• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What to do in Ninja Gaiden II?

I don't know if this game is even for me. I really don't like the bosses; Genshin's minion spam followed by that incredibly boring armadillo fight have really turned me off from the game. Playing both this and Black and both give me the same feeling, that the combat deserves better than the bosses and overall design of the game. I never get the urge to persevere through a boss fight or tedious section, I just turn the game off.

Different strokes for different folks. For me personally, this game didn't really open up until I played it on the harder difficulties (I forget all the difficulty names), but this game definitely gets more interesting on higher difficulties. Having said that, if the game hasn't grabbed you then there's no guarantee that bumping up the difficulty will change that but you already own it so why not give it a shot? It worked for me (whatever that's worth to you). I will say that I think the boss battles were some of the things that were actually improved with Sigma 2.
Weirdly, I'm someone who hates NGB & NGS1 but I love NGll & NGS2 and NGS3RE. As far as the character action genre as a whole goes I've kind of played them all but am only a fan of the previously mentioned NG games, DMC1 (though I think it's aged poorly), DMC3 and dMc. I'm not a God of War fan or a Bayonetta fan or a Revengeance fan.

I don't know, I've played through Razor's Edge twice. I had no problem in that game dying 20 times to something as long as I came closer to optimizing and understanding the fight. With Ninja Gaiden II's bosses I just see a bunch of shit going on that doesn't make any discernible sense and I lose interest within a few tries.

gdt

Greatest combat system of all time. So fast and brutal.

How is it that NGB and NGII aren't on PC? Leaving money on the table imo

Izuna

Banned
Git gud mate :D

NG2 bosses are mostly simple. Just keep dodging until they do the one attack that has a lot of recovery frames. With Dragon Sword, you only need YYYYY or w/e

SkylineRKR

Xbox Black and NG2. Look no further.

Sigma 1 on PS3 works, and isn't as butchered as Sigma 2, but still inferior.

You can mostly get away with spamming Flying Swallows, Izuna Drop, and Obliteration Techniques. Even on Mentor this usually works. Vanilla NG2 is a terribly put together game riddled with poorly conceived arenas and enemies. In almost any fight where those basic moves don't cut it, there's usually a simple way to exploit the laughable AI and cheese the fight.

The Sigma version is unquestionably better in my eyes and I'm always baffled how so many people despise it. Yes, the new chapters with the new playable characters are weak and some sections have been made simpler to a fault, but the game is much better balanced from nearly every angle and almost all of the infamous garbage from the vanilla version (like the dozens of exploding jellyfish, the awful fights with the red fish in the swamp and the atrocious cave section in Chapter 9) has been left out.

No, the removal of blood and an easier overall difficulty does not make the Sigma version worse than the original. In Sigma, when a giant flaming armadillo blows up after you beat it, you don't have to block the explosion (something you should never attempt elsewhere in this game) in order to not get one-hit-killed!

Flying swallow
Izuna drop
UT

Nothing else matters.

Oh yeah, just hide around a corner and UT if you're ever in doubt. I don't understand why they continue to add that move (and continue to make it function the way it does) into each game. It's busted and trivializes so much.

I respect the hell out of the people that managed to beat this game on Master Ninja, but the patience for me to do so was insurmountable. Mentor has always been my go-to in replays because it allows for some room for experimentation in terms of weaponry and their individual movesets. Still the best action game of all time.

1250 achievement, bro. I still continue to play Master Ninja till this day. Love that difficulty.

You can mostly get away with spamming Flying Swallows, Izuna Drop, and Obliteration Techniques. Even on Mentor this usually works. Vanilla NG2 is a terribly put together game riddled with poorly conceived arenas and enemies. In almost any fight where those basic moves don't cut it, there's usually a simple way to exploit the laughable AI and cheese the fight.

The Sigma version is unquestionably better in my eyes and I'm always baffled how so many people despise it. Yes, the new chapters with the new playable characters are weak and some sections have been made simpler to a fault, but the game is much better balanced from nearly every angle and almost all of the infamous garbage from the vanilla version (like the dozens of exploding jellyfish, the awful fights with the red fish in the swamp and the atrocious cave section in Chapter 9) has been left out.

No, the removal of blood and an easier overall difficulty does not make the Sigma version worse than the original. In Sigma, when a giant flaming armadillo blows up after you beat it, you don't have to block the explosion (something you should never attempt elsewhere in this game) in order to not get one-hit-killed!

You're wrong, the Sigma version is garbage. There is nothing good about that trash.

You're wrong, the Sigma version is garbage. There is nothing good about that trash.

I hear this same line from everyone who considers themselves a die-hard NG fan yet they never explain WHY Sigma is "trash" or how they can overlook the abundance of flaws with the vanilla version.

I don't know, I've played through Razor's Edge twice. I had no problem in that game dying 20 times to something as long as I came closer to optimizing and understanding the fight. With Ninja Gaiden II's bosses I just see a bunch of shit going on that doesn't make any discernible sense and I lose interest within a few tries.

So my path to playing this game was weird. I actually started with Sigma 2 and played a bunch of it. I loved the game and heard that the 360 version was pretty different. Since I could get it for less than $10 I decided to pick it up, so for me the 360 game just felt like this remixed version of the game I had been playing which maybe helped me wrap my head around the encounters in NGll better? Based on what you're saying you might be a Sigma 2 fan. Encounters in Sigma 2 through fewer enemies at you but they're generally a bit tougher. Also, I prefer its boss battles to the 360 version.

I hear this same line from everyone who considers themselves a die-hard NG fan yet they never explain WHY Sigma is "trash" or how they can overlook the abundance of flaws with the vanilla version.

There are many topics and replies that has cover our reasons. Maybe you should search through the forum for them. People have even posted video examples as to why also.

Aske

I respect the hell out of the people that managed to beat this game on Master Ninja, but the patience for me to do so was insurmountable. Mentor has always been my go-to in replays because it allows for some room for experimentation in terms of weaponry and their individual movesets. Still the best action game of all time.

My man. I have the exact same thoughts. Maybe someday I'll best it on Master Ninja. Until then, I'm more than proud to be a Mentor of this game.

It's going better now. Why are the Greater Fiends so free? Alexei was a chump and Zedonius was only a threat when he summoned minions.

Yeah, you can sort of just mash a lot of them out on Warrior mode. On harder modes they definitely start getting pretty vicious though.

But regardless, NG2 doesn't really have the best bosses. (Although Genshin is definitely one of the great rival fights.)

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Man, this game has been on my mind as of late. The GOAT combat system. Would totally buy a remaster or pick up the OG if it gets BC.

Top Bottom