games at day 1.
  • Don't play more than 20 min a day.
  • Support talanted indies.
  • Contininue to collect EGS free games.
  • Revisit the PSN subscribtion, It's not wort it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Play some of the all-timer slammers I've still not played like Yakuza 0.

The best private WoW server anyone's ever seen is out Q2 though so it's a half-year resolution before I'm busy.

killatopak

Play less.

2023 has been a great time for games but less time for everything else. Unfortunately the next few months of game releases is too tempting for me. I need more resolve.

EDMIX

I mean, not much evade bitches, evade tricks, give playa haters plenty space.

Will only play 3 RPGs next year.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Since I'm thinking Switch 2 will have DLSS, 4K but I won't mind 1440P.

Last edited:
Top Bottom