• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best deal you ever found on ebay or any other site?

Mr1999

I scored an amazing deal on an eBay that almost seems too good to believe. It's a niche item, and I doubt the seller knew much about its value or how it works. In the final minute of the auction, with no other bidders, I anticipated the price to increase by at least half of what its going for, but I ended up being the sole bidder. The seller shipped it out yesterday and I almost thought he was going to back out on the deal since it was taking longer than usual to ship it.

The retail price for the item, with the specific trim I got, is selling now for $1100, yet I managed to snag it for just $200. I've used eBay for years, I think this purchase sets a new record. Excited to share it once it arrives but don't want to mention it just yet, its a transmitter is all I will say for now. Has anyone else stumbled upon such incredible deals on eBay?

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
giphy.gif

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Not an ebay sale, but I did once trade an Xbox One for a Mr. Gold Lego figure, which is now worth somewhere between $5k-10k. Pretty good deal.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I bought a https://www.krellhifi.com/ Krell Receiver at cost because the guy that ran the audio store misquoted the price. He sold it to me at his cost instead of the retail price. This was Brick and mortar.

At the time retail was $2500 for the receiver, I paid $900.

Banjo64

cumsessed
My girlfriend snagged £300 of Switch games on Facebook market place for £20 or £30, I can’t remember which.

£300 was the value that I received selling them individually on eBay. House stank of weed when I rocked up to collect.

Quasicat

It wasn’t eBay, but I was able to get a $250 PSP at launch for $100. When I was in high school, I worked at a small store called Duckwall/Alco. Each year they would do a 60% off an any single item coupon in their flyer, but when I was there they didn’t sell video games. Several years later, after graduating from College, I saw the flyers with all of the coupons cut out. I talked to a buddy of mine and asked if they had any uncut flyers in the back and he got me one. It was really easy after that, they took $150 off the price and it was all good.

SirTerry-T

Got my Vita from Amazon Germany for about 50 quid during one of Amazon's "lightning deals", all because I happened to be browsing HotUKDeals at the right time :)

Papa_Wisdom

Panasonic q snagged it for like £200 and later sold it for around £700

Wish I’d kept it truth be told.

Also managed to get some Dreamcast japanese and u.s ntsc game’s on the cheap which have since doubled/tripled in price.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I got a Wii on release weekend for just under MSRP with free shipping because the seller who was trying to scalp it listed it in the wrong section. I was the only bidder and they honored the sale so I wouldn't leave bad feedback.

When the OLED Steam Deck was announced I got 4 different 512 GB LCD Decks in auctions for between $190 and $200 each. I kept one and I flipped the rest for a profit of just under $400.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've bought tons of stuff on eBay that I just assume was stolen. Most of it comes from California.

I almost always shop eBay by only looking at Buy It Now items, and sort by listed first. The people that want to make quick cash usually put their thing up for buy it now and super low.

Winter John

Gold Member
I got a Elektron Digitakt for 40 bucks. The listing said parts only so I bought it just to take it apart and tinker with it. When I checked it over there wasn't a thing wrong with it. I don't know if the dude sent me the wrong one or what, but I never heard from him.

No, but I bid on some WWF LJN figures as a kid and learned the valuable lesson of not bidding until the last moment. With five minutes left I saw the price increase every time I reloaded the page, like $50 which was a huge amount to me as a young teen. I always wondered if it was the seller with a shill account.

MrA

Banned
I got a mekki powered convoy (the diaclone ultra magnus is based on) in a lot with like 500 dollars worth of other figures (including a trainbot kaen variant) unbroken too, look really cool especially the blue optimus prime part

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I got a Hideo Kojima and Tetsuya Nomura autograph for like $100 in mint condition. I had it framed and it was from a once in a life time autograph session. It’s a prized possession, so I will never sell it.

Machine

Back in the early days of ebay I bought a lot of games. The best deal is probably the set of four factory sealed SNES games I bought for less than $100 (Super Mario World, Link to the Past, Sim City, and Super Castlevania IV). I eventually got them graded and then sold them through an auction site during the pandemic. Made over $10K from that little investment. I was expecting maybe $1K per game so that total shocked me.

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

My girlfriend snagged £300 of Switch games on Facebook market place for £20 or £30, I can’t remember which.

£300 was the value that I received selling them individually on eBay. House stank of weed when I rocked up to collect.
Dirty caants lol. CEX probably asked them for proof of address when trading in their smackhead theft haul.

Dural

Love ebay, buy shit all the time but the best deals I've gotten aren't from there.

In 2005 McDonald's and Best Buy did a promotion with the Monopoly game. I took advantage of the "no purchase necessary" and sent several hundred self addresses stamped envelopes. Ended up with ~$500 in Best Buy bucks (plus a bunch of free food) that could be used for purchases in store or online and all I paid for was the envelopes and my time (I also got a bunch of credit from stamps.com so didn't have to pay for the stamps). What was even better was that the codes for in store and online were different, so I could place an order online for in store pickup then use the same Best Buy Buck in store for purchases (essentially making the $500 worth $1000). I ended up getting a bunch of the 360 launch games for nothing and extra controllers. Also bought a bunch of DVDs and a microwave as ours died. It was great!

LordOfChaos

I just got a 2015 Macbook Pro 15" with the dedicated M370X graphics card, for an offer I put in of 255USD. I sold that same model without the GPU for 2150CAD in maybe 2019 lol.

16GB RAM, 512GB storage, 2GB GPU, if you go on Apple's website now and order a /brand new M3 Macbook Pro/ the base tier still has HALF that RAM, and I mean yeah Apple Silicon is amazingly more efficient and more powerful than those old chips but it's still a quite fast system that I can trivially patch the latest OS on, should be a pretty nice get so I can run an up to date local macOS and do some stuff there

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I had wanted a mixer for awhile. Prob is I live in Europe and KitchenAid are stupid expensive here. The bowl lifts are the equivalent of 1400$ if you factor in currency exchange.

So I had my eyes on a kenwood for awhile but the thing was 850 too much for just a hobby. There were sales from time to time at around 700-750. This being Amazon, no physical shop carried the model I wanted, only its smaller sibling.

I eventually snagged it for 520 first week of January.

lem0n

I found my GameBoy Micro at the local Goodwill for $2.50. I also bought a minty 5.0 Fox Body Mustang for $1500 once. Just needed a battery and tires. Sold it for almost $10k.

intbal

Got a Sony DSC-F828 in like-new condition with all the accessories for $40.
The same would cost you about $200 these days.

dan76

I've had a few off eBay. One was a complete working remote control Star Wars Sandcrawler by Kenner, that usually goes for stupid money, grabbed it for £120.

Got the Tomy handheld electronic game of Mr. Do! - called Mr.Go! - for £60 from France ( which is an amazing port of an arcade game. Crazy good considering how basic those games were in the 80's. It even has the between level cutscenes). I've seen it go for ten time that boxed.

A Sega Saturn HS-0130, the two player Astro City arcade stick for £200 boxed. There are still deals to be found. Sometimes it's down to weird naming, other times there just seems to be no one bidding.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I buy it 5 copies for ps3 of the game The Walking dead survival Instinct.

I bought the copies at 1 dollars each one (price system error) and I sold them in my country at 30 dollars, I kept a ''Free'' copy ( because my hobby is collecting videogames in many system) , the rest was gain.

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
Back in the day when I was a poor college student I “purchased” a GameCube at launch from my local Best Buy and they had a promotion going where if you signed up for some kind of MSN internet service they would give you $200 off your purchase that day. I signed up for it. Never activated anything, was never charged anything, and never heard anything about it again after that day, so free GameCube. As luck would have it a few years later I won a Wii in New Years Eve drawing at a party I went to.

Mr1999

It arrived. It's great so far, but a few things I encountered, there were 2x loose screws and washers rattling around inside the transmitter which I had to open up, but I can see why it was opened up in the first place, it has upgraded batteries so for a total of 12,000MAH. It came with an adapter, but it's not the correct adapter for this, barrel is not long enough either so I ordered a new one from Mikado which was $25. Everything else works fine, it binds ok. It also has simulator support through wifi which is nice bonus, heli-x detects it just fine. I thought there would be some delays over wifi but if you are close enough to the router it feels very similar to radio, although I should upgrade that next. Replacing a DX6. Upgrades left on this is even larger battery 14,000Mah, and CNC Gimbals, which i might or might not do.

DrRCXzz.jpg

HmRJVCs.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom