• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think of PS5's look

Blond

Banned
I dislike it enough that it killed my interest in adopting early next gen. But on the plus side, in a couple years I can jump on price drops + cheap games, if there's even anything that interest me.

Tripolygon

Banned
Just like the Dual Sense, it will grow on you. The design is not boring that's for sure whether you like it or not compared to the Series X design which is a simple black box.

They needed a way to distract people from the giant vents wrapping around the console.
5-minute edit to tone down the popped collar.

d3wnSA3.jpg

Looks like something you could do yourself with the right tools.

Just a slight guess at what the collar is for. Maybe it's to stop crap from being sucked into the unit?

But then again hot air rises so it should blow out from the top to ensure more efficient cooling.

Last edited:
I loved the design. I still love watching the damn memes, because they are so funny.

People that say it looks like a vagina seem to have not seen one in real life.

You seriously think people have not seen pussy in real life before? Seriously?

It is one of our favorite things to think about, but do you want your gaming console to look like one with the flappy lips?

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Just like the Dual Sense, it will grow on you. The design is not boring that's for sure whether you like it or not compared to the Series X design which is a simple black box.
Two completely opposite approaches to the design. Microsoft doesn't want your console to standout, and blend in your environment. Sony chooses to have it present, front & center of your tv unit. So it purely depends on what you want from a console.

Dodkrake

Banned
You seriously think people have not seen pussy in real life before? Seriously?

It is one of our favorite things to think about, but do you want your gaming console to look like one with the flappy lips?

A lot of them haven't, and you can tell.

Anyway, It looks like a futuristic skyskraper or a Duck beak. I don't see a vagina there, but you do you.

A lot of them haven't, and you can tell.

Anyway, It looks like a futuristic skyskraper or a Duck beak. I don't see a vagina there, but you do you.

it is a still a silly come back and a silly insult to use these days, if anyone says vagina the come back is always he has never seen one.

It looks like a vagina period. I am not saying it is an ugly vagina, I am not saying it is one of the pretty ones. It is just a vagina which was unexpected that is all.

I am a painter dude, I went to art school I had to draw nudes in class, I had to draw penises and vaginas. I can also work with clay. So even if I was one of your imaginary virgin basement nerds. I know how a vagina looks enough to draw one from memory.

It is an abstract vagina mind you, like a Georgia O'Keeffe painting but any designer or creative type with an eye can tell you the elements are clear enough. It is not an insult on the design, it is different, it is just not expected. Sony went with this I'm just not liking it myself. People may like it. It is what it is. Saying what it looks like does not take much effort really

Last edited:

Kagero

Not only that but you really can't tell how big it is on those initial shots. Those people are basing it on looks and nothing else. But we now know that this thing is HUGE.

m68gq2vi8e451.png

And the fact that it needs a stand to lay flat (because it's too curvy) is ridiculous.

comparasioniykr9.jpg
Nice comparison! Okay I'm back on board with this. This thing is definitely not generic and I like the boldness. Plus the console not being able to lay flat might be intentional as it will help to dissipate heat.

Cyborg

Im still in the 'meh' club. It needs to grow on me but still Im there on Day 1! Did you see those games, batshit crazy!

- R&C en Horizon will make me forget about the desing.

Xorbus

Well, this is what you expect for your money. A brave, pioneering work of art, a tour de force. Nicely done, perfect show.

My first reaction was "it's unique." That may sound like a backhanded compliment, but that's just the first word that came to mind. It definitely looks like a console. My second reaction was "that looks like it is gonna get hot," but that's just pure speculation on my part.

Hey, at least it's different.

Definitely different than anything I was expecting, but overall I like it, just hope it doesn't look awkward on its side with the stand...I am guessing the stand (that hopefully comes with it) is dual purpose, used for both vertical and horizontal. Not I want to see the back of the console, underside of the controller and a teardown of both!

I think it looks fine.
Its different.

I'm certainly glad that this isn't black box vs black box. Each platform seems to have its own identity. Xbox has the whole Microsoft minimalistic, hard-edged design language that exists across MS's entire hardware portfolio. Meanwhile Sony seem to be a bit more playful with their designs. Its good. It means that a random person in a shop knows instantly which is which.

Tarin02543

To me, the design doesn't really matter, what is more important is how quiet the console will be.

Is there any indication? will it be a quiet console? Any info on that?

The whole architecture has been designed for low noise cooling. variable clock cpu + gpu, constant temperatures and constant fan speed.

magnumpy

obviously there needs to a black "Special Edition" later. I mean I want it now, but see I'm already considering ways in which they can up-sell me before the console has even launched :(

SilentUser

Despite mine and others criticism, there is a phenomenon where many things initially aesthetically objectionable become very much beautiful after an initial adjustment period. With things before it looking very ordinary. See if we get there with this one.
That's what I'm expecting to happen to me. I'm not crazy about the console at the moment, the design is very different from other Playstations.

Raonak

Banned
I think it looks fantastic, it's bold and divisive.
honestly i'm glad to not have yet another black box. PS4 was good for it's time, but Pro and Slim were boring af.

It's funny how both consoles sorta look like skyscrapers. xbox being a standard office building and ps5 being some high concept building you'd see in dubai.

Last edited:

Shmunter

I think it looks fantastic, it's bold and divisive.

honestly i'm glad to not have yet another black box. PS4 was good for it's time, but Pro and Slim were boring af.

It's funny how both consoles sorta look like skyscrapers. xbox being a standard office building and ps5 being some high concept building you'd see in dubai.
Best post with the metaphors

NullZ3r0

Banned
Its growing on me, ya'll. Im talking about the All Digital version. Disc version is trash. I hope XSX has a discless option.

Puplord

Neo Member
Not gonna lie. Initially I was sceptical about the design because I have a white air cooler in my house which looks very similar. Then I saw the digital version which looked better and then I saw the console horizontally which looked even better. Sony has said that the PS5 is one made for the 2020's and will blend in with your futuristic living room. So that has actually changed my impression.

Series X has a compelling minimalist architecture with a black coat compared to the white one here. I like both but Series X is my go-to aesthetically when compared.

Blond

Banned
That shit looks like a gamer router. Gonna look great in a closed cabinet.

speaking of "gamer router" are a fan on the Nighthawk and Asus monstrosities? I worked at a Microcenter in 2015 when these started appearing and was shocked at how many people were willing to drop 300 dollars on Wifi router that realistically probably didn't help much outside of portblocking you can do yourself.

ViolentP

speaking of "gamer router" are a fan on the Nighthawk and Asus monstrosities? I worked at a Microcenter in 2015 when these started appearing and was shocked at how many people were willing to drop 300 dollars on Wifi router that realistically probably didn't help much outside of portblocking you can do yourself.

Gaming is like smoking herb: it's fun but god damn the culture is embarrassing.

Shrap

Oh shit. I had that desktop ages ago. It was actually a nice and simple design. Looks better than the PS5.

I'm surprised Sony showed it off vertically as it looks much better horizontally. It's still ugly in my opinion but I only care about the games.

I'd appreciate it if they make a black version to hide some of the ugliness.

Top Bottom