• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would need to be done to Halo 3...

Jeff-DSA

...in order for the quality of game to meet the hype of the franchise?

Here are some things that are in vital need of improvement in my opinion:

-Better level design (less repetitious architecture, far less shadow and dark purple)
-Longer campaign where the Chief and anybody else playable have entirely seperate campaigns, ala Starcraft
-Better matchmaking system
-Ability to give voice commands to squad members like in Rainbow Six 3, but better
-Eliminate pop-up (that's a guarantee to happen)
-Find a better balance in weaponry
-Boss-type situations (not necessarily bosses, but situations like in Half-Life 2 that are life boss fights. Like bringing down a strider or dealing with a strong airborne presence while on foot)
-Destructible environments like Black has showcased
-NO MORE FLASHLIGHT SITUATIONS

Halo 3 is going to be Microsoft's trump card against the launch of the PS3, and to a smaller extent the Revolution. It is probably going to have a much, much larger marketing campaign than Halo 2 did, so the hype will be unreal. I wonder how the product will measure up...

Jeff-DSA

Call me a troll...that's cool.

Anyway, if you feel things are great now, say so. If not, then tell us what improvements you want to see.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Make the play mechanics more difficult.
Start default controllers to inverted like they are suppose to be, because that way I don't suck at it when I try to play because they had to put it regular and dumb-it down for mass appeal, and when I pick it up and try to learn how to play, I look like a jackass becuase I can't control it, and I start bitching about the controls and everyone thinks I suck when actually, give me a regular FPS and I'd burn down everyone in the rooms world.

.... woa, sorry about that.

Tain

...in order for the quality of game to meet the hype of the franchise?

I have no clue what sort of hype is attatched to the Halo franchise. My take has always been that it's an FPS worth playing because it has fairly unique gameplay and everybody on the planet plays it.

As long as they keep with the whackass physics, awesome grenades, weapon limit, shield recharge, and motion radar, while making a few random enhancements in the same manner as Halo 2, it'll be fine.

Singleplayer doesn't have much past greatness to live up to. Just have some more epic scenes like in Halo 2, and I'll plow through it once for the hell of it.

Speevy

Banned
Most console gamers seem to think the series lives up to the hype. Otherwise, why choose it over every alternative?

it needs for there to be a way that bungie can have the difference but still keep it still and calm so when you have one person saying its one way that might not fall in line with the opinion of others, you will still have the general consensus be "hey, thats not quite what i had in mind but i still like it".

VALIS

I thought Halo 2 was great, personally. Hard to understand why it gets ripped on so frequently. Must have something to do with the story, which I skip through in 95% of games, anyway.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
a proprietary controller in which it senses distaste in the game and automatically electrocutes people to death just so i can avoid reading awful suggestion posts like these.

FiRez

If they can't make a new Halo game as good as the 1st one the remake the first one or a tournament edition.

Joe

99% of my interest is in multi-player. and in that aspect its NEAR perfect. but the little things that it does bad/wrong are annoying. plasma pistols and spawning RIGHT NEXT TO FUCKING ENEMIES are a couple things.

DopeyFish

and the sword. The lunge is too far and Team Swords is lame.

If 2 people have a sword and they lunge within a reasonable timeframe, the swords should just clash. There should also be a way to escape it. The fact that they pretty much fly to you and kill you automatically totally strays away of Halos ideology of strategy.

multiplayer they got it in the bag, single player too

basically, anything bungie does will probably be fine

but here's what i'd like to see...

the master chief is involved in a massive multi level [7-8 levels] earth defense/ark finding onslaught versus the prophets

meanwhile... the arbiter has to rescue cortana (and face off against gravemind) [3 levels max]

success on both ends meets with a prophet escaping and trying to forcefullly set off a halo manually... cue final showdown [3 more levels]

THE END

Get rid of the fucking sword in multipplayer and the homing with rockets.
Better level design with less corridors.
Bosses would be awesome too
Put more of an after effect for ppl who jump alot in multiplayer, i hate that shit.

Dopey stop being an idiot all the suggestions by the first poster are valid.

john2kx

DopeyFish said:
and the sword. The lunge is too far and Team Swords is lame.

If 2 people have a sword and they lunge within a reasonable timeframe, the swords should just clash. There should also be a way to escape it. The fact that they pretty much fly to you and kill you automatically totally strays away of Halos ideology of strategy.

There is a way to escape it. Several ways, actually.

Syb

I want to be able to control one of those AirCraft things, You know. >_>

Adding the Artic Warthog (Which was supposed to be in Halo 2) would be cool too.

DopeyFish

Kabuki Waq said:
Dopey stop being an idiot all the suggestions by the first poster are valid.

wait... what?

-Better level design (less repetitious architecture, far less shadow and dark purple) The covenant will, all of a sudden.... become artists! and use a massive array of colors! Either way, the level design wasn't repititious in halo 2, nor was it's use of colors and lighting. You can dispute that all you want, but the issue simply does not exist in Halo 2
-Longer campaign where the Chief and anybody else playable have entirely seperate campaigns, ala Starcraft
-Better matchmaking system PROVEN MATCHMAKING SYSTEM
-Ability to give voice commands to squad members like in Rainbow Six 3, but better What is the point of this? I don't want a straightforward fps game turn into a jumbled, complicated POS that Rainbow Six 3 is
-Eliminate pop-up (that's a guarantee to happen) No it's not a guarantee
-Find a better balance in weaponry The balance is already there, your skills in using that balance to your advantage is not
-Boss-type situations (not necessarily bosses, but situations like in Half-Life 2 that are life boss fights. Like bringing down a strider or dealing with a strong airborne presence while on foot) There was 3 or 4 bosses in halo 2. All of them were life based. You didn't see the life bar because seeing the life bar is incredibly stupid and I hope i don't have to see it again. Remember, bungie is trying to eliminate the whole idea that it's a video game (2 weapons vs 10+, no crazy movement speed, no health indicator saying "100"
-Destructible environments like Black has showcased Hey, finally! a real suggestion!
-NO MORE FLASHLIGHT SITUATIONS Wasn't there 1 or 2 situations in Halo 2? And in those situations... did you even shoot anyone?! I didn't.

Kuroyume

Banned
This is so stupid... the game needs more flashlight... you know nothing about game design. Leave it to the guys who know what they are doing.

Sai

I didn't have much of a problem with Single Player Campaign besides the fact that it ended so abruptly.

For Multiplayer(and I suppose some of this could apply for Single Player as well):

-Hitboxes and sticky aim back to the way it was in HALO. Hitboxes are much bigger in HALO 2, and the sticky aim is just as severe as it is when you're in the red in HALO. It's hard to miss. :p

-Fix the Plasma Pistol... Somehow. Combo it with any precision weapon and it's kinda broken. Reduce it's homing properties, put it somewhere in between the way it is in HALO and HALO 2, make it so that the reticle has to be on the target far longer for it to home in like that-- I dunno, but I hate that thing right now.

-Axe the lunge attacks for the Energy Sword and Melees for other weapons. There was at least some kind of finess involved with melee combat in HALO, now all you have to do is look in the general direction of the opponent from a few feet away and your opponent gains the gravity pull of the sun. >.> At the very least, remove aerial lunge attacks for the Energy Sword/Melees so we can have...

-Fall damage back in. I'd like to board an enemy's Banshee at the highest point of a map like Headlong, and have him fall to his death. Or have him take a fair bit of damage at least, doesn't have to be the same as it was in HALO. The damage doesn't have to be as bad, nor does the fall distance have to be as long, I just want there to be some kind of penalty.

-Give the Energy Sword a battery in Multiplayer. Though, if I remember correctly, this is something Bungie wanted to do very late in the game's development.

-Rocket Launcher's Target Track feature-- have it like it was in the E32k4 Demo, where it could only Target Track vehicles while zoomed in, and make the time it takes to Target Track a bit longer. This way, Target Tracking can be interrupted by someone with a precision weapon to knock them out of it. And the RL won't be as much of a dominating force on big, vehicle-oriented maps.

-Fuel Rod Gun! For the Banshee too! Bungie couldn't put it in HALO 2 because of the amount of lag it caused, wonder if that was more of a hardware or network issue.

... Am I missing anything?

DopeyFish said:
There should also be a way to escape it.
There is, though I can never do it consistently. Don't know if it's because of lag(which there's usually a decent amount of in a game of Team Swords. You have to move to the right(or was it the left?...) at a specific moment during the lunge.

DopeyFish

john2kx said:
There is a way to escape it. Several ways, actually.

You're talking to someone with about 80/20% W/L across 1500 ranked games in Halo 2. There is no way to escape unless you either fluke out with a shotgun blast, the physics gets screwy (where he hits a surface and flies into the great unknown) or the swordsman doesn't know what he's doing and aims for your head, arms or legs.

You might think there's a way to escape it but believe me it's either a mistake on the engines part or a mistake on the swordsmans part. I've played against some very good swordsmen and they almost NEVER MISS.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Sai said:
I didn't have much of a problem with Single Player Campaign besides the fact that it ended so abruptly.

For Multiplayer(and I suppose some of this could apply for Single Player as well):

-Hitboxes and sticky aim back to the way it was in HALO. Hitboxes are much bigger in HALO 2, and the sticky aim is just as severe as it is when you're in the red in HALO. It's hard to miss. :p

-Fix the Plasma Pistol... Somehow. Combo it with any precision weapon and it's kinda broken. Reduce it's homing properties, put it somewhere in between the way it is in HALO and HALO 2, make it so that the reticle has to be on the target far longer for it to home in like that-- I dunno, but I hate that thing right now.

-Axe the lunge attacks for the Energy Sword and Melees for other weapons. There was at least some kind of finess involved with melee combat in HALO, now all you have to do is look in the general direction of the opponent from a few feet away and your opponent gains the gravity pull of the sun. >.> At the very least, remove aerial lunge attacks for the Energy Sword/Melees so we can have...

-Fall damage back in. I'd like to board an enemy's Banshee at the highest point of a map like Headlong, and have him fall to his death. Or have him take a fair bit of damage at least, doesn't have to be the same as it was in HALO. The damage doesn't have to be as bad, nor does the fall distance have to be as long, I just want there to be some kind of penalty.

-Give the Energy Sword a battery in Multiplayer. Though, if I remember correctly, this is something Bungie wanted to do very late in the game's development.

-Rocket Launcher's Target Track feature-- have it like it was in the E32k4 Demo, where it could only Target Track vehicles while zoomed in, and make the time it takes to Target Track a bit longer. This way, Target Tracking can be interrupted by someone with a precision weapon to knock them out of it. And the RL won't be as much of a dominating force on big, vehicle-oriented maps.

-Fuel Rod Gun! For the Banshee too! Bungie couldn't put it in HALO 2 because of the amount of lag it caused, wonder if that was more of a hardware or network issue.

... Am I missing anything?

There is, though I can never do it consistently. Don't know if it's because of lag(which there's usually a decent amount of in a game of Team Swords. You have to move to the right(or was it the left?...) at a specific moment during the lunge.

Nice points Sai.

The thing i most want done is have one team focus on tournament or pro style multiplayer to get it back to a more skill based competition. There can still be dual weilding and the sword, but leave that for the general masses. For the pro edition have people start with a pistol or BR type weapon and all precision weapons should have little to no auto-aim. This is asking a lot since bungie doesn't have to cater to the minority, but this is their hardcore fanbase and they should keep the serious players happy.

Single player was fun, they just have to make a sweet ass ending to make up for the shitfest in 2.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I will never understand anyone that rags on the matchmaking..... play custom if you want to repeat 1 map over and over and over and over and over and over.

Say no to fall damage! It would be pretty cool if they died when you jacked a banshee, just change the animation so when you boot them out they fall upside down and land on their head or something. But no fall damage rocks, I love it.

also, the autoaiming thing, anyone know if that was put in to counter lag online a little?

maybe they could make the plasma pistol act like the rocket launcher where it has to lock. and take the rocket tracking away. blood gulch sucks now and the vehicles are either way overpowered (you hold the rockets) or pointless (you are about to get triple killed if you are fucking around in a warthog).

J2 Cool

Make the game play like the damn E3 demo. They hyped me for that and then came out with a shitty single player. Add the additions everyone wants to multiplayer, make it work fantastic online, get some mind blowing graphics, massive destructability like I'd expect in a galactic alien war, and give us a single player with some effort behind it!

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Other than a better (more conclusive) ending all id like to see is more of the same. Halo 2 added a lot with the cut-scenes that really sold the characters, this time id like to see action cutscenes, you know like Chief doing something uber-cool then sticking his boot through a grunts face or something like that.

Hopefully now Bungie will also finally be able to use the sense of scale they've always wanted to...It'll totally vindicate the ending to 2 if Halo 3 has a huge battle with hundreds of marines, covenant and vehicles on Earth.

-Ability to give voice commands to squad members like in Rainbow Six 3, but better

I don't think I can make it clear enough quite how much I would hate this. I think it would over-complicate a game that, until now, has captured the simplicity of older first-person-shooters while beefing out the action with team artificial intelligence.

For me, just take out the Arbiter or make it so you choose to play as him or the Master Chief at the start of the game. I just found it confusing switching between the flashlight and camouflage. And, when playing as the arbiter in co-op it was tricky trying to figure out who was on your side and who you were attacking.

Ghost said:
Hopefully now Bungie will also finally be able to use the sense of scale they've always wanted to...It'll totally vindicate the ending to 2 if Halo 3 has a huge battle with hundreds of marines, covenant and vehicles on Earth.

Hundreds? I expect to see thousands.

I'd add that I'd like Bungie to try and get the feeling of an alien environment back. I really miss looking up into the sky and immediately be reminded of the alien setting. There's also something majestic about being able to see the whole world. Wicked stuff, and was almost non-existant in Halo 2.

_Angelus_

Banned
How do you improve on it in H3?

Make it a simultaneous multi platform release so noone ends up feeling bitter that they've been left out. Maybe add Mario and Jak in the other versions,heh.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
G-Fex said:
non-repetitive
no play ing as a uninteresting character or stupid character
unboring.

awesome critique.

I second making the third game "unboring"

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Ramirez said:
Yea Dude,let's have BR start on Midship!That way I can spawn and be dead within seconds :D

Let's not have a BR start on midship and have the other team grab the BRs so i can get raped with a Plasma Rifle in my hand :)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I say keep the flashlight...and use it like in Halo. I hated the levels in Halo 2 where you had to walk through completely darkened corridors with confusing level design and rely on your flashlight. It was much more reasonably used in the first game.

Also, I agree about the level-design. Make it more varied... "oh oh, the covenant are so rational and clever they design every god damn room the exact same way mhm mhm alright!!"

And one more thing...the mysterious tone in the first Halo was lost in Halo 2. There were many things unknown in Halo, that's what made the story so interesting...with the flood and all. Halo 2 barely had any mysteries like that, instead they tried to shove a weak, political Star Trekkish plot down our throats. Ugh. Add more exploration of the unknown in Halo 3 plz.

Needs a class-based team multiplayer online mode in addition to what it has already.

Needs wider areas that allow for multiple pathways through levels in campaign mode.

Needs online co-op.

Needs a map editor, but with real-time morphing of landscapes and plenty of options for weather and ambient effects and the allowance for very large maps and game type customization. Sort of a cross between the Far Cry Instincts and Timesplitters editors.

It needs these.

I just want to see some open ended, non-linear single player levels ala Halo 1. I found Halo 2 single player to be totally shit; it was like playing The Library again and again and again...

ToxicAdam

Halo will always be a "dumbed down" FPS until they get rid of shields and auto aim (or drastically cut both of these features).

They need to add more design into their levels. Halo: Combat Evolved had plenty but after Earth, it seemed like Halo 2 turned into running straight down hallways, and shooting. There was no design to the levels at all.

-No inexplicaple invisible walls.

-No not being able to board a vehicle for no other reason than the developer doesn't want you to, like the Banshees on the Delta Halo.

-No more linear A to B to C stages.

-Big huge battles that put ATOTCR and Quarantine Zone to shame.

FiRez

ToxicAdam said:
Halo will always be a "dumbed down" FPS until they get rid of shields and auto aim (or drastically cut both of these features).

-You've never played H2 MP because you should now that the shields is a very critical part in the game pace (and it adds a lot of tension in frenetics battles)
-the auto-aim is a big problem of H2 (it was somehow fixed in 1.1 patch), in H:CE it was fine almost un-noticeable

but no I don't agree that's a dumbed down FPS, there's professional and competitive scene around both Halo games

Top Bottom