• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what jrpg are you playing right now ?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think Xenoblade 2 has more happier tone, making it more memorable. Xenoblade 3 has really somber tone.
I actually disagree I really enjoyed XC2 a lot but I personally LOOOOOVED XC3, for me it my personal favourite Xenoblade.

LOVED that too, but we needed to see Aionios from perspective of Noah and others instead of them getting over shadowed by legacy characters.

So I’m personally glad they put Rex and Shulk on expansion rather than main game.

how to train your dragon g*mine GIF

SiahWester

Great topic. JRPGs are a corner stone of gaming to me. Right now I'm playing through Star Ocean Second Story remaster and it's super fun. Motoi Sakuraba's music is freaking incredible. Honestly one of the best thing about the series.

Paltheos

Unicorn Overlord - finishing up the fourth area. I'm split on this game. As a 'not Fire Emblem guy' I like how much more in-depth this game's systems are. On the other hand, the array of options available is overwhelming. There's so much and it takes a while to figure out what's working and what's not. I can say I like that a quasi FF12-style Gambit system exists in something else. The game looks and sounds fantastic too: Gorgeously rendered models and backgrounds and so many of them too, and Basiscape does that field-battle music transition I love so much well. From every angle Vanillaware did it again.

Story is pretty whatever but that's the point? It's not-Fire Emblem. It's a little funny that Alain's the perfectest prince and leader who ever lived the instant you get off the starter island. The game gives you allot of freedom to go wherever you want so it would have to account for those variants of choices (which it does a little) but the game also doesn't seem too concerned about all that, just about having a good time so hey whatever man.

Can anyone recommend a good turn based JRPG on PS5? I've already played DQ11 and P5

Chained Echoes feels like the best genre title in years. I have a few criticisms for it, especially a localization that reads especially unnatural during the first few hours but it's a remarkably complete package otherwise. Solid writing otherwise - character and world-building - a good OST, and the combat system puts a good twist to turn-based combat which can often be let down by letting the player just find one good strategy to combat and letting them do that over and over.

lachesis

Persona 3 Reloaded on Game Pass. Some of the QoL improvements over FES is pretty neat, as well as pretty quick loading times when travelling between same building.
But some things, I'd like to be able to skip faster like some mundane animations, like velvet room loading/opening animations or also fast forwarding during battles could have been faster. Non-skippable all-out attack animation too... but nothing major at all.

Varied environment in the Tartauros is nice as well, but I am having a bit of hard time recognizing some elements, but looking forward new environments from now on.
Currently just rescued Fuuka and got the new(?) special ability/outfit part that I don't remember it being there in FES? Maybe it was there already? Kinda hard to remember as it's been a while since I played FES - but being able to control full party member is definitely nice. :)

I'm very much op'ing myself (mostly to earn money) so it's been pretty easy breeze up to mid 40's floor. Thanks to more liberal language selection on Game Pass, I am playing in my native language - so that's making things go a lot smoother and gives me less fatigue in long conversations as I can read faster.

They also got some rough edges out of the music - but am glad that familiar old tunes are there, just better sampling - but I do kinda miss somewhat rough beats and tears from that sound in weird way. Nostalgia is a definitely a strong thing, that when I was playing FES years ago, it bothered me quite a bit.. but now I end up missing it. :)

I'm playing Paper Mario 64 and Star Ocean R. Both excellent.

Hell yeah, PM64 and go for TTYD after. Unreal how much they upped their game for the sequel. I've never played a Star Ocean game, but I bought Second R on sale for Switch the other day when it went on sale. I'll get to playing one of these days, the backlog struggle is real - especially with RPGs.

Currently playing Paper Mario TTYD, loving it. My wife just picked up P5R and so I am kind of watching her play through that/keeping up with her progress, having played myself a couple years ago.

All this Xenoblade talk is making me want to get back to the series. I played the first one a couple years back and really liked it, heard 2 is love/hate. I own that, Torna, and 3 just haven't gotten around to them. Should I plan to play X before hand? Not from a story perspective, I know it's unrelated, but from a gameplay one. Would it be hard to go back to X after, or is it different enough to stand on its own?

Lufia II on the SNES. I usually quit half-way through the game and never beat it.. Maybe this time? Don't know why I never did, I really love the game.

cireza

Discovering Vay on the SEGA-CD.

iu

The games feels just right between being very classic but keeping my attention. Combat is fast paced, difficulty requires some planning of your dungeon exploration. Story is actually pretty interesting and unconventional. Music is also pretty good, and battles are full screen and animated. I really love the gradients for the outside backgrounds during battles. Honestly, a pretty good surprise. I was expecting something very average, but I would say that overall, this game offers more than the sum of its parts.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

iu

The games feels just right between being very classic but keeping my attention. Combat is fast paced, difficulty requires some planning of your dungeon exploration. Story is actually pretty interesting and unconventional. Music is also pretty good, and battles are full screen and animated. I really love the gradients for the outside backgrounds during battles. Honestly, a pretty good surprise. I was expecting something very average, but I would say that overall, this game offers more than the sum of its parts.
I played this a few years ago but ended up quitting about halfway through because of all the game's difficulty spikes. I know difficulty spikes are basically a staple of old JRPGs, but this game seemed particularly egregious with them. Good luck!

Shake Your Rump

Gold Member

iu

I don’t recall if I ever completed this game. I enjoyed it, though. I bought it at release due to Lunar being amazing and I would have bought any Working Designs game (or probably any Sega CD RPG). It wasn’t quite as good as Lunar, of course.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

iu

The golden age of anime design.

Top Bottom