• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Isa

I managed to finish the first Valis from the collection on Switch. I had been planning a run through the series for a while, started it up initially back in 2022 around May my last save said. For whatever reason I have a tendency with games to put them down and then go back almost years to the day which is odd I guess. I like to keep a save just to remind myself lol.

Anyway good game that is also bad. Reminds me of the Shockman games, and I can really see the faults of the PCEngine on display. I love the machine but man it really feels constrained compared to Genesis/Megadrive and Snes titles. Granted the music and Gfx+cutscenes can be stellar and make up for the often shallow and cheap gameplay. If it wasn't for the collection having save states and rewinds(that kind of suck honestly as the first rewind will only take you back to just before you got hit and probably about to die) I'd never see the ending. Still, onward and upward back in time to 89 with Valis 2.

Oh yeah, still dorking around in Mechwarrior 5 having fun doing missions, trying to build even better killing machines and searching for that Loader King mech.

BurningNad

I'm currently in between games right now... The last game I went through and completed was Lies of P... After that, I hopped around, revisiting FF7R and Elden Ring. Played a little bit of Smite last week and pretended I was going to get back into it seriously...

There's nothing in the horizon for me at the moment when it comes to new games. I think I'll be diving into some PS1 classics next. I never did play Silent Hill all the way through...

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Granblue Fantasy Relink isn’t as good as I expected it to be. It’s not bad, but it feels pretty generic. But I guess that’s the case for most JRPGs these days that aren’t big budget or rare meticulously crafted smaller indie projects. Not much exploring or the stuff I like to do in RPGs. Debating sticking with it or just moving in to Sea of Stars.

Granblue Fantasy Relink isn’t as good as I expected it to be. It’s not bad, but it feels pretty generic. But I guess that’s the case for most JRPGs these days that aren’t big budget or rare meticulously crafted smaller indie projects. Not much exploring or the stuff I like to do in RPGs. Debating sticking with it or just moving in to Sea of Stars.
I had fun just okaying through the story. I did a bunch of online quests afterwards, but it was pointless. It's more Monster Hunter than JRPG. It's a neat idea with some fun mechanics, but it is far FAR too easy and the campaign ends in the blink of an eye. IMHO, if you aren't already enjoying and can refund it, just move on.

Sea of Stars was a lot of fun! It fell victim to me essentially quitting PC gaming, though. I was probably halfway and enjoyed every minute of it. I should have bought it on Switch.

I'm currently playing Sand Land. I am in the back half of the game. It started off really fun (I even put Stellar Blade on hold for it), then started really dragging. I came close to just stopping after the first half. Then, I realized it was the drawn out battles and how weak my vehicles felt that was making it tedious. I turned difficulty to normal (been playing on hard this whole time) and now it is really fun again. I can actually use vehicles other than the tank without the battle taking forever or me dying instantly.

So, yeah, Sand Land... leave it on normal difficulty. It will seem easy, but that's fine. The combat seems to be more like an Ys game, where you can blitz through normal enemies but large enemies and bosses take some skill.

I'll still eventually gonna to get it and play it but I wish it followed the more traditional JRPG mold instead of the Monster Hunter Mold. I want to explore the town and world of that game freely. And it looks like there's only one town which is the hub

Last edited:
I really enjoyed Sea of Stars.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'll still eventually gonna to get it and play it but I wish it followed the more traditional JRPG mold instead of the Monster Hunter Mold. I want to explore the town and world of that game freely. And it looks like there's only one town which is the hub
Yep, only one town so far and the side quests are all super generic. Kill x number of monsters and report back or kill x monster and retrieve the item and report back/

Neolombax

Back into Diablo 4 with the new season, its been great. I quite like the changes made to itemization, and the buff to minions meant I have a chance to bring my original build to endgame. Before that it was getting back with Destiny 2 after a few months break. Excited for the next expansion, fingers crossed its a great epilogue to the saga.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
TGOocLw.png

Rodents Revenge

Simple but addicting game I used to play in the 90s as a kid.

Dazraell

I've been recently playing Immortals of Aveum, just started 5th level

I also got back to finishing GTA Liberty City Stories, I have about a third left

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Chipping away at FF7 Rebirth. Man this game is huge.

Also set up my PS Classic with some fan translations and finally properly playing Policenauts on it. I like it a lot, music and art is fantastic.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Still playing Zelda TP. The wolf parts are as boring as I remembered, but thankfully they are also quite linear and can be rushed. Aside from that, I'm really enjoying my replay. Just did the water temple, pretty cool dungeon.

Also, just bought Dungeon Siege for 1€. Was looking at the pcgamingwiki page to check how to tune it and it turns out the game has tons of community fixes, mods and other cool stuff like new maps and a whole conversion of Ultima V and VI? Fuck I love pc gaming.

