• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Xbox won the Game Awards 2023

Draugoth

Gold Member
960x0.png

Via Forbes (Duh)

Microsoft was…clever, this year, to say the least, when it came to how it played its hand in The Game Awards. Yes, they did win a handful of awards, but pre-show, the big controversy was about their mega-launch Starfield not securing more than a single nomination, Best RPG, which of course it lost to Baldur’s Gate 3. That was deemed a somewhat significant failure given how profile the game should have been in their slate.

However, Microsoft instead leaned into the Geoff Keighley “main” draw of the show, the fact that it’s more or less become Winter E3. Well, really it’s the only E3 now, given the demise of the summer show, and publishers and Xbox and PlayStation just doing their own showcases.

So, Microsoft planned this well. They won a few awards, Hi-Fi Rush for Sound Design, Forza for Racing/Sports and Accessibility. But what they also did was thread in rather large Xbox-centric announcements and reveals all throughout the show. We had:

• A really great look at Hellblade 2, out next year, and the (second best) music performance of the show, impressive to land with a game that didn’t even have a release date, so the entire thing served as essentially chunky 10 minute ad for the project, well above and beyond most other games showcased outside of, of course, Hideo Kojima’s OD.
  • And then, of course, Kojima’s OD is a project he’s making in collaboration with Microsoft. That part was glossed over a bit, but even though we didn’t see much from it and it was mostly a Kojima/Keighley/Peele love fest, it’s a big deal that Microsoft is making it with him, and between this and Hellblade that’s what, like 20 minutes at least for just these projects?
  • One of the biggest announcements of the show was that Arkane was making a licensed Marvel Blade game, a third person endeavor that debuted with an eye-catching trailer and a base concept that everyone seems to be on board with. Even though there was some oddness about Xbox not saying it was an Xbox exclusive, everyone expects it to be, and insiders are saying it is.
  • Baldur’s Gate 3 launched on Xbox after its GOTY win. Despite zero GOTY nominations, Microsoft still managed to attach itself to GOTY itself by finally launching Baldur’s Gate 3 on Xbox the night it won. The Larian folks were allegedly supposed to announce that on stage but forgot (that would have been…a bit tacky if you ask me), but it did launch all the same
Microsoft played this well, and Sony just wasn’t nearly as much of a player this year, when in the past, of course, it’s won GOTYs and loads of other awards. Not so in 2023.

The biggest Sony story is probably that Marvel’s Spider-Man, despite being nominated for seven awards, lost all of them. I don’t think that’s quite a reflection on the game but rather the insanely stacked nominee list this year, but it happened all the same.

In terms of actual wins, given that Alan Wake 2 and Baldur’s Gate swept so many categories, it was hard to squeeze much of anything out. Square Enix’s Sony exclusive FFXVI won best score (a category that was stupidly glossed over by Geoff). The Last of Us won Best Adaptation, which was not a shock, given its stack of Emmy nominations. And most anticipated game has shifted from Tears of the Kingdom to FFVII Rebirth. A Rebirth showcase was indeed a highlight, but that only has 3 month PS5 exclusivity window.

awards

The only of Sony’s exclusive mega-franchises featured was God of War Valhalla, which looked like perhaps a story expansion for a minute, but instead it’s a soon-to-be launched free roguelike combat mode. Interesting, perhaps, but not a huge deal. And on top of that, God of War actor Christopher Judge found himself in hot water over a joke aimed at (the now Microsoft-owned) Call of Duty team, which did not go over well in many circles.

Sometimes the timetables just don’t line up, and you don’t have much to reveal when your competition does. Sometimes your big, very good game debuts in a year with a lot of big, even better games. And this year The Game Awards were mostly dominated by two multiplatform games, so Xbox tried to inject what they could do the non-awards part of the show. Sony, for its part, didn’t. That may change in 2024, and everyone is just one big showcase away from mega-hype, but this was interesting to watch unfold.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Sony didn’t even show up and I still prefer god of war dlc and FF16 dlc over shit like hellblade.
FF is third party tho.

Imo Xbox seemed way better position than in previous years and way better than Sony in general.

I think the problem has to do with the reason why Jim Ryan is leaving Sony so abruptly, he seems to have messed with content delivery consistency due to his GaaS focus or whatever and that we just saw the surface of its impact, and it's reflecting not only on this year releases but also in the TGA.

Fbh

TLDR:
"While they were the only console maker with no GOTY nominee (despite launching one of their most anticipated titles in 2023), and even the most anticipated award went to a console exclusive on their direct competitor, MS managed to come out as the big winner of TGA by showing their new and improved triumph card: "Next year™....this time for sure guys™"

Thirty7ven

Banned
You know MS wanted E3 to keep going and for Sony and Nintendo keep coming. It’s exactly the same reasoning as going so hard with VGAs, they need a bigger stage than they can build on their own.

It’s out of necessity really. But it is smart and it should surely reflect itself in… the real world. Right?

FF is third party tho.

Imo Xbox seemed way better position than in previous years and way better than Sony in general.

I think the problem has to do with the reason why Jim Ryan is leaving Sony so abruptly, he seems to have messed with content delivery consistency due to his GaaS focus or whatever and that we just saw the surface of its impact, and it's reflecting not only on this year releases but also in the TGA.
The biggest game of the year was Baldurs Gate and Xbox took 5ever to unwrite their wrongs to get that solved. Get real.

Phils the biggest joker in the industry. His comments this year have been appalling to witness

Crayon

Can you go back to any given year of the last decade and not find articles and polls saying ms won a showing?

They had a super pathetic e3 one time where they had to show one "console launch exclusive" indie after another, while Sony have a monster show, and I think ms "won" the poll either on here or era. I forget.

Let's not pretend there's a battery of known Sony fanboys claiming to be unbiased journalists. Nor Nintendo or valve for that matter.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Lies GIF

Meh, show sucked. But it was funny that after all the shit posting and manufactured drama about “yet another year of Xbox having nothing at TGA” they tied Nintendo in wins and won three times as many as Sony.

Case and point above me lol.

PS, they won 3 awards (incl. Bethesda) and Nintendo won 2 if I'm not mistaken.

Larian: 6
Epic: 3
MS: 3

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Can you go back to any given year of the last decade and not find articles and polls saying ms won a showing?

They had a super pathetic e3 one time where they had to show one "console launch exclusive" indie after another, while Sony have a monster show, and I think ms "won" the poll either on here or era. I forget.

Let's not pretend there's a battery of known Sony fanboys pretending to be unbiased journalists. Nor Nintendo or valve for that matter.

Xbox’s biggest enemy is hindsight.

BlueLyria

Personally I don't think any of the big three win at TGA, sure MS announced Blade, but they haven't shown anything for their already announced titles, where's Perfect Dark?
Sony didn't announce shit lmao, neither did Nintendo.
Best announcements were Sega classics and Monster Hunter Wilds

Killer8

Baldur’s Gate 3 launched on Xbox after its GOTY win. Despite zero GOTY nominations, Microsoft still managed to attach itself to GOTY itself by finally launching Baldur’s Gate 3 on Xbox the night it won. The Larian folks were allegedly supposed to announce that on stage but forgot (that would have been…a bit tacky if you ask me), but it did launch all the same.

The biggest game of the year showing up over 3 months late on your console because of technical difficulties caused by the console. And it was such a footnote that the developer even forgot to announce it. What a win for Xbox.

Lies GIF

Ah, I thought I’d seen N won three.

So they won as many as Nintendo and Sony combined, and Sonys win wasn’t even for gaming, right? It was for Last of Us TV. Which was well deserved, season one was amazing.

Woopah

Lies GIF

Nintendo had 3 (Mario Wonder, Pikmin 4 and Tears of the Kingdom).
Personally I don't think any of the big three win at TGA, sure MS announced Blade, but they haven't shown anything for their already announced titles, where's Perfect Dark?
Sony didn't announce shit lmao, neither did Nintendo.
Best announcements were Sega classics and Monster Hunter Wilds
Sony announced the Ragnarok DLC and had new trailers for Rise of the Ronin and Helldivers 2. I thought it was a good showing.

EDMIX

Sony didn’t even show up and I still prefer god of war dlc and FF16 dlc over shit like hellblade.
True.

I'm not surprised, they are saying their big reveals, when they can do it on their time and hog the spot light.

aka GTA VI, COD etc

Top Bottom