• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most you have ever spent on a single videogame?

sn00zer

I know there are some big collectors on here....so what is the most you have ever spent on a single videogame? (Cost of console doesnt count unless you needed an arcade cabinet or spent something extravagant for a rare console just to play that game)

Im boring, most Ive ever spent was $50 to get KH2/HL2 Day 1....havent spent more than 40 since.

Windforce

I think Diablo 2 and its LoD expansion.

I bought it a few times over the years because I broke the discs trying to quit it but I kept coming back. Well over $100 (maybe 200?) on D2 copies over these 13 years...

LevityNYC

Banned
Cat Helmet Halo 3.

Also, Chrono Trigger was $79.99 in the USA upon release.

Worth every penny.

Wasn't Virtua Racing for Genesis like $100?

linkboy

255px-Suikoden2_NA.jpg

$80 store credit and it was totally worth it.

MYE

I dunno which one but it was a Nintendo 64 game for sure. They were fucking EXPENSIVE in my country during the launch window for some retarded reason.

My uncle bought me Super Mario 64 day one for around 130 dollars...
He also bought me the system for god knows how much.

Petrie

Banned
$1000s poured into Dance Dance Revolution in the arcade.

Worth every damn cent for the great times and great friends made.

Amazing.

Modedude

I spent about £50 on the Xenoblade Chronicles special edition with the classic controller and all that.

That's about $75-ish.

$100 on The Witcher 2: EE Dark Edition (and the same amount for the upcoming Tales of Xillia CE). That's probably the highest I'm willing to go.

phanboy4

Kickstarters count? If so, $125.

If not, $49.99 is the most I've ever paid for a new game. Some vintage eBay auctions may have been more than that.

ElNino

If we are including DLC and accessories, then it would be Rock Band for me... I'm hesitant to calculate what it would come to in total, but likely close to $1000.

ultron87

I Kickstarted Sportsfriends for a hundred bucks and bought 6 used Move controllers for Johan Sebastian Joust. It was totally worth it.

Pachinko

Guardian Heroes for the saturn ... in 2002. Canadian exchange rate wasn't so hot then so it cost me 70 USD + 35 Canadian for shipping. I think it cost around 120 in Canadian dollars when it was all said and done.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
The Amazon.com version of the Fallout 3 collector's edition, which I think was $150 (not to mention the cost of strategy guide). Thankfully, I've given up on buying physical collector's editions of games (too expensive, plus why bother when I have Steam/GOG?)

codecow

If you don't count WoW, for me it would be the $180 I spent on the SNES import SF2 cart before it was released in the US.

Halo:Reach

$150 For the Legendary Edition at launch
$35 for all the DLC
$60 for a new standard copy later
$60 for a Games On Demand Version
$30 for another copy a year after launch.

$335.

jadedm17

I know there are some big collectors on here....so what is the most you have ever spent on a single videogame? (Cost of console doesnt count unless you needed an arcade cabinet or spent something extravagant for a rare console just to play that game)

Im boring, most Ive ever spent was $50 to get KH2/HL2 Day 1....havent spent more than 40 since.
I bought the $70 collector edition of Gears of War 2 from bestbuy for the Rc car while my ex bought the $150 lifesize replica version on amazon.

Gears 3 I bought the $400 console with game.

Gears Judgement I ignored completely.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Soon to be, Ketsui PS3. $60 + import fees. Probably around $80 in total.

Clunker

Probably Rock Band with all the instruments back in 2007.

I think it was around $150? Maybe a bit more.

$169, I believe, for the full band kit.

If I wanted to add in cost of other instruments for RB2, it would be $60 + another $80 or so for the RB2 pro drums + $69 for the Fender Bass + $70 for GH3 with the wireless Les Paul. So not all at once, but overall: $279.

I don't even want to calculate how much money I've spent on DLC.

And I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. Years of enjoyment.

morpix

Gah, Americans have it easy. In Aus/NZ we routinely spend at least $80US on a new game. Collectors Editions are even more ludicrous. For me? Full Rock Band kit for +-$300.

Ar Tonelico Qoga Collector's Edition (PS3) $80

In my defense I went to GS and asked him for the game and he said the only copy he had left was a collector's edition. I didn't want to go to another GS so I just said forget it and got the collector's edition. All I got was a soundtrack CD and an artbook.

I don't buy DLC so I never spent more then $60 on a game. This might change because I'm planning on localizing J Stars Victory if it's good enough, and that'll be my first localization.

Right now $67 something for a European copy of One Piece Unlimited Cruise Part 2 for Wii. There is an very good chance that will soon be eclipsed by over $120 for a Japanese version of a collector's edition of NMH2. Still don't have a PS3 because I have plenty of games for my Nintendo system but will get a PS3 in the next year is I can get a good deal. The majority of my games until the last year were under $20.00.

Peeete

For me it was Resident Evil 2.

I was 17 years old, living in Germany. The game was already out in US but we still had to wait a few more months for the German version.

I was so crazy for RE1, I finished it like 30 times at least. Waiting for RE2 while the whole world was playing it already was like hell.

One day I couldn't take it any longer. I called my dad to drive me to a game shop about 100km away. I paid like 100$ for the chip to play import games and 150$ for the import game. Makes a total of about 250$ for 1 game. I never regret :)

I spent even more on the REmake as I've bought a Wii only to play this game, but you said consoles don't count.

Madness

Back in the day, Pokemon Stadium on N64 came with the transfer pak, in Canada it was almost like $100 bucks.

A lot of N64 games were ridiculous in how much they cost back then in Canada. Mario Kart 64 I spent like $90 or something at zellers. Mortal Kombat 4 cost a lot.

But I've bought quite a few limited edition games for over $80+

John1744

$120 for my copy of Earthbound.

Same here buddy, I was about 10-12 and had to have that huge box with the guide and scratch and sniff cards in it.

Though I believe my copy of Lufia 2 at the time cost nearly as much as Earthbound.

I have no idea how my parents allowed me to buy these games.

Recently, easily The Beatles Rock Band for 360 the day it came out. Worth every penny though. Had so much fun with friends playing that game.

Top Bottom