• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what were the top 5 engines this generation? (in-house engines included, you can defend your choices on the basis of fidelity, optimisation, ...)

H . R . 2

my picks:
1. Ready at Dawn's RAD Engine

the_order_1886_screen_01_ps4_us_12aug14.0.jpg

2. Rockstar's RAGE
3. Naughty Dog's in-house engine
4. Guerilla's Decima
5. Ubisoft's Snowdrop

Honourable mentions:
Activision/Infinity Ward's lastest COD engine
Assassin's Creed Unity's version of AnvilNext
Evolution's Engine for DriveClub
Netherealm and Rocksteady's version of UE

Dark Star

I remember that I was extremely impressed by the FOX Engine and how MGS V looked.

I played it on PC, but iirc it was 1080p with 60fps on the PS4 and given how the game looked it was insane

First thing that came to mind. MGSV looks incredible on the PS4 compared to other games. Super clean, smooth and solid frame rate, realistic textures/graphics, etc, etc. I don't nerd out on game engines, but the FOX engine is something I actually looked up in the middle of my first playthrough of MGSV because I was so impressed.

Also shout out to whatever Naughty Dog is doing. Great looking games (uncharted 4 ...)

And Id Software for DOOM 2016 (Id Tech 6?)

Last edited:
voxel engines like those of Minecraft, NMS and Dreams that allow players to fully shape and reshape their environments are the future

sharper textures and more polygons in traditional engines can only look good and that doesn't impress anyone anymore

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Naughty Dog engine: animations, fidelity, sound, all top fucking tier.

Decima, COD 2019 and RE Engine up there also.

Last edited:
CryEngine, Decima, UE4, and whatever you call ND’s. For the 5th, give me Capcom’s internal engine. Nothing about it necessarily captivated me, but many of the games made using it were excellent.

Kumomeme

RE engine by capcom

it basically next MT Framework

the amount and genre the engine output, the time taken for development, game release...performance, visual etc...it basically what square enix want to have with luminous studio..no use if the engine is pretty but it cant give smooth development

also, fox engine could be konami's mt framework engine..it even open world ready..but they wasted it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'll always defend this game engine: Call of Duty.

No matter if it's last gen, current gen, small maps or BR map, 12 player standard match or 50 player BR, some games even had vehicles.

- 60 fps
- Easy to use UI
- Fast lobbies
- And ever since I think BO 1, lots of nice career stat tracking in MP

People shit on it, but on consoles there's never been a shooter engine running so consistently and smooth over 15 years.

Last edited:

H . R . 2

CryEngine, Decima, UE4, and whatever you call ND’s. For the 5th, give me Capcom’s internal engine. Nothing about it necessarily captivated me, but many of the games made using it were excellent.
I didn't include CryEngine due to the fact that very few games are built upon that engine. also because the majority of them are usually very poorly optimised.

I agree, I think Capcom's RE engine is the best thing that's ever happened to the RE series on a technical level

H . R . 2

First thing that came to mind. MGSV looks incredible on the PS4 compared to other games. Super clean, smooth and solid frame rate, realistic textures/graphics, etc, etc. I don't nerd out on game engines, but the FOX engine is something I actually looked up in the middle of my first playthrough of MGSV because I was so impressed.

Also shout out to whatever Naughty Dog is doing. Great looking games (uncharted 4 ...)

And Id Software for DOOM 2016 (Id Tech 6?)

when MGS V got announced back in 2014, I was absolutely blown away by how realistic the graphics were. it was one of the few engines that offered 60 fps on consoles to boot. I just didn't include it purely based on the fact that Konami let it go to waste and it hasn't been used much since MGSV, but you're absolutely right

Top Bottom