• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What did you think about TGA 2023?

I found it extremely boring with few game reveals/showcases that piqued my interest personally. Visions of Mana and Metaphor Refantazio look good but thats about it the rest all seemed like super generic western shlock.

I dont have a dog in the fight but BG3 winning over TOTK was a huge surprise.

Codes 208

Im hyped for dbz sparking zero and the salty meltdown from sm2 not getting any awards was hilarious

Other than that, chris rightfully calling out CoD and the MHWilds reveals, it was just eh.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's not a simple answer. To properly explain my thoughts on it I'd have to really put into context my history with awards shows and -

WRAP IT UP

... okay.

default-large.jpg

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Great production values, Geoff did his best.
I have no problems with the actual product. It’s a legit show now

The problem is with the content. Nobody gives the show their big guns. The announcements suck.

When you have Sony showing up with free DLC

Nintendo with fucking nothing

EA showing up with an indie remake

Ubisoft with a sidescroller

Acti with nothing

MS being the only one to actually announce things worth a damn

Closing the show with an ugly ass last gen as fuck looking monster hunter…

The industry has abandoned the show.

It’s a bunch of indies and small announcements from big companies.

He has nothing to work with

And people were expecting R* to give him the GTA 6 trailer LOL. Better chance of me sleeping with Taylor swift tomorrow

Last edited:

The problem is with the content. Nobody gives the show their big guns. The announcements suck.

Acti with nothing

And people were expecting R* to give him the GTA 6 trailer LOL. Better chance of me sleeping with Taylor swift tomorrow
Yeah its like an abandoned wasteland. He had nothing to work with.

Im hyped for dbz sparking zero and the salty meltdown from sm2 not getting any awards was hilarious

Other than that, chris rightfully calling out CoD and the MHWilds reveals, it was just eh.
I was surprised they announced another DBZ game after announcing BT4 earlier this year. I would be hyped if not for that.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Yeah its like an abandoned wasteland. He had nothing to work with.
And it’s a shame because the production values are better than E3 ever was. This could be an amazing show with better announcements

But the industry would rather announce shit on Twitter

And it’s a shame because the production values are better than E3 ever was. This could be an amazing show with better announcements

But the industry would rather announce shit on Twitter
I mean for fuck sake, GTA 6s reveal trailer dropped like 3 days before TGA. It could have been the shit if they just waited a few more days.

• LOL
Reactions: AV

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Anything that gives cool games more exposure is a good thing, but there's still shit to iron out ten years in:

- Cutting people off after a few minutes to shove in more advertising
- Completely skimming over awards like best indie game
- Nonsense categories and nominations like Cyberpunk being in (and winning) ongoing

Don't think any award was particular surprising apart from ongoing. Anyone who's finished BG3 knew it was winning GOTY. It was a walk, and a well deserved one.

MiguelItUp

It's far from perfect, but just like every year, it has its pros and cons. But regardless of the outcome, it's always nice to at least have something to check out. This year didn't really do anything for me personally in terms of showing games I'm interested in. There was 1 that got me hyped at least, so there's that. Everything else was basically eh, but the flow of reveals definitely felt improved.

I think the biggest flaw this year is the categorization and the nominations. So many just didn't make sense, and there are still categories that I don't think the majority know anything about. Like all the E-sport related ones.

That being said, I thought it was bizarre that it got so much flak this year. I mean, of course I understand not allowing devs to talk after receiving a reward, or only giving them a certain amount of time to talk, but it's also a huge production. As a result there are time constraints, so they have to schedule things to make sure there's no overlap, things go as planned, etc. But I was surprised by some of the reactions as the VGAs have always leaned hard on advertising, sponsoring, celebrities, etc. So, to me, none of this felt like a surprise. It didn't feel like anything "worse" either per se, just more of the same.

It'd be really cool to see it get to a point where everyone can be happy with it. But I doubt that will ever happen.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I bet a lot of PC gamers liked the show. There was a lot of cool stuff shown. It kept me watching, though the first 90 min or so were the best.

Mr Hyde

Pretty solid showing in terms of announcements. Hellblade 2 was impressive af. Visions of Mana was a wonderful surprise. Jurassic Park AAA is cool. Atlus had a new banger. Fan favorites from Sega are making a comeback. There was lots of stuff to look forward to. I don't care about the awards or who wins, but I agree devs are given too little time for their acceptance speech. I mean, it is a fucking award show after all. It's Geoff's attempt at giving the industry its own Oscars and the whole thing is taking a backseat in favor of ads and game announcements. It's pretty bizarre.

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

It was bad. Only good things were the sega announcement, monster hunter world, Soken winning best OST and BG3 winning GOTY.

Hudo

Two things mainly:
1.: For an event that calls itself "The Game Awards", the awards and developers receiving them were nothing more than a sideshow.
2.: For an "ad show", which is what it actually tries to be, it's bloated as fuck. I'd rather have E3 back (RIP).

Woopah

Acti with nothing

I didn't come away with that feeling at all.

Sony had a major DLC plus new trailers for two games, Sega had 5 games announced plus trailers for two Atlus games, Capcom had the next mainline Monster Hunter and Square Enix had the next mainline Mana game plus a FF7 Rebirth trailer.

I think Nintendo would have been there too if they didn't have Switch 2 coming soon.

I'd class a lot of that as fairly major, and that's not including a lot of the very cool smaller things like the next games from the creators of Ori and Dead Cells.

AzekZero

Neo Member
I think it was an amazing games festival and a terrible awards show. There's that image showing the 80/20 split between ads and awards.

They need to give the awards much more priority or rename this event to the Winter Games Fest.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

Overall its a decent award show, but it still has a long way to go.
They have proved time and time again that they are incapable of learning or improving.

1) The show still treats certain awards as an after-thought, the rapidfire mode for best rpg and best soundtrack and best art direction is a joke.
2) The show still has not enough gameplay awards. No award for world or level design, no award for gameplay or combat system.
3) The show has so many hollywood celebrities, it feels like gaming icons are embarrassed for some weird reason, and they needed those actors to feel validated and serious enough which is ofcourse a joke, why do we need to get some hollywood actor who looks confused and lost at the stage and look incredibly bored and like he doesnt care about games?
4) This year it got even worse with winners not getting enough time to speak, its their moment yet they are being cut-off for some add about a C tier game or some joke with some actor.
5) The pacing is all over the place, the pre-show and the actual show are a rushed mess, it would help to cut some garbage games from appearing on the show, put them in summerfest.
6) The production of the show is pretty good but i believe it could get even better.
7) The timing of the show does not fit for EU, its a bit too late imo, but thats a minor problem. I think they can adjust it better for higher viewership.
8) Esports awards have no place in this show and nobody cares about them, Esports have their own award show.

Top Bottom