• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Fall TV shows will you be watching? - 2014 Ver. + A Look at the New Fall Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Survivor - CBS - 8/7c

The Mysteries of Laura - NBC - 8/7c

The Middle - ABC - 8/7c

The Goldbergs - ABC - 8:30/7:30c

Law & Order: SVU - NBC - 9/8c

NOVA: Rise of the Hackers - PBS - 9/8c

Modern Family - ABC - 9/8c

Black-ish - ABC - 9:30/8:30c

Nashville - ABC - 10/9c

Chicago P.D. - NBC - 10/9c

Life on the Reef - PBS - 10/9c

South Park - Comedy Central - 10/9c

Key & Peele - Comedy Central - 10:30/9:30c

Do we have anyone doing the OT for The Affair? Just wanted to make sure it was covered by someone. Ratsky, maybe?

Seems like something for Ratsky.

*The art of peer pressure*

I wasn't planning on doing it but I can if you want me to.

Chris R

Is Nova a series on hacking/computer issues or just a single episode? I have it set to record but thought it was just one, if it's more I'll be pleased :D

Is Nova a series on hacking/computer issues or just a single episode? I have it set to record but thought it was just one, if it's more I'll be pleased :D

Just one episode on hacking, but you should set a season pass for it anyways. Nova and Frontline are generally both great. I love PBS.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so I assume everyone hates Forever since its a cookie cutter procedural?

I watched the first 2 eps and kinda dug it, in the same way I dig Elementary :/ Im weak, what can I say.

Hows the ratings on it before I get invested?

Sober

I watched the first 2 eps and kinda dug it, in the same way I dig Elementary :/ Im weak, what can I say.

You didn't hear the news? Procedurals are dead, they are for old grandpas only whose TVs cannot change channels and are stuck to CBS and if you are under 40 and still watch procedurals you must literally hate serial dramas.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

The preview on Monday earned a 1.5 but was adjusted up to a 1.7 and the second episode that aired yesterday earned a 1.7 but was adjusted up to a 1.8. It's doing fairly well thus far.

Anyone doing a thread for Key and Peele S4?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=897599

Thanks for making this. BTW, "I'm driving" would have been a hilarious quote for the title. Still one of my favorite moments in the show. (When Brick is driving and says "I'm driving" and then does his thing where he bows his head and whispers "I'm driving" WHILE DRIVING, haha.)
The whisper gag gets me every time.

maxcriden

Yes I realize that my OTs are very basic but they're usually for shows that wouldn't get one anyways on GAF so I don't mind doing it.

Hm? I hope it didn't sound like I was being critical of your OT not having a subtitle. On the contrary, I really appreciate you making them and I'm glad to have a place to discuss The Middle on GAF!

Chris R

Just one episode on hacking, but you should set a season pass for it anyways. Nova and Frontline are generally both great. I love PBS.

I check my recordings every Sat/Sun and always look at Nova. When the topic interests me I set it to record. Frontline rarely does anything for me though.

Wiktor

You didn't hear the news? Procedurals are dead, they are for old grandpas only whose TVs cannot change channels and are stuck to CBS and if you are under 40 and still watch procedurals you must literally hate serial dramas.

That would be hard to pull off when two of the very best shows on the air are procedurals though :)

Wiktor

You're not alone. Pretty big surprise with Forever. I thought it would be watered down New Amsterdam, but it's a lot better. It is a procedural, but one done right. The Elementary comparision is pretty spot on, altough Forever isn't quite on the same level (Elementary at it's best easily spanks BBC's Sherlock after all).

And rating wise it seems to be doing rather well, at least for now.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Bones - Fox - 8/7c

Grey's Anatomy - ABC - 8/7c

Scandal - ABC - 9/8c

How to Get Away With Murder - ABC - 10/9c

Parenthood - NBC - 10/9c

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
im sure this joke has been done 100 times, but its so accurate, im gonna do it too

Black-ish was OK-ish

It wasnt horrible or anything, but nothing special either. Ill give it a few more eps. At least theres no laugh track

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
NCIS: New Orleans is NCIS. Same editing, same overly hard-boiled dialogue, very similar case structure. The actors and character archetypes seem ported one-to-one. I mean, it seems fine if you like this kind of thing. I don't think I'd watch any more. I don't think any of the CSI spinoffs, NCIS, or the NCIS spinoffs have really had the same vibrance of either the first few seasons of CSI or JAG in general. It's just... it's not really something with impact. Bakula is fine, though--I can say one thing about this show, everyone feels like they're a seasoned pro. I feel like there's a commonality between soap operas and long-running franchise procedurals in that what they need is not really strong actors or performances, but professional week-in week-out show-up-and-get-it-done type workmanlike performances, and the cast definitely satisfy that. So, yeah.

Forever, and I think I mentioned this a while ago, feels a lot like Elementary. A little too clever, a little eye-rolly, but light enough to be good background distraction. I think I'd prefer Elementary, but this isn't terrible. I'd maybe catch up on it some summer if I have nothing new to watch.

Gotham is actually not terrible. I'm not a comic book fan and I have no interest in Batman or a TV series based on Batman. But Gotham is a significantly better pilot and feels like a significantly better potential for a show than Agents of Shield or Arrow. Both Ben McKenzie and Donal Logue are good actors and play the roles appropriately in the pilot. The initial case is pretty neat. I actually feel like a police procedural with a sort of quasi-heightened-reality feel would be a pretty neat thing.

The pilot is not without flaws, though. The virtual set extensions and chromakey are generally poor in part because they are used inconsistently. In the police precinct they're used to create a tonal thing--sort of like a hardboiled 1920s soft-focus feel. But then in exterior shots, for example the shots with the monorail in the background, they're used for a sort of modern realism style. The clash just makes it feel like a cheap limitation of budget. Furthermore, the pilot is shot a lot like most comic book stuff--which is to say with unnecessarily rapid camera cuts like a music video. This makes the pilot feel crammed full. No moment is allowed to linger, the pacing is too fast. Load up a random scene and every time the camera cuts, say "cut" out loud. You'll notice you're saying "cut cut cut cut cut cut cut". Smash cuts between scenes are also too fast; for example, the scene where Gordon gives a drink to his girlfriend is far too rushed and the smash cut to the next scene too abrupt. Also, the final scene and the smash cut to the GOTHAM title card is too fast.

I think this probably happened because they were over their length/time. That's probably because they wasted an inordinate amount of time dropping fan-favourite characters. Catwoman is not used at all. Ivy's few moments are neat, but unnecessary. Riddler's one scene is useless. Besides these three and Penguin, we also meet three other villains. Really, seven villains introduced int he pilot? A focus on just Penguin and maybe the burlesque club owner would have given the episode quite a bit more breathing room.

Finally, I don't think the focus on Bruce Wayne added much. The kid isn't a strong enough actor for the material. I assume as the series go on his relationship with Gordon will be earned, but in the pilot it isn't. Are we to believe that Gordon is so principled, he goes to Wayne Manor to... err.. offer his resignation to young Bruce while asking Bruce not to accept it so he can catch the real killer??? And then Bruce's reaction is like "yeah ok" and he stands up and leaves the room. The whole seem doesn't play well.

I did appreciate the rougher portrayal of Alfred. That was neat.

Those complaints make it seem like I thought it was bad. I didn't. It was much more engaging than the boring Agents of Shield or stupid Arrow pilots. It basically feels a little more sophisticated in its story, its tone, and its ambitions. That bodes well. It's possible I'll watch a few more episodes of Gotham, and that's not something I expected at all when I was going into the show, so in that respect, huge success.

We watched Scorpion tonight. Ferrari going 200 mph down a runway to connect a cable to an airplane?

Fuck yeah.

Actually thought it was decent. Will watch.

Wiktor

Forever, and I think I mentioned this a while ago, feels a lot like Elementary. A little too clever, a little eye-rolly, but light enough to be good background distraction. I think I'd prefer Elementary, but this isn't terrible. I'd maybe catch up on it some summer if I have nothing new to watch.

I think that's because Elementary can get beyond just being cute. From the pilot Sherlock was shown as incredibly damaged man, so there was already a place to take serious drama from, while Forever lacks that. Despite 200 years the dude is surprisingly well adjusted. They make some attempts to show his sadness, but it never works fully. Altough a large portion of that is propably because Johnny Lee Miller is simply a lot better actor (his Sherlock is the most underrated tv role at the moment IMO).

Still, Forever is fun. Not enough to make me go week by week, but it's kind of show that I remember to catch up during periods where others shows have breaks.

That said I wonder why Elementary is premiering so late this year.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Black(interpunct)ish was enjoyable enough. I chuckled a few times and laughed once or twice, which is a win for family-oriented network comedy. Occasionally interesting things to say, although I can't help but think that it'll end up a little more toothless than it ought to be because the audience has to include affluent white people so it can't really do any kind of edgy or divisive material. Anderson's wife has enormous eyes that swallow up every shot she's in, the son has a gentle kindness, both are cast well. Fishburne is probably the weak-link because "old wisecracker" is a shit character archetype. I wish the family was a little less wealthy to keep the show grounded at all. Whoever was doing wardrobe deserves a kudos, Anderson's clothing looked excellent.

