• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened to Sega's third-party support?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Last gen they hired...

Ah, forget it. I'm drunk and watching Ancient Aliens. What a shit show.

Sega was pretty damn good last gen. On PS3 they had published Bayonetta, Vanquish, Alpha Protocol, Condemned and Resonance of Fate. They developed 3 Yakuza games, Binary Domain, Sonic AllStars Racing and Valkyria Chronicles. These were all fantastic.

There was also garbage tier stuff they did like Sonic 06, Sonic Unleashed, Golden Axe, and all the movie licensed games (Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, etc.).

s-l300.jpg

This is one of my favorite gaming magazines and one of my favorite periods of gaming. I love you, Sega.

Mine too. I loved all those old EGM Dreamcast covers. That one, the 9,9,99 launch issue and the January 2000 "should you buy a Dreamcast or wait?" Issue. Still have all those in my collection too :)

120v

They're more of a run of the mill publisher these days. Nothing wrong with that I guess

I mean, would be nice to have the old talent still in house but that's just not how things panned out

Terrell

In response to MS buying Rare, Sega should have formed a strong second-party relationship with Nintendo. Keep the Sega fans support unified and have them flock to Nintendo consoles for that Sega goodness. Have the Sega titles offset time inbetween Nintendo titles. Why didn't this happen? Can it happen now? I feel like I'm writing videogame fan fiction

Putting their content on a single platform, regardless who made it, would have been a better idea.

Dreamcast was actually selling quite well at the time, all things considered, but Sega was forced to cut the Dreamcast short because they didn't have the money to keep the Dreamcast going after the mistakes of the past 2 generations costing them so much money. There was still a market for a single console for Sega content.

Instead, they spread it across all of hell's half-acre, fragmented their fanbase horribly and were never able to consolidate their software sales in any meaningful way. Then the Wii/PS3/360 generation started ramping up (which was not kind to any Japanese 3rd-party), Sammy meddled in their developer culture because they didn't meet sales expectations when they fragmented their userbase and bled out their talent, upper management pushed Sonic Team to rush development of the colossally boneheaded decision in the first place that was Sonic 06...

Every decision was horrid. Their only way out of this mess is the hope that the next generation of internal developers can bring about a new golden age, but Sammy doesn't seem even remotely interested in giving that a shot, so....

Sega's connection with Microsoft is really tight. Dreamcast was basically Xbox 0.5, and Xbox had a ton of Sega exclusives on it. Now Sega develops its biggest games for Windows.

You mis-remember that generation. EVERY platform had a ton of Sega exclusives. It was kind of their thing. And a stupid thing to do, at that.

Teknoman

Sega was pretty damn good last gen. On PS3 they had published Bayonetta, Vanquish, Alpha Protocol, Condemned and Resonance of Fate. They developed 3 Yakuza games, Binary Domain, Sonic AllStars Racing and Valkyria Chronicles. These were all fantastic.

There was also garbage tier stuff they did like Sonic 06, Sonic Unleashed, Golden Axe, and all the movie licensed games (Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, etc.).

Sonic Unleashed should be no where in the same tier as 06.

RedSwirl

Agreed with all of these responses, and I'm also going to add one myself--larger reliance over the Sonic series (a fair amount of the above are responsible for this).

Just compare the amount of releases of console Sonic titles over the sixth and seventh generations alone:

Sixth generation:
Adventure 1
Shuffle
Adventure 2
Heroes
Shadow the Hedgehog
Riders

Seventh generation:
Sonic 2006
Secret Rings
Unleashed (PS3/360 version)
Unleashed (Wii/PS2 version)*
Black Knight
Colors (Wii)
Generations (PS3/360/PC)
Sonic 4: Episode I*
Sonic 4: Episode II*
Riders: Zero Gravity
Free Riders

The above doesn't factor the handheld games (Advance/Rush series), re-releases (such as Adventure DX: Director's Cut), compilation titles (Mega Collection), or general crossovers (All-Stars Racing and the Mario & Sonic Olympic series) released during these generations either. And excluding Sonic Shuffle (developed by Hudson Soft), virtually all of the above games in the list are directly or indirectly (Sonic games with the * means the games are Dimps co-productions) produced by chief developer Sonic Team themselves.

Also worth noting that as the number of Sonic productions rose, the original titles by Sonic Team shrunk as well. Sixth generation Sonic Team produced Phantasy Star Online, Chu-Chu Rockett!!, Billy Hatcher, Samba de Amigo. Seventh-generation Sonic Team? All that came out was the NiGHTS sequel Journey of Dreams. There was the PS3 FPS Fifth Phantom Saga game they showcased in 2005 at E3 and TGS, but that was scrapped, with the existing mechanics being reportedly recycled for Silver's psychokinesis gameplay in Sonic 2006. And while Puyo Puyo titles haven't stopped flowing, they are rarely, if ever, released overseas.

It's undeniable that over the years, Sonic has for quite a while become both the first end of SEGA's profit mill (do anything with "Sonic" in it so that they can earn huge money) and the final end (let's gather money so that we can expand our brand via Sonic major releases or to use Sonic as our face for advertisement). It's a complicated situation.

Sonic is the closest thing Sega has to a mass-market property (unless you count Football Manager).

Mine too. I loved all those old EGM Dreamcast covers. That one, the 9,9,99 launch issue and the January 2000 "should you buy a Dreamcast or wait?" Issue. Still have all those in my collection too :)

I don't have the other two issues you mentioned but I loved EGM during that era. That is awesome you had those other Dreamcast cover story issues

Putting their content on a single platform, regardless who made it, would have been a better idea.

Dreamcast was actually selling quite well at the time, all things considered, but Sega was forced to cut the Dreamcast short because they didn't have the money to keep the Dreamcast going after the mistakes of the past 2 generations costing them so much money. There was still a market for a single console for Sega content.

Instead, they spread it across all of hell's half-acre, fragmented their fanbase horribly and were never able to consolidate their software sales in any meaningful way.

You mis-remember that generation. EVERY platform had a ton of Sega exclusives. It was kind of their thing. And a stupid thing to do, at that.

This is also a pretty good point.

GameCube became the to-go place for Sonic games, at least until Heroes made the series multiplatform. Other games like Billy Hatcher, the first two Super Monkey Ball games, the Skies of Arcadia port, and Phantasy Star Online: Epi. III could only be found here as well.

Xbox became an ill-fated exclusivity choice for many of Sega's remaining Dreamcast projects or their sequels. Gunvalkyrie, Jet Set Radio Future, Crazy Taxi III: High Roller, Shemnue II (Shemnue III notwithstanding...for the time being), and Panzer Dragoon Orta, among others, all started/continued and ended their franchises here.

PS2 had Space Channel 5: Part 2, the 2002 Shinobi game and its stealth sequel Nightshade, and the Virtua Fighter 4 console release.

And while a few of these games did get multiplatform ports, most of them remained console exclusives. These games couldn't all be found on one specific platform or were available on all three of them, they were instead scattered all over the place. It's a bit of a mess.

cireza

Current Sega has made the right decisions and became a safe company, that capitalizes on things that work well. Since they made those decisions, they have been in the green.

Their strategy seems to concentrate on successful franchises, make money, buy another developer, absorb it and apply the strategy to it, make money, buy another developer etc...

Of course, this is a good strategy to expand and have a safe business. Which is the best situation for them.

They also got rid of some of their business (Joypolis recently...).

However for the long time players and fans, this pretty much means that the days of crazy creativity (and let's be honest : with no one buying their games...) have ended.

I simply wonder how long they can focus on this strategy, because they will eventually dry up their franchises and sales will decline with time. They might have to bring some new games to the market at one point.

Launching new, ambitious games, has never been so complicated and risky than today.

So Sega fans should be very happy if one day a new Jet Set Radio game is announced, because that's not going to happen often.

Krejlooc

Banned
Dreamcast was actually selling quite well at the time, all things considered

No it wasn't. By the end, they literally could not even give them away. And i mean this in the most literal sense - Sega had a deal in place to literally give away dreamcasts with Sega.net and couldn't get rid of them.

Sonic is the closest thing Sega has to a mass-market property (unless you count Football Manager).

I'm aware of that, but surely there's a difference between using some IPs as a major brand while still supporting other IPs from their vault, and doubling down on it over the years like Sega has done? While it's not the best comparison (as the company is, without saying, in a far better position than Sega is or even ever has), Nintendo doesn't use just Mario as the only face of the company, even if his series is undeniably their biggest IP. They have and utilize Zelda, Pokemon, Miis, and Kirby among others.

I also may be stating the obvious here, but for what it's worth, it's not like most of the Sonic games that did come out during that era (or in the case of the Boom spinoff series, even today) turned out to be even good or bring in decent sales, despite the increased focus on the IP. It can be argued to have actually devalued the brand--Sonic's still iconic, but it's not for having good games or being Sega's showcase to Mario as it was the past; it's instead for having a slew of games that were absolute misfires and for being the gaming community's punching bag as a result.

And with Sega having relied on Sonic as their only (worldwide) face for so long, for many people of the general public, Sonic and what he represents is also used to represent the state of Sega as a whole, unfair and biased the view may be. It won't matter if Sega has put out some good games like the Yakuza series, Alien Isloation, or Football Manager in recent years; to them, Sonic is Sega, and if Sonic is still in a rut, then it's also true of Sega as a whole.

PantsuJo

They could port Orta, JSRF and Gunvalkyrie on PC easily (OG Xbox was a standard x86 PC) and I think Vanquish should be an easy port too (from 360).
Oh, and VF5 too.
Easy ports, easy money.

So fuck you Sega, I love you so much yet I hate you so much. Damn me.

Terrell

No it wasn't. By the end, they literally could not even give them away. And i mean this in the most literal sense - Sega had a deal in place to literally give away dreamcasts with Sega.net and couldn't get rid of them.

They sold 9 million of them. In a year and a half in the west and 2 and a half years in Japan. Now look at the GameCube, Xbox and especially the Wii U. Tell me again how poorly it was doing when up against the PS2, exactly.

I'm not a fool who thinks it was going to sell gangbusters, but it was on pace to sell at least as much as GameCube and Xbox did within the generation. Sega couldn't keep it going and remain solvent, though, as they were clearly in need of a bigger success than that to recover from Sega CD/32X/Saturn.

Also, the Sega.net plan was to boost software sales by removing the hardware purchase barrier and recover the lost hardware revenue in renewed Sega.net subscriptions, which you had to purchase for 2 years to get the free console anyways. And yeah, considering online gaming was, at the time, a very small part of the gaming population and people weren't interested in paying a subscription for 2 full years, no, the promotion didn't pan out.

You're misrepresenting the clear facts of the time. They weren't desperate because the Dreamcast wasn't selling, they were desperate because that wasn't enough to claw their way out of the hole they dug for themselves with everything that came before it.

Krejlooc

Banned
They sold 9 million of them. In a year and a half in the west and 2 and a half years in Japan.

With the vast, vast majority of the system sales coming in the first 6 months. When the Dreamcast launched, it was the fastest selling consumer electronics hardware ever.

6 months later, the demand had dried up. They literally couldn't give them away by the end. The sales you are citing had ground to a halt.

http://edition.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/asiapcf/east/01/23/sega.dreamcast/

You're misrepresenting the clear facts of the time.

Coming from the guy who thinks the dreamcast was selling well when they pulled the plug? Rich

Terrell

With the vast, vast majority of the system sales coming in the first 6 months. When the Dreamcast launched, it was the fastest selling consumer electronics hardware ever.

6 months later, the demand had dried up. They literally couldn't give them away by the end. The sales you are citing had ground to a halt.

http://edition.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/asiapcf/east/01/23/sega.dreamcast/

Coming from the guy who thinks the dreamcast was selling well when they pulled the plug? Rich

The article you provided doesn't state sales "ground to a halt" or "dried up", merely that sales were "flat", meaning there wasn't growth but a consistent plateau.

If you're going to be snide and condescending about me making comments about facts being misrepresented, perhaps you shouldn't continue to misrepresent them.

Celine

They sold 9 million of them. In a year and a half in the west and 2 and a half years in Japan. Now look at the GameCube, Xbox and especially the Wii U. Tell me again how poorly it was doing when up against the PS2, exactly.
Third fiscal year in the image below (ending March 2001) was the period when Sega slash back DC price further (to $150-$125) in an attempt to grow the install base to a level that the whole project would have been profitable on software and accessories.
Result? They shipped less DC than the previous year!

DC was from the beginning aggressively priced, it sold very well in US for the first three months but then sales faltered and began selling less than PS1 and N64 there.

Who think DC was doing well but was killed by Sega weak financial do not understand that Sega financials were damaged by the Dreamcast itself which wasn't doing as good as Sega expected to break even.

Krejlooc

Banned
The article you provided doesn't state sales "ground to a halt" or "dried up", merely that sales were "flat", meaning there wasn't growth but a consistent plateau.

If you're going to be snide and condescending about me making comments about facts being misrepresented, perhaps you shouldn't continue to misrepresent them.

Actually, the exact wording of the article is that sales were "poor."

It received another setback when giant U.S. retailer K-mart shunned the Dreamcast in August because of poor sales

This was also the very first result I got when I searched for "Dreamcast 2001 sales." Looking at the other results, they say similar things. It's a well known history for the dreamcast.

But surely since I've been misrepresenting facts, you should be able to provide some proof of your claims that it was selling well by the end of it's life. And no, citing LTD isn't proof of that, those are more like this:

Please, show me these awesome sales figures for the Dreamcast in its waning months.

Terrell

Third fiscal year in the image below (ending March 2001) was the period when Sega slash back DC price further in an attempt to grow the install base to a level that the whole project would have been profitable on software and accessories.
Result? They shipped less DC than the previous year!

DC was from the beginning aggressively priced, it sold very well in US for the first three months but then sales faltered and began selling less than PS1 and N64 there.

Who think DC was doing well but was killed by Sega weak financial do not understand that Sega financials were damaged by the Dreamcast itself which wasn't doing as good as Sega expected to break even.

That chart shows it consistently sold a respectable amount, with a drop-off in 2000, not exactly the total cratering it has been made out to be in this thread. Again, I never said that there was huge growth, but if left to sell in the market, it still could have coasted long enough and come close enough to any other console that wasn't the PS2 at the time for it to still have been as relevant as any of the others. It achieved 75% of Wii U's 4 years of sales in less than half the time, and almost ALL of Saturn's 5 years of sales. It was on track to exceed both of them, which I understand isn't the highest bar, but Dreamcast wasn't yet totally cratering in the market when the plug was pulled. This has been firmly established multiple times by multiple people: sales were less than ideal, but not the Xbox-in-Japan-level of sales that console warriors led people to believe at the time.

And I fully acknowledged that Sega had higher hopes for the console, they clearly wanted it to be a bigger success to help get them out of the trouble they were already in, but it was still a better success than everything that preceded it except the Genesis and could have sustained them temporarily were it not for those massive prior failures.

Actually, the exact wording of the article is that sales were "poor."

From a single retailer. Whereas the article mentions sales were "flat" overall.

This was also the very first result I got when I searched for "Dreamcast 2001 sales." Looking at the other results, they say similar things. It's a well known history for the dreamcast.

I remember it sold poorly when compared to the PS2. But, for those who remember the entire generation, nothing did well other than PS2. But Sega was the only one who didn't make it out the other end.

But surely since I've been misrepresenting facts, you should be able to provide some proof of your claims that it was selling well by the end of it's life. And no, citing LTD isn't proof of that, those are more like this:

Actually, more like the chart above, where sales in 2000 only dropped by 600,000 over 1999. Not quite the nosedive you've been peddling.

Please, show me these awesome sales figures for the Dreamcast in its waning months.

I didn't categorize sales as "awesome". That's on you. But they did indicate, much like Wii U did, that there were 9 million console owners who were willing to buy a singular platform for Sega's content. And their decision to split those 9 million people across 3 different consoles when they went 3rd-party was not a strong decision.

Celine

That chart shows it consistently sold a respectable amount, with a drop-off in 2000, not exactly the total cratering it has been made out to be in this thread. Again, I never said that there was huge growth, but if left to sell in the market, it still could have coasted long enough and come close enough to any other console that wasn't the PS2 at the time for it to still have been as relevant as any of the others. It achieved 75% of Wii U's 4 years of sales in less than half the time, and almost ALL of Saturn's 5 years of sales. It was on track to exceed both of them, which I understand isn't the highest bar, but Dreamcast wasn't yet totally cratering in the market when the plug was pulled. This has been firmly established multiple times by multiple people: sales were less than ideal, but not the Xbox-in-Japan-level of sales that console warriors led people to believe at the time.
You are dreaming.
DC had problems selling good enough with it's price slashed to $150/$125 and no competition from PS2 until a few months in late 2000 while Sega was losing heaps of money due to it and you think DC could have "coasted long enough"?
Think how much Sega would have lose and sales would have dwindle once PS2 began selling great and both Nintendo and Microsoft began spending big budgets for their next gen consoles.

Do you know why Nintendo didn't slash heavily the price of the WiiU?
Because Nintendo isn't crazy as was good ol' Sega.

Terrell

You are dreaming.
DC had problems selling good enough with it's price slashed to $150/$125 and no competition from PS2 until a few months in late 2000 while Sega was losing heaps of money due to it and you think DC could have "coasted long enough"?

Do you know why Nintendo didn't slash heavily the price of the WiiU?
Because Nintendo isn't crazy as was good ol' Sega.

GameCube, from the same era, says hi. How quickly did it fall to $99?

Again, meeting the same sales as the other also-rans of that generation, considering its sales by the end of those first 2 years, isn't some wild stretch of the imagination when we saw 2 other hardware makers coast for 5 years with similar flat/diminishing YOY console sales. Sega just ran out of money to allow it to coast, and that wasn't all on the Dreamcast.

Krejlooc

Banned
From a single retailer. Whereas the article mentions sales were "flat" overall.

You think it was only K-Mart that thought Sega had poor sales? LOL

I remember it sold poorly when compared to the PS2. But, for those who remember the entire generation, nothing did well other than PS2. But Sega was the only one who didn't make it out the other end.

By the time they pulled the plug, sales were so bad that it would have been selling worse than any console of the generation.

Actually, more like the chart above, where sales in 2000 only dropped by 600,000 over 1999. Not quite the nosedive you've been peddling.

And how exactly did sales in early 2001 do? Hint: They literally could not give them away. I keep saying this in the most literal way - Sega had a last minute, last ditch deal to try and save the dreamcast where they literally gave them away for free, and still couldn't get enough out there to make software sales profitable.

And dropping 600,000 in sales is an enormous drop. That is a 12% drop in sales just a year after it launched.

I didn't categorize sales as "awesome". That's on you.

Actually, you categorized sales as "well." Then backed off to "flat." Then "dipped." All without actual sales figures, I might add.

Celine

GameCube, from the same era, says hi. How quickly did it fall to $99?

Again, meeting the same sales as the other also-rans of that generation, considering its sales by the end of those first 2 years, isn't some wild stretch of the imagination when we saw 2 other hardware makers coast for 5 years with similar flat/diminishing YOY console sales.
Nintendo was in the black and DC shipped those units with virtually no next gen competition until late 2000 (while the rest of the pack launched in late 2001).

Can you see the differences?

DC vs GC US YTD (NPD rounded):

DC:
1^ year: 1.48M (first 3 months)
2^ year: 1.28M (yes, DC sales in the first full year were less than the launch months. DC was already declining in US.)
3^ + 4^ year: 1.02M (DC was basically dead and selling for far less than $100 the remaining stocks)

GC:
1^ year: 1.20M (first 3 months)
2^ year: 2.26M
3^ year: 3.27M
4^ year: 2.29M
5^ year: 1.56M

Krejlooc

Banned
Nintendo was in the black and DC shipped those units with virtually no next gen competition until late 2000 (while the rest of the pack launched in late 2001).

Can you see the differences?

DC vs GC US YTD:

DC:
1^ year: 1.48M (first 3 months)
2^ year: 1.28M (yes, DC sales in the first full year were less than the launch months, DC was already declining in US).
3^ + 4^ year: 1.02M (DC was basically dead and selling for far less than $100 the remaining stocks)

GC:
1^ year: 1.20M (first 3 months)
2^ year: 2.26M
3^: 3.27M
4^ year: 2.29M
5^ year: 1.56M

Not to mention that, when the GCN was an albatross around Nintendo's neck, they had the GBA doing gangbusters at the same time.

I'm aware of that, but surely there's a difference between using some IPs as a major brand while still supporting other IPs from their vault, and doubling down on it over the years like Sega has done? While it's not the best comparison (as the company is, without saying, in a far better position than Sega is or even ever has), Nintendo doesn't use just Mario as the only face of the company, even if his series is undeniably their biggest IP. They have and utilize Zelda, Pokemon, Miis, and Kirby among others.

The thing is, those secondary Nintendo franchises you mentioned are much, much more popular than any of SEGA's non-Sonic series, and they always have been.

That's really the truth about SEGA and their legacy franchises: It's just basically Sonic and a bunch of other smaller niche game series. In Nintendo's case, Zelda, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, etc can all stand equal footing with Mario, but there's a massive gulf in popular and recognition when it comes to Sonic and the rest of SEGA's legacy brands. It's sad, but its true.

Celine

Not to mention that, when the GCN was an albatross around Nintendo's neck, they had the GBA doing gangbusters at the same time.
And GC was launched at the break even which meant Nintendo didn't incurred in losses while selling a console.
The problem with GC was that it wasn't selling as well as planned and in 2003 Nintendo had to halt the production lines and later slash the price to $99.
Severely bitter experience for Nintendo because price wasn't GC problem thus it didn't had a lasting impact while impacting damaging Nintendo financial bottom line (still in the black but thanks to software sales and GBA HW sales).

Why Nintendo won’t go third party – Reader’s Feature

http://metro.co.uk/2013/05/18/why-nintendo-wont-go-third-party-readers-feature-3788332/

This is a good read and likely answers your question:

GameCentral Reader's Feature said:
The best way to demonstrate this is by looking at the closest analogue to this situation by summoning the ghost of Christmas past: Sega. Back when it was in the hardware business Sega had a roster of games such as Sonic, the Virtua series, and their racing games which could be relied upon to produce decent sales. However, they were also able to produce a regular supply of niche titles including Ecco The Dolphin, Gunstar Heroes, Comix Zone, Seaman, and so on.

These niche titles would have produced little (if any) profit but Sega were able to make these games due to their position as a hardware manufacturer. The main purpose of these games would have been to expand the library of games available on their consoles and thus encourage more people to buy the consoles, as well as make their consoles look more enticing to third party publishers to bring their games to them.

Another example of this is Shenmue. Although the gigantic cost of the games was one of the contributing factors to Sega’s downfall, they would never have even been made in the first place if Sega was not in the business of making hardware.

This also applies to the current console makers. Would Microsoft pump fortunes into making and marketing Kinect and Halo, or paying for Gears Of War and certain downloadable content exclusivity, if they didn’t make the Xbox line? Sony similarly spends huge sums on Gran Turismo and Uncharted for modest sales relative to their cost, and The Last Guardian would have been cancelled long ago if all that mattered were its profit margin.

So let’s imagine a scenario around 2006 where Nintendo exited all hardware production after the GameCube and Game Boy Advance to go third party. Firstly, all franchises which don’t have decent sales would be scrapped, meaning no Advance Wars, Sin And Punishment, Kid Icarus, or Fire Emblem (until Awakening the series had never been a big seller worldwide). Also, the biggest-selling single format game of the year so far, Luigi’s Mansion 2, would likely not exist given the lukewarm sales and reception of the first entry.

Secondly, there’d be no need to produce niche/experimental games to grow a console library, meaning no Xenoblade, Ouendan, Rhythm Heaven, or Pullblox. Plus, hardware showcases such as Wii Sports and Nintendogs would not exist.

Finally, there’d be no partnerships with publishers/developers to produce exclusive games, meaning no Professor Layton, The Last Story, Lego City Undercover, The Wonderful 101, and Bayonetta 2 – which Sega cancelled and was unsuccessfully pitched to various publishers before being picked up by Nintendo.

Bringing us to the modern day, that would mean a third party Nintendo would only be producing games for a select handful of franchises – namely Mario, Pokémon, and Zelda – whose quality would suffer due to requiring extra resources to make the games for multiple formats as well as reduced development times to meet budgets and deadlines.

I think you can guess which current games company this scenario most resembles. After Sega went third party we initially got sequels for Panzer Dragoon, Jet Set Radio, and Space Channel 5 but as they sold poorly those franchises have been sidelined. These days Sega is most widely known for the Aliens: Colonial Marines mess and 15 years of mediocre to middling Sonic games.

Celine

In US DC competed with PS2 just a few months then it was quickly discontinued (a bit longer in Japan but there the gulf was even wider)

US YTD in 2000 (first full year for DC)

GB/C: 6.84M
PS1: 3.25M
N64: 2.53M
DC: 1.28M
PS2: 1.10M (first 3 months)
NGP: 46K

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
They make Total War and own Atlus now.

They also make a lot of digital stuff that doesn't get a lot of play. They're definitely a smaller operation than they were in the PS2 era, as it just didn't make as much sense to keep all their studios open once they didn't have a console to support.

Pretty much this. Which is why it will also be a catastrophe if Nintendo ever decided to stop releasing their own hardware.

As many have stated, transition from 1st to 3rd party happened. Games by SEGA were platform exclusive stand out titles to sell hardware and also they sold well because of being on SEGAs own hardware. That was over. The first software rush on Xbox, GC, PS2 mainly consisted of Dreamcast ports and projects shifted from Dreamcast to other consoles (like Jet Set Radio Future, Super Monkey Ball, Gun Valkyrie, Toejam & Earl, Shinobi, all of which were planned for Dreamcast. There's even Dreamcast footage and playable early builds for some of them on the net). This is why the first impression might have been "all is still kind of fine".

I think their "darkest age" was between end of PS2-gen until late into last gen. Some of the people working for SEGA around that time even stated that the loss of identity through leaving the hardware business hurt team morale and lead to less creativity and quality. That, and Sammy merger which lead to a big restructuring and many high-ranking creatives leaving. This was also around the time when they got really strong on PC platforms through aquired teams instead while maintaining a cult following in Japan through Yakuza, Valkyria Chronicles, 7th Dragon and Hatsune Miku (Yakuza and Valkyria Chronicles hopefully at some time finally catches on with Western audiences; Hatsune Miku seems to do fine worldwide for what it is). Standout quality titles such as Binary Domain, House of the Dead Overkill, Rhythm Thief, contract games such as Alien: Isolation and Platinum Games series such as Bayonetta and Vanquish and of course high-quality re-releases of classics on consoles and 3DS stand out to fans, but seemingly didn't do so well on the market. Even Sonic got better again with,arguably and IMO, Colours and Generations (and then kind of crashed and burned a second time with a Boom). Some of those would have been all-time classics if released on SEGA hardware in an alternate reality :p

Nevertheless, I think the general idea is that it got better again over the last 2-3 years and as a SEGA fan(boy), I tend to agree. I have confidence in the direction the company is currently moving, with great original releases, throwbacks to old success titles and a mostly good eye for quality licensed games by Western studios. So yeah.

It probably would had paid off (better than expected) if Sega had treated the releases of their games better. Platinum Space, Vanquish, and Anarchy Reigns were essentially sent out to be buried. Bayonetta was probably the lone exception, and even then Nintendo had to swoop in to save the sequel when Sega canned it (though in fairness, that event happened around the time Sega posted a significant financial loss during the early 2010s).

Unfortunately titles like Vanquish and Bayonetta only speak to a very specific market. The only people I knew with consoles who played those games were people that were familiar with Platinum & liked that gamin style. They weren't, imo, the kind of mass market game that Sega could ride out a bit.

RedSwirl

I wonder how things would be different if EA hadn't done that deal with the NFL. Would Sega still be publishing all the 2k sports games?

Man I miss NFL 2k. Never really got into Madden after that.

This is also a pretty good point.

GameCube became the to-go place for Sonic games, at least until Heroes made the series multiplatform. Other games like Billy Hatcher, the first two Super Monkey Ball games, the Skies of Arcadia port, and Phantasy Star Online: Epi. III could only be found here as well.

Xbox became an ill-fated exclusivity choice for many of Sega's remaining Dreamcast projects or their sequels. Gunvalkyrie, Jet Set Radio Future, Crazy Taxi III: High Roller, Shemnue II (Shemnue III notwithstanding...for the time being), and Panzer Dragoon Orta, among others, all started/continued and ended their franchises here.

PS2 had Space Channel 5: Part 2, the 2002 Shinobi game and its stealth sequel Nightshade, and the Virtua Fighter 4 console release.

And while a few of these games did get multiplatform ports, most of them remained console exclusives. These games couldn't all be found on one specific platform or were available on all three of them, they were instead scattered all over the place. It's a bit of a mess.

What happened was Sega let each of its in-house studios develop for whatever system it wanted. Maybe a bit too much creative freedom.

Sonic Team went to the Gamecube, Amusement Vision also went to the Gamecube with Super Monkey Ball and F-Zero, Smilebit went to Xbox with Gunvalkyrie, Panzer Dragoon Orta, and JSRF, Overworks mostly went to the PS2 with Shinobi/Nightshade and the Skies port though the latter eventually just went to Gamecube, UGA went to PS2. AM2 kinda went multiplatform with VF4 on PS2, Beach Spikers on Gamecube, and Shenmue II on Xbox. Most of the Dreamcast ports went to all three.

I think Sega did have a particularly deep relationship with Microsoft though. In many ways the Dreamcast sort of was Xbox 0.5. It tried a lot of the same ideas as the Xbox, but before their time. Online of course, some of Windows CE was used for Dreamcast games, the Xbox controllers even inherited the Dreamcast's face button layout. I don't think that relationship played very much into Sega mostly publishing PC games today though. I just think Sega Europe grabbed those PC developers because it saw an opening in that market, not out of any loyalty to Microsoft.

The thing is, those secondary Nintendo franchises you mentioned are much, much more popular than any of SEGA's non-Sonic series, and they always have been.

That's really the truth about SEGA and their legacy franchises: It's just basically Sonic and a bunch of other smaller niche game series. In Nintendo's case, Zelda, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, etc can all stand equal footing with Mario, but there's a massive gulf in popular and recognition when it comes to Sonic and the rest of SEGA's legacy brands. It's sad, but its true.

Which is why I said it's not the best comparison beforehand. I can't think of an company in a position similar to Sega, yet has also chosen to fall back on multiple historic IPs for revenue, rather than placing all of their cards on just one like Sega has with Sonic. Capcom, maybe? I'm unsure.

Unfortunately titles like Vanquish and Bayonetta only speak to a very specific market. The only people I knew with consoles who played those games were people that were familiar with Platinum & liked that gamin style. They weren't, imo, the kind of mass market game that Sega could ride out a bit.

@MUWANdo's post (who I was replying to) wasn't talking about having those games aiming for mass-market appeal, though; they specifically talked about using those games to catering to a specific niche of original mid-tier games. They said it didn't pay off, I'm just pointing out that Sega's subpar treatment of those games played a huge role as to why that happened.

EmiPrime

They could port Orta, JSRF and Gunvalkyrie on PC easily (OG Xbox was a standard x86 PC) and I think Vanquish should be an easy port too (from 360).
Oh, and VF5 too.
Easy ports, easy money.

So fuck you Sega, I love you so much yet I hate you so much. Damn me.

None of those would be easy ports. The Xbox being x86 is barely relevant.

Aki-at

This is as much as I can recall of their current development capabilities.

SEGA Japan development team

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (2 teams at about 180 people) - Current project, Yakuza 6, releasing in Japan on the 8th December, maybe working on a new IP?
Sonic Team (Was 3 teams, not sure now) - Current projects, updating Phantasy Star Online 2 and working on Sonic the Hedgehog 2017
Further games being developed by their console teams, Puyo Puyo Chronicles and whatever the next Hatsune Miku game will be.
Sega Networks (200 people) - Mobile games
AM1: I'm not too sure but I think they work do the updates to Code of Joker and Wonderland Wars
AM2: Current projects, Ghost Squad update, KanColle updates and Soul Reverse

Atlus - No idea what major projects they've got after Persona 5.

SEGA Europe development team
Creative Assembly (3 teams at about 300 people) - Current projects are Halo Wars 2, unknown historical Total War project and Total Warhammer updates and expansion.
Sports Interactive - Just released Football Manager 2017
Amplitude - Recently aquired, currently developing Endless Space 2
Hardlight - mobile games
Unknown team making Daytona 3

SEGA America
Relic (2 teams) - Currently working on Dawn of War 3
Demiurge Studios - mobile games

There are other things SEGA owns, stuff like TMS Entertainment and Marza Animation Studio, but obviously none of that reflects on it's development manpower.

So they've expanded aggressively into the Western markets by purchasing several studios, but these aren't franchises that are traditionally associated with SEGA so most people often over look them. Their Japanese teams have merged into giant studios but only Sonic Team is somewhat relevant in the West.

IrishNinja

much of those teams has either been shuffled onto more viable franchises or shuttled altogether, but they still put out some greatness - i keep saying how their output last gen was easily their finest since the DC era.

still, when you drop out of hardware, you narrow down your teams. i hope nintendo never sees this day.

Sammy happened, basically. Once Sammy's hostile take over happened Sega's individual studio system that allowed creative freedom and fostered the creative genius seen in the Dreamcast and early post-Dreamcast era was annihilated via Sammy's merging and thus destruction of Sega's studios leading to the talent exodus and departure of major names i.e. Sega's creative driving force. That's essentially it in summary. Sega was never the same after that happened. I still love Sega as a die-hard Sega fan but even I'll admit they're a shadow of their former selves. Games like Sonic Mania remind me of their former glory and I'm very excited for it but what I'd give to rewind time and stop the Sammy take over from happening.

Jet Set Radio 3 would have been years ago had they kept Smilebit and the other studios alive. It's a shame but I guess business is business.

Shion

Sammy happened, but this quote gives me hope for the future.

"We did our best to build a relationship of mutual trust with older fans of Sega, but looking back, there've been some titles that have partially betrayed that [trust] in the past 10 years... Sega in the '90s was known for its brand, but after that, we've lost trust, and we were left with nothing but reputation. For this reason, we'd like to win back the customers' trust, and become a 'brand,' once again"

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-07-07-weve-lost-the-trust-of-older-fans-sega-ceo

Top Bottom