• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What part of my PC should I upgrade next?

Grief.exe

980ti is a significant jump from 970. Especially for those at 1440p without gsync

Significant jump in price as well...and by significant I mean ridiculous.

The reason I advise to hold off is we have been on the verge of a massive performance jump for a long time. HBM and dieshrinks represent an end to an age of stagnant performance growth.

Skyzard

Banned
Is there a chance the gains from the die shrink aren't that big as they've spent so long optimising it currently?

I assume they wouldn't release something for gaming folks if it wasn't an improvement...and they've had time with all the delays, not sure how much that helps without testing...but plans for optimization or something. ... guess we have to wait and see. Kinda nice AMD gave them a bit of a push with fury, maybe they'll be less likely to skimp early next gpu.

I'm probably going to lose a lot more than usual next year with the 980ti I buy this year.

Durante

I don't think you need to upgrade anything.

What you should do is OC your CPU.

And if you really want to upgrade something, get a large SSD and a 980ti. Also, G-sync is a nice upgrade, but high-quality 1440p G-sync monitors are pretty expensive.

nynt9

Thanks all! I'll look into a 980ti, ssd and g-sync. Can I SLI the 970 and 980ti? I know there was talk about SLI-info different GPUs but I don't remember if that's available yet. Basically, should I keep the 970 or sell it if I get a 980ti?

As a 970 owner, id recommend getting rid of that trash.

Need the name of games.

GTAV keeps jiggering when I drive around, like second-long stutters, Witcher 3 runs at a weird not-so-high FPS, a lot of games have a little bit of stuttering that just adds up. And these are all on not-ultra or semi-ultra settings.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Is a 970 a bad purchase for playing at 1080 resolution?

If I have to get a new gpu for VR that was the one I was debating on getting. The only way I'd buy any time before it's out is if the 970 went on sale.

Yudoken

Is a 970 a bad purchase for playing at 1080 resolution?

If I have to get a new gpu for VR that was the one I was debating on getting. The only way I'd buy any time before it's out is if the 970 went on sale.

970 is a great purchase for 1440p and below.
Go for it!

alife

Sell the GTX 970, upgrade to a 980 Ti, then sell the 980 Ti next year when Pascal hits if you really need to scratch that itch. Otherwise, stick it out with what you have currently and go balls to the wall on a new system next year after Windows 10/DX 12 matures a bit, plus Intel's Skylake and AMD's R9 400 series alongside NVIDIA's Pascal will be the hot shit. I think that'll be a game changing period.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
You might be happy with your current monitor but if it's not GSYNC then you should upgrade that.

G-Sync for sure

It's on the list but not a top priority. I'd rather solve my performance issues first.

Upgrade the GTX970 to a 980Ti, or get a second 970 and wait for DX12 and pray for split-frame rendering.

Daingurse

Everything is pretty solid, maybe a G-Sync monitor would be good. If you really don't mind spending some money, you could get a 980Ti. More VRAM would be nice, especially at 1440p. Still wish Nvidia didn't advertise the 970 as a normal 4GB since that's why I bought mine around launch . . .

OmegaDL50

Well he'll probably never have to upgrade it again unless he goes crazy like quad SLI. I usually recommend getting more PSU than you need.

A PSU that more then what you need just turns into wasted energy, and that wasted energy becomes excess heat.

And we all know that excess heat is the number one enemy to computers and electronics.

With that said, keep in mind that efficiency is not constant across the different levels of power consumption. Efficiency of power supplies generally peaks at 50%-75% of the PSUs rated load. The curve varies from a model to model, however, as a rule of thumb one should buy a PSU such that the calculated typical consumption of ALL components is between 50%-60% of the rated PSU capacity.

Just putting the parts the OP has question, even at maximum load and some overclocking, it wouldn't even use more then 500 watts. 1300 is unnecessary and will never be taken advantage of. Especially with the recent trends of parts becoming more energy efficient in terms of TPD and power consumption.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I don't know about SLI 970s at 1440p, the VRAM is already a serious problem with one. Adding another one will represent a limited value.

Well if DX12 bring Split-rendering two 970s wont be a bad idea.

But yeah a 980Ti is pretty much the only real upgrade right now, since OP doesnt want G-Sync (which i think would be the best upgrade for the machine he has)

dr_rus

Well if DX12 bring Split-rendering two 970s wont be a bad idea.

But yeah a 980Ti is pretty much the only real upgrade right now, since OP doesnt want G-Sync (which i think would be the best upgrade for the machine he has)

DX12 will bring an ability for developers to code custom rendering over several videocards. Considering that no console out there have two videocards I'd say that the chance for any AAA graphics intensive multiplatform game to have such code are close to none.

Long story short: don't use SLI/CF if you have a one chip option.

cripterion

Everything is pretty solid, maybe a G-Sync monitor would be good. If you really don't mind spending some money, you could get a 980Ti. More VRAM would be nice, especially at 1440p. Still wish Nvidia didn't advertise the 970 as a normal 4GB since that's why I bought mine around launch . . .

I agree but can't help but roll my eyes when you got people sitting here acting like it's a crappy card...
Still rocking two of these babies till Pascal. GTX 980Ti EU pricing? Uh nope!

My next upgrade will definitely be a 27" Gsync monitor.

Yudoken

I don't know about SLI 970s at 1440p, the VRAM is already a serious problem with one. Adding another one will represent a limited value.

I'm using it to downsample it from extremely high resolution with very, very high settings.
GTA V for example works great!
A 970 alone is a very good 1440p card, two are 2880x1620 cards.
I normally downsample and set 2xMSAA and almost everything to max and it works great for 50-60fps.
Please stop making it worse than it is, a 970 is a smart choice if you're not made out of money and want the price/performance ratio card from nvidia.
And two of them are at least as performing as a 980ti.
There are of course some games (like Trials Fusion or Fifa 15) which don't work with SLI but those games are not that demanding.
Especially with X12 in the horizon (which fixes almost any SLI issues and vram is now doubled!) 970s are a REALLY great choice for gaming.

Top Bottom