• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the one thing you think everyone should know?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
well, like I said, that was my point, these kind of things are not present in mainstream stuff, and that was just one example of something they can't deny, I can list around 1000 things from WW2 that are not consistent with mainstream facts like who funded a lot of it, how it started, the role of the US/UK secret services, false flags and stuff, I never said there are no guys or private individuals who do their own work, but we're talking about the mainstream, you will never have the full story, and that's my point, which is true, unlike you said in your first reply to me

Operation Paperclip isn't part of the "mainstream" learning of WW2 because a majority of the public want to learn about the battles and the mass genocide. German scientists moving to the US, or other non mainstream topics are only going to be of interest to those who are seriously studying the subject.

Other things that you've mentioned, such as how the war started and the role of the secret service are public knowledge. Multiple books have been written on these subjects that take into account multiple sources from all sides. Not sure what your refering to in regards to "false flags" so I can't comment on that.

I think we're moving away from the original topic. You stated that history is only written by the victor, but have only given some vague examples of WW2 history not being taught at schools. Fact is, there are many, many examples of historical sources told from the defeated parties.

Soodanim

well, like I said, that was my point, these kind of things are not present in mainstream stuff, and that was just one example of something they can't deny, I can list around 1000 things from WW2 that are not consistent with mainstream facts like who funded a lot of it, how it started, the role of the US/UK secret services, false flags and stuff, I never said there are no guys or private individuals who do their own work, but we're talking about the mainstream, you will never have the full story, and that's my point, which is true, unlike you said in your first reply to me
You have to take into account that school curriculums, for better or worse, have a limited time in which to fit the most relevant information (well, to fit in the chosen information in some cases). The main points of WW2 aren’t the aftermath, it’s that in recent history some hateful shit went down that changed a good portion of the world.

If anything, the relative lack of acknowledgment of certain groups in WW2 is disappointing, because showing the unity of peoples worldwide could do quite a lot for positive influence regarding nations, peoples, and immigrants.

Last edited:

Orion2

Banned
Operation Paperclip isn't part of the "mainstream" learning of WW2 because a majority of the public want to learn about the battles and the mass genocide. German scientists moving to the US, or other non mainstream topics are only going to be of interest to those who are seriously studying the subject.

Other things that you've mentioned, such as how the war started and the role of the secret service are public knowledge. Multiple books have been written on these subjects that take into account multiple sources from all sides. Not sure what your refering to in regards to "false flags" so I can't comment on that.

I think we're moving away from the original topic. You stated that history is only written by the victor, but have only given some vague examples of WW2 history not being taught at schools. Fact is, there are many, many examples of historical sources told from the defeated parties.
feel free at any time to link me a textbook from any public school system that has information on secret operations later declassified like Paperclip, the history of Nazi Nasa, the mass exodus of Nazi officials into Argentina

the UK are the first to coin the term false flag since the 1600s, it originates from the tactic of ships disguising themselves with the enemy flag to carry out a surprise attack, which is fine, but it also was used as attacks on their own people to initiate a war, when they would put French or other countries flags on their ships and attack their own ships as setups to get into the fight, everybody used it but UK were the masters of it, which was done on land warfare too later against the Nazi to get into the war, sounds familiar like something US is said to have done? guess where it comes from?
"This practice is considered acceptable in naval warfare, provided the false flag is lowered and the true flag raised before engaging in battle.[1] Auxiliary cruisers operated in such a fashion in both World Wars, as did Q-ships, while merchant vessels were encouraged to use false flags for protection. The 1914 Battle of Trindade was between the auxiliary cruisers RMS Carmania and SMS Cap Trafalgar, in which the SMS Cap Trafalgar had been altered to look like the RMS Carmania.

One of the most notable examples was in World War II when the German commerce raider Kormoran, disguised as a Dutch merchant ship, surprised and sank the Australian light cruiser HMAS Sydney in 1941, causing the greatest recorded loss of life on an Australian warship. The Kormoran was also fatally crippled in that encounter and its crew was captured, but it was a considerable psychological victory for the Germans.[2]

The British used a Kriegsmarine ensign in the St Nazaire Raid and captured a German code book. The old destroyer Campbeltown, which the British planned to sacrifice in the operation, was provided with cosmetic modifications, cutting the ship's funnels and chamfering the edges to resemble a German Möwe-class destroyer. The British were able to get within two miles (3 km) of the harbour before the defences responded, where the explosive-rigged Campbeltown and commandos successfully disabled or destroyed the key dock structures of the port.
"
but if you don't even know what "false flags" are, then I guess that explains why it seems like I'm talking to a wall because all you know is mainstream history and are the exact person I'm warning to watch out not to be, as you seem to not be aware about anything really, so I don't see a point in continuing this discussion

thank you for being a living example of my rule, proving it 100% right

Last edited:

IDKFA

feel free at any time to link me a textbook from any public school system that has information on secret operations later declassified like Paperclip, the history of Nazi Nasa, the mass exodus of Nazi officials into Argentina

the UK are the first to coin the term false flag since the 1600s, it originates from the tactic of ships disguising themselves with the enemy flag to carry out a surprise attack, which is fine, but it also was used as attacks on their own people to initiate a war, when they would put French or other countries flags on their ships and attack their own ships as setups to get into the fight, everybody used it but UK were the masters of it, which was done on land warfare too later against the Nazi to get into the war, sounds familiar like something US is said to have done? guess where it comes from?
"This practice is considered acceptable in naval warfare, provided the false flag is lowered and the true flag raised before engaging in battle.[1] Auxiliary cruisers operated in such a fashion in both World Wars, as did Q-ships, while merchant vessels were encouraged to use false flags for protection. The 1914 Battle of Trindade was between the auxiliary cruisers RMS Carmania and SMS Cap Trafalgar, in which the SMS Cap Trafalgar had been altered to look like the RMS Carmania.

One of the most notable examples was in World War II when the German commerce raider Kormoran, disguised as a Dutch merchant ship, surprised and sank the Australian light cruiser HMAS Sydney in 1941, causing the greatest recorded loss of life on an Australian warship. The Kormoran was also fatally crippled in that encounter and its crew was captured, but it was a considerable psychological victory for the Germans.[2]

The British used a Kriegsmarine ensign in the St Nazaire Raid and captured a German code book. The old destroyer Campbeltown, which the British planned to sacrifice in the operation, was provided with cosmetic modifications, cutting the ship's funnels and chamfering the edges to resemble a German Möwe-class destroyer. The British were able to get within two miles (3 km) of the harbour before the defences responded, where the explosive-rigged Campbeltown and commandos successfully disabled or destroyed the key dock structures of the port.
"
but if you don't even know what "false flags" are, then I guess that explains why it seems like I'm talking to a wall because all you know is mainstream history and are the exact person I'm warning to watch out not to be, as you seem to not be aware about anything really, so I don't see a point in continuing this discussion

That's my fault. I know what a false flag is, but wasn't sure what false flags you were referring to in regards to WW2.

I can't link to a school book that mentions Operation Paperclip for reasons I've already gone over in previous posts.

I think we've now come to an end of this conversation. Taking WW2 out of this, as this seems to be what your fixated on, there are many examples of historical sources from the defeated parties. Therefore, the argument that history is only written by the victor is incorrect.

Orion2

Banned
That's my fault. I know what a false flag is, but wasn't sure what false flags you were referring to in regards to WW2.

I can't link to a school book that mentions Operation Paperclip for reasons I've already gone over in previous posts.

I think we've now come to an end of this conversation. Taking WW2 out of this, as this seems to be what your fixated on, there are many examples of historical sources from the defeated parties. Therefore, the argument that history is only written by the victor is incorrect.
it's not incorrect when you're unable to provide history books in mainstream everyday world detailing the huge events I have listed, since you seem to not have the capacity to understand how you are factually wrong, I'll just have to put you on ignore so I won't be spammed by the same copy/paste wrong message

and I am using WW2 because it's the biggest most recent event where we can get the most info about, events that happened in the early 1000s nobody has any idea what is true or not, it might as well be 90% made up, I'm not going to sit here in 2021 talking about what happened in 1100 at face value

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
0178f2c9593c7d838c481f9c057cacbc.jpg
This. If someone tells you a 'fact they read somewhere,' it's probably bullshit.

IDKFA

it's not incorrect when you're unable to provide history books in mainstream everyday world detailing the huge events I have listed, since you seem to not have the capacity to understand how you are factually wrong, I'll just have to put you on ignore so I won't be spammed by the same copy/paste wrong message

and I am using WW2 because it's the biggest most recent event where we can get the most info about, events that happened in the early 1000s nobody has any idea what is true or not, it might as well be 90% made up, I'm not going to sit here in 2021 talking about what happened in 1100 at face value

Put me on me ignore if you like, but first hear me out.

The premise of your argument is that history is only written by the victors, so it Is therefore impossible to know the full truth of historical events. However, this is factually incorrect, and I know this from being a student of history.

Yes, there are events that are only written by the victor and we only have one side of the story (Punic wars, or the conquest of Gaul for example), but we have many, many cases where this isn't the case.

I know you don't want to talk about events form long in the past because you think it's impossible to know exactly what happened, but even with WW1 or WW2 your argument falls flat.

We have multiple sources written from the German, Italian and Japanese sources. They were the defeated parties and they wrote a history of the events that happened during that period, so this proves that history is not only written by the victor.

I can't point out any school text books, but books for operation Paperclip? Sure.

Here is one that I found.

Don’t take people for granted, you might regret it when you lose them..

Edit: Been thinking a lot that I need to cherish every day I have with my grandparents. When I was younger I always took for granted that they will live for a long time and felt that there’s so much time left. Now I’m realizing that they are already old and I need to spend as much time I can with them. I already regret not realizing this sooner.

Last edited:

BigBooper

All of (at least semi-modern) History is simplified in mass media.

Pilgrims came to America because they wanted religious freedom.
Religions of peace... Buddhism, Islam, etc.
The American Civil war was because of slavery.
WW2 was because of racism.

*I'm not singling out Buddhism or Islam as being more violent than any other religious group, but those are the only two I've ever heard called religions of peace.

Last edited:

Nester99

Time is the most powerful force in the universe. With enough of it you can create and destroy anything. Each person only gets a little bit of it so use it wisely, you can never get anymore and you will never know when you are out.

borborygmus

- What made you different from the people you are against was largely outside of your control.
- The vast majority of incidents whose perpetrators you'd describe as evil are actually due to mental illness.
- Humans actually do not have agency until they collect enough data, not unlike AI.
- If you believe existence bootstrapped itself, you believe in miracles.

Yo yo yo yo yo, for any young'ins out there, just take this advice. As fun as drugs can be, they are definitely not worth it. No not at all. I mean a little weed and booze is ok, but please be careful. A good example is that I am fuckin tripping balls right now and I am just straight up not having a good time. Sometimes it's fun but in the long run it's better to just say no

Sorry for this insane ramble but I guess this is just the perfect example of what I'm talking about haha. Jesus looisus I really need to get my shit together haha

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Men, when you are standing and taking a piss, instead of shaking your wiener to empty yourself out, just wait until you are nearly drained, and then push up right behind your ball sack (scrotum?) and feast your eyes as a final squirt of piss is ejected.

It's more effective than shaking. Read this online somewhere a couple years ago.

dave_d

If there is one thing that you could encourage everyone around you to do or know, what would that be?

And just to give direction to what I’m asking, the answer could be:

1. A vital but often neglected life skill.
2. Knowledge of a particular subject.
3. Sage advice to help you live a better life.
That's easy, the one subject everybody should have some understanding of is economics, at least econ 101. I read so much stuff from so many people that amounts to "I have not even the faintest clue when it comes to economics, here's my opinion." Please if you're in college or university try to take econ 101.

Mossybrew

Nothing that happens on this planet matters to the universe. When it is eventually absorbed into a growing elderly sun it will be as if none of it ever happened at all.

Go_Ly_Dow

1. Drinking and weed can be seriously destructive to lives and relationships by numbing you and stunting your personal development. Accumulating knowledge by broadening who you listen to is much more enlightening.

borborygmus

This will seem extremely obvious to most people but math-challenged people might find this handy.

You can do fast calculations pretty easily in many cases by converting it into an operation on 10, 5 and 2. Something times 5 is the same as multiplying it by 10 and dividing by 2. Something times 4 is the same as multiplying it by 2 twice. It is also the same as multiplying it by 5 (or 10/2) and then subtracting the original value once from the result. Something times 3 is the same as multiplying it by 2 and then adding the original value once more. It is also the same as multiplying it by 5 (or by 10 and dividing by 2) and then subtracting 2x the original value.

Most operations can be simplified into cases like the ones I just mentioned. You can also always turn odd numbers into even ones that are easier to work with, e.g. 521 x 3 = (500 + 10 + 10 + 1) x 3 = 1500 + 30 + 30 + 3

This is super obvious but if you think you're not good at doing calculations, give this a try.

Last edited:
- Learn how to cook

- Learn how to meditate

- If English is not your first language, learn English

- If you're not from the USA, learn to hate the USA

- "Be yourself" doesn't count if you're an asshole; try to be someone else, because you probably suck

- If you thought to yourself "but I'm not an asshole", you probably are but you still didn't notice

Hulk_Smash

Banned
- Learn how to cook

- Learn how to meditate

- "Be yourself" doesn't count if you're an asshole; try to be someone else, because you probably suck

- If you thought to yourself "but I'm not an asshole", you probably are but you still didn't notice
WTF? I think you need to look in the mirror, you might be the asshole you’re talking about. Unless you’re joking. Which in that case, I suggest you hire a comedy coach.

Last edited:
- Learn how to cook

- Learn how to meditate

I was going to agree but learn to hate the USA? Why? They're the only wrong country in the world?

Patrick S.

Banned

"

My grandpa was one of the main machinists on the torpedo boat Falke, and he was the guy who did the most to save the ship after it suffered a heavy collision. Ended up with Iron Cross 1 and 2. He never talked much about war, though, even though I was always fascinated by WW2 stories.

Last edited:
Top Bottom