• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What to do about faulty DVDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snaildog

One of my Futuramas always freezes in the same place. I've tried giving it a good wipe with a cloth; is there something I can get done to it like resurfacing or something? And what's the point of having a DVD collection if they scratch this damn easily?

ohamsie

I have a Princess Mononoke dvd with the same problem, fresh out of the shrink wrap, and it froze with the first viewing. It happens really close to the end of the movie too, so I had watched almost all of it before it happened.

DVD discs are quite resistant to surface scratches in my experience, which is why it sounds more like a manufacturing defect, as opposed to a scratch. I've also had a defective disc before, fresh out of shrinkwarp; it was definitely a flaw in the pressing of the disc.

You have three choices, as far as I know: You can bring it back to the store where you bought it, and they may allow you to exchange it (stores have varying policies on these matters). You can send it to the manufacturer, and they'll send you a new one (but it takes a while). Or, you just buy a new one and hope it was just a fluke and not an even bigger production problem (which happens, but is rare).

snaildog

The DVD worked perfectly the first couple of times I watched it though, so I probably can't blame the manufacturing. I'm damn careful with them when I handle them; it's probably the PS2 stuffing them up. One of my James Bonds does the same thing.

Jim Bowie

Scratch it with a nail along the inner disc portion. Then, box it all back up and take it to your friendly Wal-Mart. Tell the truth- tell them that you opened the box and tried to play it, but it's not working. Also tell them that you'd like to exchange it for an exact copy. The nail is for one purpose.

1) Wal-Mart/Best Buy/Suncoast can be dicks about taking back movies with programming flaws. The nail scratch makes the disc looked fucked up, so there will be no dispute.

impirius

Google gave me this... HTH

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Glitches/Glitches.asp
Futurama-Season 3 (Box Set)
Glitch: Crashes
Number of Reports: Multiple
Players affected: Multiple (not all), ?
Comments: There seems to be an issue with discs 1 and 4 of this set not playing back properly on some DVD players. Precise information is hard to come by, but XBoxes and PS/2s seem to be commonly involved. It is not clear exactly where the problem lies, although there are some reports that exchanging the discs works. Fox have acknowledged that there is a "minor problem" with some Futurama discs. If you are affected, you can call Fox Customer Support on 1 300 369 843 to arrange for an exchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom