• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is a cheap way to "mod" PS2

Alias03

I need to be able to play Jap PS2 games (on a US PS2) and am not sure where to find something that will work. Could you guys help me out. They dont have a freeloader disc like Gamecube right? Any help would be great- Thanks

cvxfreak

Let me guess - you want to play Silent Hill 4?

Well, I hear there's a flip top solution for your PS2, plus a modchip and a boot disc but some of these including shipping, service and the chip itself might amount of quite a bit.

Buying a Japanese PS2 is a good solution. An alternate solution is a Korean PS2 which is a Japanese PS2 with a different voltage level (converter needed). But at Play-Asia.com they're pretty cheap.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I keep seeing Katamari Damacy over here for about or even less than $40, and I keep having to remind myself that I can't play imports.

Mairu

CVXFREAK said:
Well, I hear there's a flip top solution for your PS2, plus a modchip and a boot disc but some of these including shipping, service and the chip itself might amount of quite a bit.
...No

The point of a fliptop+bootdisc is so you don't have to put a modchip into your PS2. This costs far, FAR less than it would cost to buy a new JPN PS2.

The point of a fliptop+bootdisc is so you don't have to put a modchip into your PS2. This costs far, FAR less than it would cost to buy a new JPN PS2.

This is what I did on my plus model ps2 and love every moment of it yeah it voids teh warranty (but so does any kinda mod) and the good thing is if you evr need to clean the system the assembly is RIGHT THERE (ps 1 style)

shuri

Banned
Indeed, eliminating the region would save a lot of people a lot of troubles. But just get a real modchip, dont mess with those lame ass hardware tricks with cover switching and all that garbage. A modchip costs 50$. and you are done with it. Forever

I really have to question the tactic of territorial lock out nowadays. Now more than ever, import gaming really doesn't do much to hurt the companies.

Top Bottom