• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

some poor soul bought my copy of digimon survive. in the end it only cost me £16 to play it and i played about 50% of the game. got 65% of my money back. paid £44.95 brand new and after fees/postage i got £29.26. thank goodness for nintendo titles holding their value well.

can't decide if i should go back to FFVII (og) or start something new and just chip away at VII.

Last edited:
I'm about to finish A Plague Tale: Innocence. I thought the first 60% was decent. It was very story/cinema heavy as I expected, but at least there was some gameplay. The last 40% is essentially just alternating between cutscenes and walking around to have conversations with people, which is basically just a cutscene in disguise. Do not recommend.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Tried the demo of the cloud version of RE Village on the Switch. It was running surprisingly well. No lag or slowdown or latency. Loading times were excruciatingly long, but maybe it's just me being used to PS5. However, the one thing that really sucked is the length of the demo. It wasn't even 5 minutes of play. Compare that to Valkyrie Elysium demo which is several hours on PS5. If I'm gonna buy a full price cloud version I want at least try it out a couple of hours. Really scummy behavior from Capcom and Nintendo.

Last edited:
Got further into Alundra

Got through Bonaire's Dream and beaten the boss who was Bonaire's dream girl, Nadia ends up dying though.

The story hasn't made me cry

Bonaire was a idiot though, Nadia was a total babe lol

So far it's challenging but fair

Figuring out the enemies and Boss patterns have helped me out so far alot

Also Stocking up on health items help too

Last edited:
Got further into Alundra

Got through Bonaire's Dream and beaten the boss who was Bonaire's dream girl, Nadia ends up dying though.

The story hasn't made me cry

Bonaire was a idiot though, Nadia was a total babe lol
Bonaire is classic Working Designs translation. God bless them but also thank god they aren't around anymore lol

I got halfway through Muv-Luv Alternative and had to put it down.

The #1 problem this has is with pacing. The scenario itself is interesting enough but every compelling part is sandwiched by a few hours of circular monologues and dialogues... the writers can't just introduce a dilemma for the main character, nor can they omit unimportant details in a scene; instead, they repeat the same key points over and over again, they have conversations that go nowhere but last fucking forever, seemingly in the interest of making sure the player 'gets' what the writer is trying to say. All of this repetitive noise trains the reader to skim aggressively, and also bores them to tears, so by the time you do get to an impactful scene you're not in a state to immediately understand what is happening... the event drips into your consciousness and thus loses its immediate impact.

In general there's a problem with over-verbosity. At some point in the story there's a training mission, you get a lengthy briefing of the three rounds of the event and their rules, but only the final round is portrayed— why even have the first two rounds and why then describe them? It doesn't make any sense. That entire scene could have been cut in its entirety. The novel is drowning in superfluous text like this.

We also have the usual sci-fi folly of abusing a scientist character to justify events using hokey pseudoscience and wildly speculative reasoning that goes far beyond what could be reasonably inferred. It doesn't help that she's the worst character in the story. Fuck Yuuko.

Takeru is also a particularly unlikeable protagonist and his writing is completely inconsistent. At times he's extremely perceptive, and at other times he seems mentally-challenged and misses the most obvious of hints. He'll find his convictions in one scene and then turn into a feeble, pathetic character in the next... they do this intentionally at one point but it happens unintentionally too, over and over again. Besides all this, he spends an inordinate amount of whining, and because this game is written how it is, this means thousands of lines of Takeru going "Noo! Fuck!! How... could this happen..." "Nrrghhh!!! If only I hadn't... no..." and the like.

Also, seriously, can we ban VN writers from doing lengthy monologues of the main character speculating on a scene that just happened? STOP! The reader speculates on this stuff on their own! They don't need the character to speculate for them! Jesus Christ!

edit: I just read spoilers and apparently I'm very close to a completely inexplicable TENTACLE RAPE SCENE so maybe I'll read more. You know, "for the lulz" and that

Otherwise I've been playing more Freedom Planet 2 and I started on the Mighty Gunvolt games. They're sort of a weird 8-bit Megaman-style demake/crossover of Gunvolt, Galgun and Mighty No 9... the first one seems pretty basic, the second one seems better but I'm not sure how I feel about the burst mechanic. A Megaman-style game where the gimmick is that you have to stand very close to the enemies when you land the killing shot seems on its face like an extremely bad idea to me. I guess I'll find out whenever I feel like playing it through.

Last edited:
Overwatch - I can't seem to stop playing it.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Epic Games gave it away a week or two ago, it's a nice reason to replay that game again.
Factorio - :)

Markio128

Gold Member
Ass Creed Origins. I don’t know what it is about this one, but it just plays better than the latest games in the series. There’s a nice weighty feel to the main character and Egypt is pretty fun to explore.

BabyYoda

Banned
Just finished Titanfall 2, short but sweet, but not as good as some had me believe (still way better than Halo Infinite's campaign though).

Playing Tinykin now, what an absolutely delightful game!

Last edited:

M1987

Elden ring.I just can't beat Malenia's waterfowl dance,so I moved on,used the mimic tear on the 2nd phase of the Beast clergyman/Maliketh fight because a shield doesn't work,and now I'm fighting Godfrey and learning his moveset

Batiman

Banned
Bit of fifa

Like a dragon

Gonna start death loop

Loving like a dragon but man is there a lot of dialogue and cutscenes. Half the time I turn it on I just end up watching a few cutscenes without even actually “playing” anything. It’s chill though and plan to see it to the end.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Finished Persona 5 Strikers last night. It is a full on sequel and it is surprising how close to a P5 it is and I thought corners regarding the story but nope. It is great but last dungeon felt the game dragged. Missing links was a shame but no days restrictions and close save points was the right way as I move in and out of dungeons without worrying of losing hours of progress.

Next on the list but I don’t know which to start:
-Nier R
-Nier A
-Deathloop
-TLoU2
-T o Arise
-DQ11 S

Last edited:
Elden Ring again. The first time around I had so many issues with it and I strongly felt that it outstayed its welcome for the final 30% of the game.

I returned to mess around with a different build and suddenly I'm 90 hours in and on the final stretch. It's been far more enjoyable this time around because although I tried to take my time initially, I now realise I was rushing through it manically the first go over (I have no idea why).

I've also started another character built around just two weapons and a shield, which means 70% of the map unnecessary. This is something I had a problem with before but now I find it freeing and quite... authentic? It makes the open world feel more real - a living, breathing place that I'm not 'clearing' but making use of in the way I see fit.

There are still loads of problems but the moment-to-moment gameplay it just so satisfying. Especially at lower levels, where fights with mobs can be quite grueling and epic.

It went from my least favourite of the Souls games to just under Dark Souls 1, which is still the best imo.

I also started a new game of Cyberpunk after watching the anime. I completed the original with 100% on the base PS4 and still managed to enjoy it lol. It's so much better on my Series X.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Beat Mega Man 1 and 2 from the Legacy Collection on Switch. Played the shit out of these two as a kid and while I mostly got the movement and enemy encounters still in my backbone, I tend to use rewind and save states to get the job done. It's the consequences of getting old and sucking at video games.

I love these retro collections that comes out left and right. Trying to acquire them all because I love these old games I grew up with. Mega man, Blaster Master, Turtles, Castlevania, Duck Tales, all the classics in the palm of my hand. Soon I've gathered all the NES games I owned as a kid, just need a couple of more re-releases and it's done.

Really like reading your thoughts on Alundra. One of my all time favorite games.

Got past The Desert of Despair

There's one platforming section that is TOUGH

Reached the Ancient Shrine

Almost to the end of that and let me just say I had to exit the Dungeon after I beat the guardian and restock all my health items. I went back having to do that HARD platforming section to access the Ancient Shrine

Which took me not as much time as it did before. Now I'm at the last puzzle room which is a maze and there are holes I have to jump over. Not to mention there are switches I have to hit and the cubes blocking my entrance go up but they go down again after a Time limit. I got to the 4th section of the maze multiple times but keep on falling in the pit. I'll play it Tommorow, too tired right now lol

Last edited:

Corian33

Switching between Escape From Tarkov and Lego Star Wars Skywalker Saga.

Tarkov I’m playing with a couple of buddies which makes for a much better experience than rolling solo. Getting into the occasional PvP battle is intense and fun even if you die. No better thrill than taking someone down and stealing their sweet gear.

Skywalker Saga is basically the opposite. Chill experience slowly gathering all the thousands of collectibles. Loving the polished gameplay and humor. So many great lines from creators who are Star Wars fans themselves. Most memorably, Count Dooku saying “Almost lost my head over there!” after respawning, and a Strormtrooper saying “Why don’t we just blow them up or something?” during the space “chase” of The Last Jedi.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Just wrapped up Far Cry 6, which I had a great time with. If you’re not tired of the formula, you’ll have a good time with it.

Started Industria last night. Interestingly enough I’m not nearly as engaged with it as I was Far Cry 6. At least not yet.
Dealt with a couple small puzzles, and robots are sorta eh to fight. I can’t quite figure out how to kill a robot with my axe, without taking a damage as well. Your character moves so damn slow and lacks any sort of dodge.

AndrewRyan

About 10 hours into Horizon Zero Dawn and having mixed feelings about continuing.

The combat is what's so engaging. Love how they vary the group composition so you must be strategic deciding the order and components to go after. The stealth and choosing how you disable their communication is pretty cool. Also like the strategy involved with taking down the larger creatures.

Enjoy all the weapon types like the rope caster, different arrow types, slowing down time to aim at specific parts. All this stuff works really well!

