• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's a future problem you are going to have and what are you doing to prepare for it?

Mondai

I foresee an issue with my brother after our parents pass on, they are leaving their house to us , and I think we are going to argue a lot about what do to do with it, the best course of action for the house would be to rent it out or set it as an hospedaje , I think selling the house would be a waste since it's in a great location. I don't know how he feels about it since I barely talk to him, but I am going to try my best to convince him on not selling the house.

nocsi

I foresee an issue with my brother after our parents pass on, they are leaving their house to us , and I think we are going to argue a lot about what do to do with it, the best course of action for the house would be to rent it out or set it as an hospedaje , I think selling the house would be a waste since it's in a great location. I don't know how he feels about it since I barely talk to him, but I am going to try my best to convince him on not selling the house.
If you’re American, should probably figure all that out prior otherwise probate will eat everything. You especially can’t just rent it out unless it’s been transferred to somebody else or some entity prior.

Cyberpunkd

Two things:

1. Retirement money - this is mostly a problem in Europe (although I can definitely see healthcare system changing in the US in the next 20-30 years the 401(k) will probably stay), but in short: already now the retirement systems are in constant deficit, retirement money is being subsidized by the state. This is also the reason why governments in Europe are increasing the retirement age so that people will not retire on a pension that doesn't allow them to survive.

The problem is people do not care, they vote for the political party that promises not to raise it, and thus the cycle perpetuates itself. It's also difficult that we are talking about something spread over decades. People in Europe do not think about saving for retirement the same way Americans do.

Problem: you will get very, very little money when you retire, nowhere comparable to your retirement pension payments you made over the years. I do not think anyone will dare to outright abolish retirement pension, since you always have people saying: "But you promised me pension!", but it will be severely reduced.

Solution: Try to put as little money into official government retirement pension as possible, educate yourself on all the tax deductions etc. Use that money to invest in a diversified portfolio with a risk profile that you are comfortable with.

2. Health - people are living longer and longer, but not necessarily because they eat better and exercise, mostly because medicine gets better at keeping them alive. However that can still potentially mean decades of poor health and constant struggle.

Problem: You will live longer but last 20 years of your life will be a constant struggle with frequent visits to the doctor and hospital.

Solution: get started on a healthy lifestyle with physical exercise right now, make it a part of your routine. You will easily gain additional 20-30 years in relative comfort.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
My sex robot may try to kill me.

Otherwise mine is retirement. I don’t think I will have enough to retire fully completely while trying to sort things out like the mortgage etc now so that I could sell the house later or have minimal bills in future and use the retirement money for food etc . As mentioned above the retirement age keeps getting pushed back. Would I even retire? Will Europe do the same as Japan ans allow people to work into really old age.
Also what will happen to my kids once me and my wife are gone. Will they be ok. Etc

I also worry that I’m gonna hit a level of knowledge/acceptance wise and be considered some grumpy old man but so far it hasn’t happened yet. Just stuck in my ways etc. I can see it sort of happening but seeing as a lot of culture is/are things I used to like as a kid means I’m not really out of it. But Maybe with music and mumble rap and some other music. But then I like music from Joji and post malone so I’m not hating all modern music.
But if this makes sense I mean. I know I’m getting old I’m 45 now. But I don’t feel 45 and I swear I enjoy the same things as I did when younger. Video games cartoons Star Wars, silly humour videos. Etc.

Last edited:

tommib

I have degenerative scoliosis which means my torso is constantly shifting very slowly. My rib cage will eventually affect my heart and lungs (very late in the game) so the best one can do is workout and stay fit. Workout like a motherfucker with a lot of cardio for rib cage expansion and muscle build up to control back pain.

I workout everyday since I’m 28. 42 now. The minimum workout I’ll do on a day is a 5K run.

Winter John

Gold Member
I hired a kid with learning disabilities a couple of weeks back. We just needed someone to do some simple cleaning stuff round the bar and kitchen. Sharon, my 2nd in command warned me against it. When it comes to hiring folk I usually leave all that to her cos she's a real good judge of character. This time I waved her off and decided to give him a shot.

Anyways, it turns out the kid is useless. It ain't his fault. He's just slow or something. We can't have him tidying the tables in the bar because he can't handle the crowd noise. He often forgets what he's doing and goes into some kind of trance. Basically just stands in a spot and stares off. We can't have him in the kitchen during service because he might hurt himself or get in the way. I can't leave him alone at night to tidy up the place because he'd leave it wide open. I don't wanna fire the retard but I can't find anything suitable for him. At the moment I got him sweeping outside and cleaning the windows, but I can't afford to pay him just to do that. It's disappointing as all hell cos the kid wants to work. There's plenty of people in his place would stay home on disability but he's out trying his best. So I figure I'm going to sit down with his parents, explain the situation and see if we can't find something better for him. I have a few ideas, gardening, laboring, shit like that. I know a few guys who might be able to take him on. Anyways I can tell this is going to become one of my pet projects.

Last edited:

tommib

I don’t know how well off you are but I’ll have the same problem with my sister. I’ve done well with my life and don’t need the parents house so to avoid confrontation and a falling out I’ll just let her have the house and whatever. Move on. She lives nearby and would never want to sell it. She won’t be able to buy my share of the house. So whatever.

I hired a kid with learning disabilities a couple of weeks back. We just needed someone to do some simple cleaning stuff round the bar and kitchen. Sharon, my 2nd in command warned me against it. When it comes to hiring folk I usually leave all that to her cos she's a real good judge of character. This time I waved her off and decided to give him a shot.

Anyways, it turns out the kid is useless. It ain't his fault. He's just slow or something. We can't have him tidying the tables in the bar because he can't handle the crowd noise. He often forgets what he's doing and goes into some kind of trance. Basically just stands in a spot and stares off. We can't have him in the kitchen during service because he might hurt himself or get in the way. I can't leave him alone at night to tidy up the place because he'd leave it wide open. I don't wanna fire the retard but I can't find anything suitable for him. At the moment I got him sweeping outside and cleaning the windows, but I can't afford to pay him just to do that. It's disappointing as all hell cos the kid wants to work. There's plenty of people in his place would stay home on disability but he's out trying his best. So I figure I'm going to sit down with his parents, explain the situation and see if we can't find something better for him. I have a few ideas, gardening, laboring, shit like that. I know a few guys who might be able to take him on. Anyways I can tell this is going to become one of my pet projects.

Dishes? Glasses? Stocking? Changing kegs etc? None suitable? Good on you for giving it a go, try something with headphones and one task to learn to start e.g. sink duties.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
You should send him an email and say, we need to get on the same page about some things in the future.....Just be genuine and open with each other. He may worry about the same thing, but you could also involve your parents in the discussion to help you two know how they feel and keep the emotion out of it. Inheritance should not be a mystery; everyone should have the expectations laid out.

Mondai

You should send him an email and say, we need to get on the same page about some things in the future.....Just be genuine and open with each other. He may worry about the same thing, but you could also involve your parents in the discussion to help you two know how they feel and keep the emotion out of it. Inheritance should not be a mystery; everyone should have the expectations laid out.
I already asked my father name he said he doesn’t want to get involved, that it’s our issue to figure out since he’ll be dead.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I already asked my father name he said he doesn’t want to get involved, that it’s our issue to figure out since he’ll be dead.
Now you know how he feels, now get with your brother. It will give you a reason to talk to each other.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
How open would he be to you buying out his stake?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Honestly not sure , I don’t talk to my brother much (I try to initiate contact but he very rarely answers me back).
Ask your parents then. See if he'll take a payment now based on the current value to give up his claim. Not sure what country you're in, you might want to look up setting up a trust or something similar for the purpose.

Mondai

Ask your parents then. See if he'll take a payment now based on the current value to give up his claim. Not sure what country you're in, you might want to look up setting up a trust or something similar for the purpose.
My parents don’t want to get involved with this and I can send my brother a message I guess but the man is a hermit (he literally takes months to answer me back).

Winter John

Gold Member
Dishes? Glasses? Stocking? Changing kegs etc? None suitable? Good on you for giving it a go, try something with headphones and one task to learn to start e.g. sink duties.
We tried but I need someone to clean up the kitchen and do all the shit work after we’re closed. I thought he could handle it. It’s real basic, but the kid needs someone to keep an eye on him. If I could afford to hire someone else and keep him on I’d probably do it, but times are tight

We tried but I need someone to clean up the kitchen and do all the shit work after we’re closed. I thought he could handle it. It’s real basic, but the kid needs someone to keep an eye on him. If I could afford to hire someone else and keep him on I’d probably do it, but times are tight
You're a good person/boss for giving the kid a go mate. Respect. Indeed, times are tight, business owner myself. Do what you need, help others where you can. Keep your ship sailing and you can try again with another down the track.

As for future Ozzy problems we have some fixed mortgages coming off to variable in about 2 years. Now now me is saving for a raining day I know is going to hit us if inflation doesn't piss off.

I also have what I like to refer to as "instant karma", my wife laughs all the time about it. I do something mean or stupid and immediately pay full price with interest. I have the worst karma, future me is a good boy due to accountability, what a bitch.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

My parents don’t want to get involved with this and I can send my brother a message I guess but the man is a hermit (he literally takes months to answer me back).
Squatters rights, boom!

im-the-captain-now-im-the-boss.gif

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Honestly, loneliness. I'm pushing 40 and I do not want to committed to a relationship. I love my freedom of living alone and not answering to anyone. Yes I have a female friend who is an amazing person, and partner, but I just can't find myself to commit to a real relationship. I just know at the end, when I'm all old and withered, I'm just going to end up dying alone.

Last edited:

Billbofet

I'm in the same situation as the OP with my sister. I am the responsible one and my sister - four years older than me - is incredibly bad with money, keeping a job, etc.
My father passed away a few years back, so when my mom is gone, I know the vast majority of settling the estate will fall on me, so I had this discussion with my mom and had her amend her will to what she wants - people are not always specific enough.
Her biggest nightmare would be for my sister to move into her exceptionally nice condo and run it into the ground. My mom had a stroke three years ago, and my sister and her loser boyfriend moved into her condo within HOURS - and she lived hours away at the time.
Anyway, long story short, my mom's will states that my sister cannot occupy the house for any reason and that it will be sold with the money being distributed evenly between us.
The house is already in fact in my name and I am the executor of the estate meaning I can charge a fee for the work I put in for selling the house, etc. I would never do that though as I don't want this to ruin our relationship. My mom was estranged from her brother for this very same reason.
My father passing away actually brought me and my sister closer than we've been in decades. I would hate to lose that over money neither of us even earned.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
My mother is getting up there and lives alone, as my stepfather passed a few years ago. She's going to need care and housing probably within the next three years. Or in the least maids and some kind of homecare professional to check up on her on a regular basis.

I am the youngest sibling in a large family, and the only one without kids (we're trying....). I also happen to earn far more than any of my other siblings and have no debt, so I know they're all going to be expecting me to take on the financial burden. So, I guess I am saving and preparing for that.

Aesius

Career. I stagnated a bit due to complacency. Now I feel like my age and lack of progress are catching up to me, but I have a 2 year old and a 1 month old. Don't really have the time to make a career change or advancement right now. Thankfully, my wife makes very good money, so we are okay. But I hate feeling like I haven't moved the needle since my late 20s.

I am Schizophenic and diabetic; I suffer from neuropathy which cause pain in my legs so even getting out of bed seems like a huge task. Today my Mom turns 63 and my dad is the same age. I've had to depend on my dad for everything as I've been out of work for 2 months(Hospital and home) due to very bad Gastritis(I kept on relapsing). Last year around the same time I spent 4 months out of work due to heart failure...

I don't take good care of myself and I think I have really bad luck with genetics as well... Lost tons of weight... about 150 pounds and I was not looking to get that thin... just unable to eat due to gastritis.

At this point I am wondering what the next issue will be... and how much longer can my dad support me when he is already 63.

I was thinking... get a better job so I can be independent without my dad but while typing this I realize my problems might be deeper than just that.

Also a 33 year old virgin... not too bothered... there are very few girls I find sexually attractive and I don't really regret since I did very much enjoyed what I did instead which is lots and lots of gaming... I think I am attractive most of the time... some days I can't help but berate myself for my looks but the general consensus is that I'm beautiful.

I have dated two girls in the past 3 years after I got my first real post college job(like 10 years too late). The first I refused to have sex with because I just did not feel any attraction like that.. I liked her enough, we spoke everyday and enjoyed each other's company but in the end she had 2 kids and I just wasn't gonna take them under my wings... I don't see myself taking care of anyone else's kid. I will never try dating people with kids again because now I know I cannot stomach it.

Second one is a bit of a power trip after hearing future sing "I done flew one out to Spain to be in my domain and Audemars-ed the bitch, woo" I was like I should fly myself a foreign B too. I went to my cousin, spent some of cash got a girl, sugar daddied her... Im still with her today but I don't have the means to actually fly her here or help her too much these days.

The sex thing is a big problem because I am insecure about it, not really regretting but my sister was furious I did not sleep with the mother of 2.. I think people know that about me and they judge me for it.

Solution be happy with who I am

Fools idol

Banned
Career. I stagnated a bit due to complacency. Now I feel like my age and lack of progress are catching up to me, but I have a 2 year old and a 1 month old. Don't really have the time to make a career change or advancement right now. Thankfully, my wife makes very good money, so we are okay. But I hate feeling like I haven't moved the needle since my late 20s.
I know it's cliche but have you tried just building up a side hustle? you sound like me in my mid 20's... I ended up building a bunch of income streams and small businesses, basically retired now at 30's. It's often times best for the comfort zone types like myself

jm89

Buying a house.

Can't see my self being able to afford one in London, prices are ridiculous. So mentally prepared to leave the city. WFH being more popular in tech has made this a no brainer.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Pretty sure my body is going to deteriorate to the point where I won't be able to move

Top Bottom