Madam Secretary is just OK. Tea Leoni has a very expressive face and she plays a TOUGH WOMAN pretty effortlessly. I'm less enthused about the rest of the casting, including Zeljko Ivanek who is playing a vaguely sinister guy for like the 20th time. I like the fact that the show at least attempts to be literate, and doesn't have much "our audience is dumb so we need to talk to them like they're dumb even though we're smart" stuff--that being said, some of the dialogue particularly the husband's introduction scene and the son's half-baked rantings are a little too on the nose. The best scene was Leoni trying to talk to the parents, and being very sympathetic but also keeping her distance in case the parents screw the whole thing up. It felt appropriately diplomatic.

But the episode as a whole needed more punch; I feel like the central resolution was sort of boring (okay, so a 10 second phone call through literally a random Russian guy got them released? Wow, that was difficult. And then the Chief of Staff is, like, mad that you did that, but he's not really mad, and you sort of agree to be friendly rivals in the future?). I think it'd be a better show if it had a voice about political issues OR intelligence issues, given that Leoni's character is a former CIA agent. So far, though, it's just about personal issues.

As an aside, while the score occasionally has the patriot-sentimental-perky cues you'd expect from this sort of thing, the trend towards instantly brief title cards and no opening music in recent years is a bit of a bummer. I loved in the West Wing how the cold open would smash into the big, rousing score... and every episode, no matter how sad, would fade into the peppy closing score. We don't get it here, instead just a sterile DC setting title card.

I half watch Grey's with my wife. I thought they'd struggle without Sarah Oh and I was right. A train wreck of a season premier. Terrible CGI. Terrible writing. Terribly bored performances.

Even my wife raised her eyebrows at it.

- Starz Offers Sampling Of LeBron James’ Comedy Series ‘Survivor’s Remorse’ Ahead Of Premiere
Starz is offering nationwide multiplatform sampling of the first two episodes of basketball comedy Survivor’s Remorse beginning Saturday, September 27, a week ahead of its October 4 premiere.

The premium cable channel says about 78 million multichannel video households will have access to the sampling via select cable, satellite and telco affiliates in the U.S., and online through websites including Starz.com; the Survivor’s Remorse Twitter, YouTube and Facebook pages; Starz on Demand; and the free Starz Play app. The episodes also will be available on Amazon Instant Video, Vudu, Sony Entertainment Network and CinemaNow.

The six-episode, half-hour scripted series centers on basketball phenom Cam Calloway (Jessie T. Usher) who must balance fame and fortune with his former family life after signing a multimillion-dollar contract with a professional basketball team in Atlanta. Tom Werner, Maverick Carter, LeBron James, Mike O’Malley, Paul Wachter and Victor Levin executive produce.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Transparent - Amazon

Shark Tank - ABC - 8/7c

The Amazing Race - CBS - 8/7c

Hawaii Five-O - CBS - 9/8c

Dateline - NBC - 9/8c

Live from Lincoln Center: Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street - PBS - 9/8c

Blue Bloods - CBS - 10/9c

20/20 - ABC - 10/9c

Ratsky will you make a thread a little early, so we can discuss early oremiere?

I shall try!

RPGCrazied

the-flash-poster-thecw.jpg
Add The Flash to my list, watched the pilot online, really liked it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

The Paradise - PBS - 8/7c

Once Upon a Time - ABC - 8/7c

The Simpsons - Fox - 8/7c

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Fox - 8:30/7:30c

Family Guy - Fox - 9/8c

Resurrection - ABC - 9/8c

Revenge - ABC - 10/9c

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - CBS - 10/9c

L1NETT

Cross posting from t'other thread but;

Jon Hamm (Mad Men, Million Dollar Arm), Rafe Spall (One Day, I Give It A Year) and Oona Chaplin (Game of Thrones, The Crimson Field) are confirmed to co-star in the Black Mirror feature-length special due on Channel 4 this Christmas.

Jon Hamm said: “I am beyond thrilled to be a part of the Black Mirror Christmas Special. I have been a massive fan of the show since its inception.

Its dark humour and intelligent observation of our society and values hooked me deeply as a viewer and I'm honoured that Charlie and the rest of the creative team have asked me to participate in wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas.”

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/...ona-chaplin-set-for-black-mirror-xmas-special

---

Also random, is there any news on when Fortitude airs? The Tucci/Grabol thing.

Resurrection's season premiere was decent. Its twist was obvious from the start, though. As was one of the returned, who was ruined by ads.

How to Get Away With Murder was great.

Looking forward to Stalker (looks creepy) and Supernatural.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom