• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

PC gaming is so weird.

I have access to Fallout New Vegas on both PC and Xbox with game pass, the Xbox version is 60 FPS, and for me it seems to run a lot smoother there than on the PC.

Keep in mind I have a 1060 laptop with an i5 CPU and 16GB RAM, so it's not like I'm trying on a Pentium 3. However, even with 1080p and moderate settings (or any settings) the game has a lot of stutter and judder just moving the camera around. It just runs so bad.

Does it look terrible on Xbox or does it feel like a legitimate version? Everyone always says PC is the way to play which I'm sure it is but like, is it still the same experience or do the visuals just take you out of it on xbox?

I tried playing Dragon Age Origins on SX for example and it seems to me the PC is probably 10x better due to graphics and m+k ...feels like a diff game when I compare videos of it with PC ...

Quantum break after finishing Alan wake Remastered.
Enjoying it so far, but the motion blur is horrible and this game could definitely use a 60fps update.
But I guess at this point that's not going to happen.

I can't believe how companies like Remedy have such little respect for their console audience as to not patch a game of theirs that they know would play and look 10x better updated for new hardware...am I being entitled? No, I don't think a 60 fps update is too much to ask for. I'd even be willing to pay $10 for it.

This is one area where console gamers are being treated like shit still. MS and Sony should be behind this too, trying to catch up to PC in terms of BC. So many games are stuck at shitty resolutions and framerates yet we have consoles that can easily run them well ...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Does it look terrible on Xbox or does it feel like a legitimate version? Everyone always says PC is the way to play which I'm sure it is but like, is it still the same experience or do the visuals just take you out of it on xbox?

I tried playing Dragon Age Origins on SX for example and it seems to me the PC is probably 10x better due to graphics and m+k ...feels like a diff game when I compare videos of it with PC ...

It's an X360 game but just running at a very good frame rate, no resolution boosts like FO3 or Oblivion got so there's that.

I would like to be playing the PC version at 1440p too but it's just not working good for me at all.

OwPcSpJ.jpeg

UoofYYW.jpeg

H1OdGSf.jpeg

Ks149Kl.jpeg

Labolas

Wanted: Dead (PC)
Ngl, the core gameplay is fun as fuck and is a blast to play. Everything else is neither not as good or straight up bad. The loading in the game is pretty egregious as well.

Dr. Suchong

Wanted: Dead (PC)
Ngl, the core gameplay is fun as fuck and is a blast to play. Everything else is neither not as good or straight up bad. The loading in the game is pretty egregious as well.
I'm going to grab this (physical) on Ps5 when I can find it for under a tenner.
Has that wonderful B-tier, Ps3/360 aesthetic that I miss these days.

ryu4

Neo Member
Replaying OG Deus Ex on my new ultra wide monitor. Ultra wide gaming is a pain in the ass if you play a lot of old games so you'll spend 5-20 minutes configuring .ini files and maybe install a mod but once you get it working it's peak gaming experience

Last edited:
Splatoon 3. This game deserves more of my attention, it’s really good but the skill level is stupidly high.
This series was ruined by the Switch Online paywall. Splatoon 2 was a ton of fun, with a varied playerbase. You had the hardcore and the newbs. When Nintendo shut down the free online, I saw the difference almost immediately. All the casual players disappeared.

After two sequels and gated online access, all you have left are the most devoted of the hardcore. The series went from an awesome gateway game for casual players to the worst possible choice for newbies.

I can’t believe Nintendo fragmented the playerbase all for a measly $20 a year. I blame Smash Bros. I sincerely believe that is the game that gave them this awful incentive.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This series was ruined by the Switch Online paywall. Splatoon 2 was a ton of fun, with a varied playerbase. You had the hardcore and the newbs. When Nintendo shut down the free online, I saw the difference almost immediately. All the casual players disappeared.

After two sequels and gated online access, all you have left are the most devoted of the hardcore. The series went from an awesome gateway game for casual players to the worst possible choice for newbies.

I can’t believe Nintendo fragmented the playerbase all for a measly $20 a year. I blame Smash Bros. I sincerely believe that is the game that gave them this awful incentive.
I'm all about Splatoon but I do think 3 is probably the worst of the 3 in some ways. The maps are all open and wide, not as memorable or varied as in 1 and 2. I also really dislike how you need a win streak to get tickets to get new guns instead of just using money. Other than those small gripes, it's still pretty great. And yeah, the $20 fee is literally just my Splatoon tax.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Not started it tonight as I’m tired after work but going to start Pokémon Black (or White) tomorrow night via 3DS for the first time ever.

Buggy Loop

It's an X360 game but just running at a very good frame rate, no resolution boosts like FO3 or Oblivion got so there's that.

I would like to be playing the PC version at 1440p too but it's just not working good for me at all.

OwPcSpJ.jpeg

UoofYYW.jpeg

H1OdGSf.jpeg

Ks149Kl.jpeg

I followed this site to the LETTER

All 12 tabs from introduction VNVE Finish, in order. 109 mods total.

Instructions are very important, because otherwise you can get really lost in modding from Nexus. Mod manager 2 is a god send too. Game has to be installed on a non program files folder from windows though, like i said, all instructions are important. It'll be broken otherwise.

Mr Hyde

Played a good hour of Eiyuden Chronicles and so far it's Suikoden in all but name. It feels like a new entry in the franchise, true to its roots. Graphics are great, combat is just the way you remembered it and the music has a classic jrpg-vibe to it. The voice acting was atrocious so I turned it off, but that just makes the game feel even more nostalgic and in line with the original games. The first hour of the story feels like the first hours of the first two games, sending you and your buddies off on a mission for the Empire, that ultimately goes horribly wrong and changes the fate of the characters. I hope the game has the same emotional resonance and story beats as 1 & 2. You can tell the game is made with the original players from Suikoden. Can't wait to dive further in.

I finally got around to doing the special ending for Them and Us (third person perspective this time). I have to say that while mechanically sound in third person, the game really shines in fixed camera perspective with the PS1 filter.
3oYeevW.png

Sons of the Forrest on pc. Was instantly hooked on the first one when I found out about these games. Second one is an improved continuation. Modern cave dwelling survival, run for cannibals, untill you get a proper axe, horror. 9/10.

OuterLimits

Unicorn Overlord. Such a damn good game and it actually runs really well on Switch. Something that doesn't happen much from 3rd parties in the year of our lord 2024. Have been impressed with the strategy revival the last couple years, especially on Switch.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’ve been playing:
- Tomb Raider collection
-Ninja Gaiden 1&2
-Buckshot Roulette
-Dragons Dogma 2
-Balataro

The most played is ninja gaiden games.

Planning to start up this weekend:
-Sandland
-Stellar Blade
-Eiyuden

amigastar

Ks149Kl.jpeg
Lol at this shot, it looks like a Tourist photo of the the leaning tower of Pisa or niagara falls or some kind.:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

killatopak

SRW30 and Tale of Two Wastelands mod for Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Slowly threading my way through Super Expert+ mode. If the stages gets too tedious I jump into Fallout for a break.

Dunno if I’ll play but Mihoyo will soon release ZZZ so I’ll probably take a jump there once it does. Stellar Blade as well if time permits.

I just finished Disney Illusion Island. Earlier in this thread I was very down on it after playing a few hours but then the challenge went from nonexistent to interesting pretty fast. Clocked in at 9 hours.

*gulp* Hollow Knight is up next. I'm kinda intimidated by its length:
that's what she said

freemandos

Neo Member
I played Ninja Gaiden Sigma (with the Black mod, wich restores some things of the previous edition). I never played this game before and, yes, I get about fans liking Black Edition more. Rachel levels are not very good (they're short though) and, uh, too much loading? But besides of that...wow, what an amazing game. Its fame isn't exaggerated in the slighest. Combat, mobility and enemy AI are surprisingly great even today and its a VERY difficult game...and not less satisfying. It takes the dmc formula and works in a very unique way. Yeah, it's considered as one of the best 'spectacle fighters' for very good reasons, I agree.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
How is it? Got this one sitting on the backlog.
It’s fucking nuts, lol. The story is out there. The combat is fun and challenging. The exploring while out of combat is kind of sucky.

I could see it being a solid 7 or 8, back in the day.

I’m actually really playing it on my iPhone via the Delta emulator app.

I use a backbone controller, but took this screenshot to show you it in the emulator.

GMBrMisacAQNkuE

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Finished The Ascent. I was very impressed by this game, it quickly established itself as one of my fav games this gen. I usually don't play twin stick shooters so this was almost a completely fresh experience. The cyberpunk setting was awesome, the graphics very detailed and impressive (the isometric/top down perspective makes it look really cool), tight combat and controls with loads of cool weapons and a banging soundtrack. Only downside was long loading times between fast travel. That shouldn't be a thing playing on PS5. Other than this the game is a certified banger. Highly recommend.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Very early still in Eiyuden Chronicles. Arrived at Abandoned mines on my second mission as captain of the Watch. It really feels like a next gen Suikoden. The sprite works and character animation is phenomenal. This is a game that will stand the test of time, just like it's 2D predecessors. Eiyuden has the quality and charm of the magical era of 16 and 32 bit Jrpgs. Very very good so far.

XXL

Took you long enough, lol. But yeah GTA IV is great.
GTA IV is great, I've been playing that recently on Steam.

I've also been playing Max Payne 3 (on Steam), which is no joke phenomenal and probably the best 3rd person shooter of all time.

I've also been playing a bit of Assassins Creed Unity (on Steam).

I highly recommend all of these games on PC.

Assassins Creed Unity really surprised me..... it's much more impressive than any other recent AC game (by alot), you can tell they were actually fucking trying.

amigastar

GTA IV is great, I've been playing that recently on Steam.

I've also been playing Max Payne 3 (on Steam), which is no joke phenomenal and probably the best 3rd person shooter of all time.

I've also been playing a bit of Assassins Creed Unity (on Steam).

I highly recommend all of these games on PC.

Assassins Creed Unity really surprised me..... it's much more impressive than any other recent AC game (by alot), you can tell they were actually fucking trying.
I love Max Payne 3. It's a worthy successor to Max Payne 2 even if it's not made by Remedy, Rockstar did an amazing job.

Mr Hyde

Finished Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare. Pretty mediocre. Story barely made sense. Monsters were boring to fight. Exploring the island and the mansion was pretty good, I'll give it that. Had some mystery to it. But overall, it's a sub par clone of Resident Evil, which I felt Alone in the Dark always to be. It never had any originality.

Top Bottom