Last edited:

Crayon

Still on astral blade. Usually, I can make a lot of time to play games. That was true right when the game dropped, thankfully. I got to pile the first twenty hours on really quick. This weekend, I only got 3 hours in and THAT felt like a treat. Lots of work. It'll pass.

Given the number of times I've owned Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) over the years you'd think I'd have completed the thing but I haven't. Saved in World 3. Playing on the switch undocked with the kinda cumbersome hori attachment.

Also slowly getting through the Peggle challenge mode challenges. I've watched balls bounce around on pegs 30 hours the last 10ish days...

Chipping away at FF7 Rebirth. Man this game is huge.

Also set up my PS Classic with some fan translations and finally properly playing Policenauts on it. I like it a lot, music and art is fantastic.

Every time I thought I was finished, the game expanded further. Incredible amount of content for fans, and impressive that they don't force it all on you if you just want to bulldoze your way through the main story. I think it was well done and really invoked the feeling of awe and adventure like the original.

Still playing Zelda TP. The wolf parts are as boring as I remembered, but thankfully they are also quite linear and can be rushed. Aside from that, I'm really enjoying my replay. Just did the water temple, pretty cool dungeon.

Also, just bought Dungeon Siege for 1€. Was looking at the pcgamingwiki page to check how to tune it and it turns out the game has tons of community fixes, mods and other cool stuff like new maps and a whole conversion of Ultima V and VI? Fuck I love pc gaming.

The next 4 dungeons are the best run any Zelda has ever had and the reason it's my second favorite Zelda game.

I had fun just okaying through the story. I did a bunch of online quests afterwards, but it was pointless. It's more Monster Hunter than JRPG. It's a neat idea with some fun mechanics, but it is far FAR too easy and the campaign ends in the blink of an eye. IMHO, if you aren't already enjoying and can refund it, just move on.

Sea of Stars was a lot of fun! It fell victim to me essentially quitting PC gaming, though. I was probably halfway and enjoyed every minute of it. I should have bought it on Switch.

I'm currently playing Sand Land. I am in the back half of the game. It started off really fun (I even put Stellar Blade on hold for it), then started really dragging. I came close to just stopping after the first half. Then, I realized it was the drawn out battles and how weak my vehicles felt that was making it tedious. I turned difficulty to normal (been playing on hard this whole time) and now it is really fun again. I can actually use vehicles other than the tank without the battle taking forever or me dying instantly.

So, yeah, Sand Land... leave it on normal difficulty. It will seem easy, but that's fine. The combat seems to be more like an Ys game, where you can blitz through normal enemies but large enemies and bosses take some skill.

Every single Japanese action/adventure/rpg is doing this thing where only the bosses have any challenge and standard enemies have none. I hate this trend. I can't think of one game in the last few years where regular enemies could occaisionally be challenging.

bender

What time is it?
I flew through Crysis Remastered on PS5. I've only played the original when it released way back when. I didn't care for it much then and this recent playthrough haven't improved my thoughts. This remastered version is buggy as I had to restart the final level to get a boss to spawn. The physics system is pretty comical as it seems everything is made of graham crackers. Your character also lacks weight and a lot of the weapons don't feel like they pack a proper punch. It's definitely what I like to call a Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions style of game. Nice visuals but mostly lacking in other areas. The suit powers and environment sizes do give you nice sandboxes to play around in though.

Roberts

Did 1000/1000 on Little Kitty, Big City and me and my daughter (a cat fanatic) had tons of fun. Banana achievement seems to be fucked, but we accidentally got it. Anyway, similar to another recent Gamepass game, Lil Gator, but this one's a bit more fun. A little side note: My daughter is 7 and she doesn't really have any knowledge of Tokyo other than watching me play Ghostwire Tokyo (RIP) and after playing LKBC for 5 minutes, she asks me:"Is this Tokyo?"

Anyway, back to Fallout 76 and Immortals of Avenum.

engstra

Got the platinum for Dave the Diver, loved the game but getting the final achievements of fully levelling up staff member and raising Gyaos meant just grinding and skipping days which wasn't too enjoyable. Kinda intrigued by the Godzilla DLC releasing soon though.

Now I'm onto Tunic, game's great. It can be frustrating to have to figure stuff out fully by yourself but when you do it feels good. Got 1 of the 3 keys atm.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I'm now an hour or two into Dino Crisis 2 and.... I don't really dig it...

Bit surprised myself as I kinda remenber liking it quite a lot. The combat is just super frustrating. The spawning raptors are ass and it's very irritating when you are trying to shoot some you don't see, walk a bit towards them to not loose the combo, then switch camera angle, new raptors spawn and attack you. And you have this shit even in small rooms. What the hell? And then actually managing to attack the Allosaurus sideways... with those controls.... Don't even want to mention the Pteradons, which you mostly don't even see.

My impression might change as I go on but man, at the time being this is just frustrating.

Last edited:

Forth

Neophyte
As much as I'm absolutely loving Destiny 2 and have been for the last month, the grind for certain things is really pissing me off.
I would really like to have the super black shader but the Shaxx and missions are not feasible for someone like me.
I guess this is the live service way of doing things and I'm better sticking to campaign and anything that's is fun to me and staying away from the grind.

GametimeUK

Just finished Mario Wonder. Amazing game and just what the 2D series needed. Every 2D Mario had its own identity until the NEW series held it captive for over a decade. This was a return to form and I'm blessed to have played it.

DCharlie

Banned
Ps5 : Dave The Diver, Rez (VR2), elden ring
Xbox : MLB The Show 24, Little Kitty Big City
Pc : Hades 2
Switch : just shapes and Beats (again)
Retro : Kicker

Jumping about a bit at the moment. Hades 2 and Dave mainly right now

GametimeUK

Ps5 : Dave The Diver, Rez (VR2), elden ring
Xbox : MLB The Show 24, Little Kitty Big City
Pc : Hades 2
Switch : just shapes and Beats (again)
Retro : Kicker

Jumping about a bit at the moment. Hades 2 and Dave mainly right now
What do you think of Rez on VR2? I'm not really sold on VR, but that game to me is absolute magic.

Just finished Mario Wonder. Amazing game and just what the 2D series needed. Every 2D Mario had its own identity until the NEW series held it captive for over a decade. This was a return to form and I'm blessed to have played it.

I can't believe the New games were even allowed to be a thing. The art style, the soundtrack, the gameplay itself - a complete mess. I know people love Iwata, but Nintendo was really lost during that whole era. Glad they've returned to form. Haven't played Wonder yet but I am excited for when it will be time, seems like such an acid trip of a Mario game.

reektann

Playing El Paso Elsewhere. The voice work and cinematography in the cut scenes put a lot of other games to shame. The actual gameplay is "pretty good" - I think arguably there are too many levels and you're sort of doing the same thing over and over, I sort of do that then can't wait for the next cut scene as I love the vibe. I think I'm near the end now so will likely finish off tonight.

Plays and feels really good on keyboard and mouse!

Last edited:
Playing El Paso Elsewhere. The voice work and cinemtography put a lot of other games to shame. The actual gameplay is "pretty good" - I think arguably there are too many levels and you're sort of doing the same thing over and over, I sort of do that then can't wait for the next cut scene as I love the vibe. I think I'm near the end now so will likely finish off tonight.

Plays and feels really good on keyboard and mouse!
I loved that game. I think you're only the 3rd person I've heard even talk about it.

Later levels got a little too ridiculous for me difficulty wise, so I turned the game speed down only on the last bit. It actually kind of enhanced the game for me. Felt like all the pills and damage he was taking were catching up.

reektann

I loved that game. I think you're only the 3rd person I've heard even talk about it.

Later levels got a little too ridiculous for me difficulty wise, so I turned the game speed down only on the last bit. It actually kind of enhanced the game for me. Felt like all the pills and damage he was taking were catching up.

I go heavy on slowing down time and headshotting with the pistols, if you mess up you can die pretty much instantly! Also kiting enemies backwards as much as I can at distance, its a unique game for sure.

Paltheos

I can't believe the New games were even allowed to be a thing. The art style, the soundtrack, the gameplay itself - a complete mess. I know people love Iwata, but Nintendo was really lost during that whole era. Glad they've returned to form. Haven't played Wonder yet but I am excited for when it will be time, seems like such an acid trip of a Mario game.

It's really good. Mario games had bored me for so long: Same old, same old with very little in the way of new variety or difficulty. Mario Wonder has plenty of both.

I enjoyed New Donk City in Odyssey, a small slice in a single game, for an exciting aesthetic and that's.... about it since I don't remember. I enjoyed most of Wonder.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Should wrap up Stellar Blade tonight or tomorrow
Should wrap up Hi Fi Rush tomorrow or Saturday
Paper Mario TTYD interspersed throughout

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Gooby please…. Everyone knows the true Elden Beast is the fucking lobster.

This video had me in legit tears laughing. These guys are brutal.

LOL oh man, Asmon bragging about killing a boss only to be ganked by two sniper lobsters. Hilarious stuff!

-----

I've been playing a lot of MLB The Show 24 via Gamepass. I've tried those games in the past some but never stuck with one, but I'm having a good time with the RTTS mode. Nothing like baseball to have amazing highs followed quickly by rage-inducing lows.

I've also been working on Hades, the first one. I never finished it despite owning it for a while now, and with the sequel hitting I figured it was high time to dig in.

Still working on Trails of Cold Steel I as well. Fantastic game.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Elden Ring

I double dipped and am not making my way through it again. I have 1000/1000 on the Series X version. Not sure if I’ll Platinum the PS5 version before the DLC next month.

Top Bottom