Maneuvering and melee combat feels janky and wish it were more fluid. Wish it were easier to track enemies outside your field of view. Am tired of the constant harvesting and traversing. The story is very well acted but the mystery and moral outrage against such obviously unjust systems is not particularly engaging.

Read some reviews of Horizon Zero West and looks like they improved the melee. Going to keep playing for now and fast travel more. Hoping my enjoyment will improve as everything gets upgraded but keeping my eyes open for a sale on Zero West.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Tried the Star Ocean demo and I did *not* like it.

I'm actually looking more forward to Valkyrie Elysium compared to that.

Weird, I know.

Laptop1991

Done some Valhalla, and did the Tombs of the Fallen, which i found out is incomplete, and marked off a few achievement's, the game could do with the new game plus mode now, i'm not restarting until then, and i haven't bought Dawn of Ragnorak yet until it's cheaper.

EruditeHobo

Lately I'm trying to convince myself Breath of the Wild isn't broken, and I should like it a lot more than I do. It's not working.

Going to move on to Monkey Island pretty soon, excited for that for sure.

Started Industria last night. Interestingly enough I’m not nearly as engaged with it as I was Far Cry 6. At least not yet.
Dealt with a couple small puzzles, and robots are sorta eh to fight. I can’t quite figure out how to kill a robot with my axe, without taking a damage as well. Your character moves so damn slow and lacks any sort of dodge.
Industria isn't really good as a game, it's more of an asset tour with neat raytracing effects. I liked it personally because I have a soft spot for that sort of thing but it's very much something you get for a couple of pounds/euros/dollars and play because there's nothing better right now

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Still going through Stranger of Paradise. Game is 100% pure gameplay joy.

Also started Ion Fury. Got blown away by how cool this game is. Loving the gameplay, reminds me a lot of Blood because you have to be very quick dispatching those hit scan (or almost hit scan?) fuckers you have as enemies. The music is also great.

I'm not finding many secrets tho. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Guess I could go at a slower pace but man, between the action and the music I just can't.

Oh, and I'm playing on hard. Had a bit of trouble at the start with the lack of ammo, but a few levels in it's fine. Enemies blow you away quite easily if you make a mistake but it's also not too hard to avoid them so far. Having tons of fun.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
First played Resident Evil Directors Cut on PS5 but it wasn't fun when you could rewind and save everywhere so I switched to OG version on PS1. This feels much better and amps up the stake a bit. I also fucked up my playthrough and got the bad ending, without blowing up the mansion and killing Tyrant, so gonna have another shot at it.

Alundra

Finally got through the Ancient Shrine

That final Puzzle Room was something to say the least

I ended up having to do a Test of Strength at the end where I had to defeat all of these enemies which turned out to be easy since I just spammed the hell out of my magic spell and had an magic elixir to fully replenish my MP

I ended up getting a Sword, Life Vessel, and Long Boots

I'm currently at 19 HP
I have 16 Falcons

I managed to get the Sluice key and did the switch puzzle that opens that minigame

Went to the minigame area where there's 9 tiles and I have to walk/run to each lighted tiles and I have to do it 5 times for each seal. I gave up on the 5th time. That timing was just too fast for me. I know it's optional so not gonna try again

I'm about 18 hours in

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Playing Symphony of the Night on PS4 from Requiem collection. Such a legendary game. Played through it numerous times over the year, one of my all time favorites, but thought it would be fun doing it with trophies this time. But it seems they have recorded new voice overs. Didn't hear the classic "miserable pile of secrets". Have no idea why they did that. It's part of the charm. Oh well, I have the original on PSX so it's not a deal breaker.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I was gonna wait for Deathloop before starting something big, but then I accidentally downloaded Yakuza 0, and now I'm in too deep to stop. I haven't played any game in the series before, so I thought I'd try this one out as it's the first one chronologically, and I can already tell I'm gonna end up playing through the entire series (maybe not in one go though). It's a shame there are no remakes of 3-5 (I've read that they feel pretty dated next to 0 and the Kiwamis), but maybe that will happen eventually.

I'm not a massive fan of the combat (I've never really liked beat-em-ups), but it's alright, and pretty much everything else is great. Great story that manages to be dark and serious and completely silly and outrageous all at once, great world building with so much detail (although the visuals are technically pretty poor for a PS4 game), a ridiculous variety of side activities, etc.

I doubt I will finish everything 100% (I just can't wrap my head around fucking Mahjong), but I'll be spending many hours in this world for sure.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Been playing the dragonball the breakers beta. It's a lot of fun despite not understanding how some of it works. It seems like a well coordinated group and proper load outs will be key as things move along. My only real beefs so far aside from the gacha system is that it seems impossible to save a teammate if the raider just camps the body and I'm not seeing much incentive for them to really do anything else. I also don't get the combat. I also don't like that the raider can just see you through walls apparently. Hiding just doesn't work at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom