• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you do when you suspect your coworker is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
... in a downward self-destructive spiral potentially involving crack/cocaine?

So I got to this jobsite and things seem to have been moving along pretty steadily. I started at the same time as three other guys, two of them are my age, the third is in his 50s I'd estimate. Now this guy, his name is Warren, he's an alright guy. We talk about guitars (he plays one), baggin girls (he's separated from his wife and trying to get back into dating) and just general bullshit. The only issue was that he really really put himself out there with stories about how his wife used to make him miserable and shit like that. So, being typical construction guys, the other dudes around the office bust his balls at every possible opportunity, it's fucking hilarious what they do to him, but I never participate, it's not cool in my book.

Well it all started last week, when apparently, he didn't make it into work because his wife punched him in the eye and told him she wants a divorce. He calls the office at around 8:30 AM drunk and says he won't be in. Monday he shows up late, and is all over the fucking place. Literally he is running up and down the halls and totally full of energy, to the point where he almost got into a fight with one of the subcontractor's foremen. Later on in the afternoon though, he totally disappeared. Same thing happened Tuesday and yesterday, however, yesterday our project exec was lookin for him, calling him up for like an hour and he was nowhere to be found. So today, same thing, he shows up at 9:00 AM (Work starts at 7:00 AM) full of energy, sniffling, snorting, and thumbing his nose, as usual. After lunch, I found him in my office laid out in my chair with his head back and his mouth open dead asleep. Took a while to wake him up fully, but even at that point he was just about passing out while I spoke to him.

I didn't even think of drugs until I was speaking with one of the security officers in the building. He'd seen Warren around and his best guess is that it's crack/cocaine. I couldn't even believe it when he told me, I was hoping that he was just drinking a bit too much coffee in the morning after sleepless nights. I mean c'mon, his wife did ask for the divorce. The more I observe him the more believable it is becoming. He had told another co-worker that he used to dabble in it back in the 70s, he's been borrowing money from everyone in the office, 20 bucks at a time, not a single one of us has been paid back, meanwhile we all just got paid on the 31st and he makes more than a lot of us, and he disappears for hours at a time.

I mean I don't want to outright ask him if he's on it, nor is it my business, but the man is hanging onto his job by a thin thread, his wife just left him, the guys at work fucking rail him at every possible turn, and if he is into drugs, this could be the beginning of the ruination of his life. I'm a pretty nice and easy going guy so people usually take advice from me, what exactly do I say to this man to try and help him out? ...Or should I just stay out of it? I know it's none of my business but I really hate to see someone flush their life down the shitter.

Mau_Mau

Banned
Ask him who is dealer is and if me could hook me up with some deals. Really though, it depends on how well you know this guy. Personally, I'd maybe bring it up somewhat jokingly to avoid an awkward situation, but more than likely I'd ignore it altogther. It would be a funny thing to see though.

Matlock

Banned
I say...Just try and stay out of it.

It ain't gonna be pretty if you do something, but if may be if you do...

Dammit, even my cold logic can't get past this damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Dilbert

As much as it's against your nature, which wants to help this guy...stay the hell away.

People who are in a downward spiral will only get better when they WANT to change. Ultimately, what makes them want to change is mounting negative consequences that they can't ignore. The best thing you can do for him is to not cover for him at work, not loan him money, and let the consequences play out.

Also, people who are that strung out on drugs are unstable and dangerous. As you already noted, he was so hyped up at one point that he was looking for a fight -- do you want to be that guy he finds? Or get robbed because he's desperate for a fix? For your own safety, it's best to stay away from this guy.

Iceman

I say take him out to dinner or lunch some place away from the rest of the guys and ask him straight up what's going on.

You could get involve by trying to help him out but i would advice against that, he is not your responsibility, talk to him, ask about his family and try to find out if they can help him withing being in direct contact with him or his family.

mrmyth

-jinx- said:
As much as it's against your nature, which wants to help this guy...stay the hell away.

People who are in a downward spiral will only get better when they WANT to change. Ultimately, what makes them want to change is mounting negative consequences that they can't ignore. The best thing you can do for him is to not cover for him at work, not loan him money, and let the consequences play out.

Also, people who are that strung out on drugs are unstable and dangerous. As you already noted, he was so hyped up at one point that he was looking for a fight -- do you want to be that guy he finds? Or get robbed because he's desperate for a fix? For your own safety, it's best to stay away from this guy.

THIS MAN SPEAKS THE TRUTH.

The guy won't change until he bangs his head on rock-bottom. And downward spirals have a nasty habit of sucking others into them. They're like black holes.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
He's fucking at it again. At lunch I walked by the local Chinese place and saw him sleeping, I was in a rush to get to a store during my time, so I didn't stop in to wake him up. After about 30 minutes I walked back and he is still in there. At this point I did go in and wake the dude up, out of courtesy to the owner of the establishment. I went off again to grab something to eat and spend about another 20 minutes, I see him standing up against a newsstand, eyes closed, dead asleep.

Spoke with a co-worker about the situation and he is basically saying the same thing jinx and Matlock said, to stay away. But again, our boss's boss was looking for him this afternoon, I ran down to where I knew he would be and the guy was dead asleep in his shanty again. This is after this morning, again bouncing all over the place, couldn't even keep his hands from shaking. When he first came in, he was pretty sluggish, it was his day to get the bagels and he forgot. Went out to get them and it's like he was a superball bouncing around.

I'm staying the hell away. Not that I'm afraid of him coming after me (roofle), but just so I am not associated with him when he does finally go down.

Pimpwerx

Different people deal with things differently. Sometimes, people use drugs for the escape, and have it fully under control. Rough patches in their lives get ironed over this way. Not everyone is self-destructive. If you're tight with this guy, talk to him. Otherwise, leave him be. He'll either get fired, kill himself, or...he'll get his shit together on his own and resume normalcy. Having stood by and watched one of my friends endure an intervention for weed, I can tell you that preachy people fucking suck. If someone isn't actively seeking help, don't offer it unless you feel some obligation to this person. But if someone came to me and gave me an intervention for weed or coke or something, I'd slap them and tell them to get the fuck out of my face with their bullshit. It's different for different people, but not everyone wants help. PEACE.

mrmyth

Pimpwerx said:
Different people deal with things differently. Sometimes, people use drugs for the escape, and have it fully under control. Rough patches in their lives get ironed over this way. Not everyone is self-destructive. If you're tight with this guy, talk to him. Otherwise, leave him be. He'll either get fired, kill himself, or...he'll get his shit together on his own and resume normalcy. Having stood by and watched one of my friends endure an intervention for weed, I can tell you that preachy people fucking suck. If someone isn't actively seeking help, don't offer it unless you feel some obligation to this person. But if someone came to me and gave me an intervention for weed or coke or something, I'd slap them and tell them to get the fuck out of my face with their bullshit. It's different for different people, but not everyone wants help. PEACE.

Preachy people suck, but its alright to destroy everyone around you in a slow tortuous manner?

White Man

+1 Jinx.

You really, really don't want to try and help anyone with any sort of amphetamine problem. As a matter of fact, it'd probably be wise to communicate with him as little as possible. People on 'pheta breaks have a tendency to go pretty darned (sometimes dangerously) irrational after a couple weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom