• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game/s did you change your mind on? (for the better or worse)

Mondai

Playing through Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate has been very eye opening for, I thought I could never go back to old style MH so when I started to play I thought I was going to drop it after a few hours , but I think I like MHGU more than World/Rise. It just feels like a real hunting game and old school MH games probably have the most useful loading screens/divided areas in any game.

Hemingwayoffbase

Gold Member
I bounced off of Witcher 3 my first time playing it. The controls were like pushing a shopping cart and I knew nothing about the world.

I tried it again about a year later because of the hype. It’s now one of my favorites of all time. Man did I almost miss out big time.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Wind waker was a big name and was regularly featured in magazines, commercials and years later I changed my mind on that game it’s just a win for GameCube and the art style is so extra, the oceans feel big and there’s a lot of little things that make it great that I give Nintendo credit for doing.

WoJ

Zelda. And 3D Mario games. I hated Ocarina of time as a kid because it wasn't edgelord and "mature". I've come back around on Zelda recently in my 40s and have such an appreciation for the series. I need to spend more time with all I've missed the last 25 years.

3D Mario never clicked with me until I tried Super Mario Galaxy a couple years ago. That game changed my perspective on 3d Mario.

TES: Oblivion and Demon's Souls for the PS3 back in 2009. I bought both games at the same time and didn't like either of them at first. I was a kid though and blew all my money on these two games ($60 each) so I figured I'd give them a second chance, since I couldn't buy/play anything else.

I ended up loving both and sunk over 500+ hours in each. Part of my apprehension was that I was a JRPG thoroughbred at the time, so both games were a total departure from my norm. These two games probably helped me the most when it came to broadening my horizons.

kunonabi

Don't change my mind my much. Biggest one is Eyeshield 21 for the PS2. Thought the idea of a anime ccg/football game was funny but didn't find it particularly compelling. Came back to it later and actually learned the mechanics and it ended up my in top 10 favorite games of all time.

FF9 would probably be the other one. I remember liking it alot at the time, probably in part to how much I hated FFVII and FFVII but going back to the game is such a slog to get through.

If we're talking change of hearts mig game than the botw was biggest. Thought it was one of the biggest games ever at first but by the end of it I absolutely despised it.

Moonjt9

Skyrim. Started and stopped after a few hours multiple times. Finally sat my ass down and forced myself to play to completion. Ended up getting the platinum trophy and loving every bit of the game.

StueyDuck

The original arkham asylum game...

History looks back at that with revisionist rose tinted goggles. But up to release, it just was considered some cash grab lincesed batman game and didn't seem interesting at all.

No one expected the 10/10 we got

Dazraell

Arkham Knight at launch. There were a lot of things I disliked about it back then, but I recently replayed it and liked it much more than I thought I will. I'm still not a fan of forced batmobile sections, titular Arkham Knight reveal and Riddler's challenges which I found tedious, but game as a whole was solid and fun

R6Rider

Gold Member
Demon's Souls (and subsequently the Soulsbourne genre thereafter). I had originally gave up pretty early on in the game, years later (a month or two before Dark Souls 2 came out if I remember correctly) I gave it another shot and loved it.

Nier Automata. Got maybe half way through the game and just wasn't enjoying it too much. Gave it another shot a few years back, starting over from the start, and loved it.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Dragon's Dogma
The demo didn't click for me, and I didn't buy the game. When Dark Arisen released I took a chance on it (on sale I think), and it became one of my favourite games of the generation. Fantastic game, great fun, many hours spent on that.

sigmaZ

Like a Dragon
I've never really liked Yakuza games. I like the funny bits and stories, but I can't stand the way it controls and the way the fighting works. Feels too floaty and Segaish. lol Also I find the pacing unbearable at times.
When I started Like a Dragon I started to get the same vibes so I shelved it for a year or so and picked it back up on a whim.
Fortunately I was already a few hours in and the spot where I picked it up was where the pacing and gameplay picked up and I soon got addicted and ended up loving the whole experience. I wish more devs were better at nailing the opening hours of a game. With so many games out there, it's hard to suffer through a long prologue to decide if a game will ultimately vibe with you or not. I imagine the sequel will be better about this.

sigmaZ

I hated Final Fantasy VIII when I was younger, mostly because I didn't understand it. Now it is one of my top five games. I know how to break it completely, and I absolutely love it.
Funny. I didn't like it on release either. I ended up Gamesharking my way to the end because I found it so boring. Recently in preparation for FF16, I went and played through all the FFs just to refresh my takes and overview on the series and I found that while VIII with the remaster plays and is a lot quickly paced than the original, the horrible dialog quickly made me abandon ship. It feels like all the characters are super high on drugs and just randomly dialoging, even talking over each other often nonsensically. Some people find it endearing. I, however, do not. Still I like what they were going for with the gameplay. I would really like to see a remake because an updated draw system that's better realized in a more actiony combat system would be amazing.

Going through the old games I was actually surprised to find after playing FF10 in Japanese that the original dialogue in vibe is actually really good. The characters talk like real people and feel like actual friends. It's got a nice atmosphere. (Still hate the sphere grid and redundancy of battles though)

Laptop1991

The Witcher 3, although that was just because i didn't initially like the combat, i always wanted to play the game and once i got the hang of it i loved the game as i knew i would.

SOMA - first time playing I didn't give it much effort, got to a sneaking section and got bored and quit. Tried again 2 years later after people suggested it as similarities to Prey etc and I ended up marathoning it over night and gave me a new perspective on life. Recommend playing it blind if you havent tried it yet.

Hohenheim

Didn't enjoy Slay the Spire at first. Ended up somewhat obsessed. That game don't really start until you get all upgrades and learn every card.

Also took me three attempts to really get into Witcher 3. Completing Witcher 2 first did help.

gtabro

Death Stranding
Watched a lot of gameplay and reviews when it came out and I wasn't convinced. But then really wanted a PS5 and around 2021 the sellers in my country were sitll doing this piece of s**t practice of selling you the console as a non-official bundle with at least 3 games. DeStr was the cheapest so I chose with the intent of trying it and then off to ebay and similar sites. But then I kept playing. And then some more. And I changed my mind from "courier simulator" to "these treks are NOT LONG ENOUGHT I NEED MORE CHALLENGE". Not to mention discoveirng the story and the world Kojima and his team made, and thankfully pretty much everything is explained in a more or less sensical way (for a sci-fi world at least). Hoping DeStr 2 has actually longer and/or tougher deliveries or at least has those as side missions for some decent rewards.

Top Bottom