• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Mortisfacio

Helldivers, WoW and Elden Ring. Hopping between the 3. The new battle royale released in WoW, despite being still WoW and years behind the trend (in typical Blizzard fashion) is actually a nice change of pace and decently fun. Enjoying my magic build in Elden Ring as well. First time ever doing a magic build in a From game.

Dazraell

Just finished Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II. The first two acts were great, but act 3 and 4 were weak and rushed

I've also started Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones, but admittedly most of playtime today I spent on fighting with setting up controls on Steam Deck. It works now though lol

bender

What time is it?
Played some Hell Divers 2 for the first time since the launch week. It was cool seeing mech suits but after a few level 9 wins, I got bored again.

Finished the final challenge in Balatro and after 155 hours, I think I'm done with the game for a while. I've got a few things left to unlock (Jokers) but I can't imagine going for all the trophies as you need Gold wins on every deck and to win with every Joker type in Gold difficulty which seems like too much of a chore.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
M2ONMGG.jpg

It's about to get lit.

Mr Hyde

Climbing Denadoro mountain in Chrono Trigger. Middle age time period. This game is so much better than Final Fantasy 6. Better story. Better cast of characters. Better art direction. Better combat system. Fairly non linear gameplay. The only thing better in FF6 is the music. Mitsuda is a great composer but not as great as Uematsu.

EDIT: It's better than Secret of Mana too. Probably the best 16-bit Jrpg that I can think of.

Last edited:

Alpha Male

As always, too many games and not enough time...here's what I'm playing this month:

Series X
Dragon's Dogma 2
Star Wars Battlefront Classic
Tomb Raider 3 Remastered
Forza Motorsport
Battlefield 2042
Halo Infinite multiplayer

Deck OLED
No Man's Sky
Age of Wonders 4
EA PGA Tour

Mr Hyde

Duke Nukem is fucking hilarious in Bulletstorm. The writers have been clever writing him in the game. His deadpan delivery and confusion about being in the game, something he complains about constantly, is really funny, especially when he scolds the other npcs for not saying his real name. It's even funnier when Duke tries to explain the plot and what's going on and the poor guy doesn't have a clue.

Killer8

Balatro - Amazing game and looking like probable GOTY material. Not been this addicted to a game in quite some time. I've sunk 20 hours into it already in a week and beaten it with the first five decks on white difficulty. Really ingenious how many paths you can take with building your deck, although the first few antes - and last few when you inevitably lose 9/10 times to the final blinds - can be pretty brutal. As soon as this hits mobile my train journeys are going to suck a lot less... A quick tip for beginners - flushes conquer all (some Reddit nerd did the math).

Persona 3 Reload - I last played Persona 3 Portable years ago when it came out so I remember next to nothing about it apart from the ear worm music (new version of Color Your Night is goated, i've just stopped and listened far too many times). Reload is pretty much as good as it gets for Persona. Around 10 hours in, i've gotten to the latest boss of the current set of Tartarus floors i'm on, but it's kind of kicking my ass right now. I'm in for the long haul with this one if How Long to Beat is anything to go by. As a side note, I like how none of the voice actor changes are pissing me off. Igor is a little worse, but still appropriate sounding enough. Chie's VO change in Persona 4 Golden was so bad that I refuse to play that version of the game.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - everyone is starting DD2 but here I am diving into the original for the first time proper (I played about 3 hours on PS+ back on PS3 but I can't remember anything about it). First step was getting a mod on PC for the true title screen music:

SYPHILIS 1 2 3!!!

Ninja Gaiden Black - started replaying because of the recent 20th anniversary. I still got my skills. I'm doing a chapter a day and so far Ayane has not chastised me for dying too much (by this point i'd have been offered to abandon the way of the ninja on the original Xbox). The game looks pristine in 4K on the Series X. If the Xbox business was to completely implode, I thank you Phil-sama for giving me the opportunity to experience the game in this way. 🙇‍♂️

Red Dead Redemption 2 - new playthrough on the Series X. I have just descended from the snowy mountains and setup camp in the outskirts of town. I'm playing the 1.00 version via a physical disc, which seems like the definitive way to play as per the recent thread on the matter. The attention to detail just blows my mind and it's still putting most 'next-gen' games to shame. GTAVI is going to set a new benchmark possibly into the PS6 gen (*once it gets its 8K remaster).

Tomb Raider 1-3 Remastered - I'm halfway through TR1. Aspyr have done a phenomenal job with this (which makes the state of the Star Wars Battlefront Collection confusing). You know, after all the moaning about how dated these games are, i'm not seeing it at all. Yes, there are tank controls, however the grid based platforming system is extremely well thought out. It really makes you feel like how in real life, you'd take a minute to gauge a jump before taking a run up.

It's only the combat that falls apart a bit when it comes to the controls, but that isn't really the focus of these old games. Most encounters are from a medium range distance anyway, killing whatever is attacking you before it even gets close. Back-flipping while shooting is pretty satisfying at least. A lot needs to be said about how great the remastering looks too. Tastefully done texturing, great new lighting, respects the original style and runs at 60fps, plus includes a Halo: Anniversary style toggle to see how it looked in the '90s at the touch of a button.

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
I've been playing through a number of Atari 5200 and 8-bit games in anticipation of the upcoming release of the Atari 400 Mini. I am really excited for this little unit, a scaled-down replica of the original Atari home computer that plays everything from the 8-bit lineup (5200, 400/800, XL, XE, even the 1MB expansion--hello, Space Harrier!), runs software via USB port, offers four controller ports, and offers a very solid and diverse library of 25 titles, including the legendary MULE and Seven Cities of Gold. Yay!

hemo memo

Gold Member
Finished Solar Ash and playing As Dusk Falls. Story is very slowly getting interesting. It’s 6 hours on HLTB, if it was any longer I would’ve dropped it.

Mr Hyde

Booted up Kane and Lynch. I don't really know why, probably because I wanted to see just how bad it is, and my God does it deliver on that front. It's shockingly bad. Poor gameplay mechanics with atrocious shooting and bad cover system . On top of that it's a technical mess with screen tearing and bad framerates that gives you headache. I usually have a lot of patience for mediocre games, I can see redeeming qualities and stick with it to the end, but Kane and Lynch is a lost cause. How the fuck did this game even got released? Must have been a clusterfuck behind the scenes.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just started a fantasy league of fake players in OOTP Baseball. Took me a while to figure out all the shit and there's so many menus screens and metrics everywhere. I did a draft and after picking my starting 15 players or so I let the cpu pick the rest. Won my first game!

Stratostar

Just finished replaying Metroid Dread and yeah, I'm never touching this game again. It's just not fun. Will be selling my copy and putting it towards a physical copy of Prime Remastered. (got it digitally the day it was announced.)

Tonight I'll be starting Dead Space 2 on PC in glorious 4K.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I cant stop playing Unicorn Overlord, god I love this game so much......it has same type of addiction I felt when I played Elden Ring because both infinite have possibility of builds you can do and they greatly rewards your exploration.

This definitely my GOTY.

Funny thing is 13 Sentinels also came out same year as FFVII Remake and Unicorn Overlord came out same year as FFVII Rebirth.

Missions are short, repetitve and very simple. Controls feel janky. I like the story though. It also is great for a 2006 game, don't get me wrong.
I don't think that is a fair criticism. You have different classes, jobs, kart races, bike races, and challenges that mix it up. Even regular missions can vary from stealth to racing, to a turret section, to a date, to breaking stuff under a time limit, to sabotaging, etc. It may not animate well by today's standards but I have never had trouble controlling anything and felt more in control than in something like Red Dead Redemption or Grand Theft Auto V. Manual aiming could be improved, but otherwise I would have a hard time finding any major issues.

Södy

I don't think that is a fair criticism. You have different classes, jobs, kart races, bike races, and challenges that mix it up. Even regular missions can vary from stealth to racing, to a turret section, to a date, to breaking stuff under a time limit, to sabotaging, etc. It may not animate well by today's standards but I have never had trouble controlling anything and felt more in control than in something like Red Dead Redemption or Grand Theft Auto V. Manual aiming could be improved, but otherwise I would have a hard time finding any major issues.
Atleast on PC I have a few issues rotating the camera while running. This combined with the manual aiming you mentioned make the controls feel janky for me. Running and driving otherwise feels fine.

I'm talking about the main missions and I still think they are too short and simple (while in later Rockstar Games they are too long to be fair) most of the time. Like I said, it was perfectly fine for 2006 standards but not nowadays.

The abstinence of auto save is also a thing which was ok in 2006 (memory cards) but isn't tofay.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Kane and Lynch was so bad I actually started questioning myself why I'm playing video games instead of doing something productive. Needed to get that abomination out of my system fast so I changed the game and booted up the Ascent. Now this game is awesome. Great atmosphere, music and art direction, really setting that Cyberpunk dystopian mood right off the bat. Combat is fast and hard hitting, explosions look great, set pieces look great, lots of customization and weapons variety. I think this game has the potential to be a real winner.

Last edited:
Atleast on PC I have a few issues rotating the camera while running. This combined with the manual aiming you mentioned make the controls feel janky for me. Running and driving otherwise feels fine.

I'm talking about the main missions and I still think they are too short and simple (while in later Rockstar Games they are too long to be fair) most of the time. Like I said, it was perfectly fine for 2006 standards but not nowadays.

The abstinence of auto save is also a thing which was ok in 2006 (memory cards) but isn't tofay.
I always manual save when given the choice, autosaving is unreliable and prone to failure. There are many missions that are long in the tooth past the halfway point in the game. You are also playing the worst version of the game. It is no surprise it plays poorly for you.

Mr Hyde

My god I love the Ascent. It's still early but it is so much fun. The game is dripping with atmosphere, you feel like a total badass just shooting up the place, collecting bountys and doing quests. I'm not very familiar with twin stick shooters so this game definitely felt like a breath of fresh air.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Just finished Bioshock Remastered. Never played it before (or any game in the series). Really ended up enjoying myself although I thought the first hour or two was a convoluted mess. Easy 8/10 on the true scale. Very fun and it only got better and better as the game progressed.

Might start Dragon’s Dogma Dark Arisen next.

King Dazzar

I need to stop playing chess online. I had/have a bad addiction with it for a while. Easing back from it now. Growing to hate something I've played all my life.

Just finished TLOUpt2 remastered. Superb.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Decisions, decisions.

gtwcKJO.jpg

Considering Dogma's launch performance, probably gonna play Ronin first. Hopefully DD2 gets patched in the coming days or so.

Top Bottom