• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's a good vodka...

Status
Not open for further replies.
... Besides Goose, Stoli, and Absolut? I'm interested in some of the more outlandish stuff, like my friend was telling me about an Estonian vodka which was pretty good. Also, anyone try that Ciroc (sp?) vodka?

Suggestions, bribes, and come-ons, all welcome.

Ryck

avl.jpg
I know you said you knew of it , but add some coke (or Pepsi if you like that sort of thing) and your good to go.

I've never actually had the Vanilla. I might pick some up.

I think I'm throwing a party at my place, and while I usually get Popov or some shit and fill up the Grey Goose and Stoli bottle, I also like having a reserve of something really good for my close friends.

type9

See if you can find Chopin Vodka. I think it's a Polish or Russian brand, I only remember the name because of the composer.

seanoff

from my post in the other alco thread

Polmos Polish Pure Spirit: 500 ml bottle
Is this a vodka? It's a real killer, 160 proof. It's got a hell of a kick, instantly warms you up. Drink with caution, or be a gutterhugger, i.e. over consume and you will die. Glen reckons it's the reason why those uncoordinated Russian cosmonaughts keep busting up the Mir Space Station. Have a Polmos on us fellas.

This stuff is awesome. Completely tasteless under something. Drink unmixed at your own peril, 3 nips is generally adequate. Really really effective. Very pure, if u don't get too drunk u will not get hungover. If u go overboard, death = u.

Also good for cleaning stuff as it is 80% pure ethonol.

Can't recommend it highly enough.

Skol all the way baby....

Just kidding, when I was in high school we drank handles of that when we couldn't stomach the Osco-brand gin.

In today's carb-conscious society, I'm shocked that none of you have mentioned Ciroc Vodka http://www.cirocvodka.com. It's made from grapes (not wheat or potatoes like other vodkas), so it's claimed to be incredibly smooth, low carb, and, apparently is the favored vodka of Bill Clinton and several other celebrities/political power figures.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
I've been meaning to try Ciroc DJ. I've asked this in like 4 vodka threads now, but has anyone tried Level yet? It just came out about a month or 2 ago and its from absolut, its premium vodka meant to compete with Grey Goose etc.

levelvodka.jpg

sefskillz said:
I've been meaning to try Ciroc DJ. I've asked this in like 4 vodka threads now, but has anyone tried Level yet? It just came out about a month or 2 ago and its from absolut, its premium vodka meant to compete with Grey Goose etc.

No, but I've wanted to. Just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe this weekend, though. I think I've put it off because of the Absolut connection. Absolut is good, but the way some people revere it kind of turns me off. There are many other vodkas out there that are just as good and better.

heavy liquid said:
You should give Belvedere a shot, too. Pun intended. ;)

Hmm... you might be thinking of Turi.

Yep that's the one. I'll probably pick up that, Ketel, and Ciroc.

And a thing of Popov. ;)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Ok, I'll be picking up some vodka on the weekend. Possibly splitting a decent quality bottle with someone. I've had the really bad shit, I've had absolut plenty of times. Looking to spend in the ~$50 range (if necessary). Haven't ever had Grey Goose, unfortunately. Want something that's as smooth as possible, something that's potentially mixable but good straight.

So, suggestions? I'm interested in Ciroc, since it's something different. Ciroc? Level? GG? What's something where I'll really know the difference from the cheapo/sorta cheapo stuff?

This is a pretty good site I've found, with some good reviews and resources:

http://www.vodkaphiles.com/index.cfm

The Jewel of Russia (classic) got the best rating from them.

I would also recommend Belvedere or Chopin. You'll definitely be able to tell the difference from Popov... ;)

I haven't tried Ciroc (vodka from grapes?!), but I've been meaning to...
ciroc.gif

Palate entry is sweet, ripe and grapey, a complete 180-degree turn from the odd bouquet; midpalate highlights the sweet, fruity ripeness to the point where it starts to resemble grappa. Finish is delightfully sweet, polished and elegant.(Wine Enthusiast)
Ciroc is produced from grapes that are hand selected then distilled five times in traditional pot still for ultimate flavor. Sweet, fruity ripeness, polished and elegant.
Cîroc is the world’s first and only vodka made from grapes for an exquisitely smooth & fresh vodka experience.

Vodka from grapes?!? Yes. While most ordinary vodkas are made from starches like wheat or potatoes, vodka can be made from any organic fermentable ingredient. The makers of Cîroc selected grapes (in fact, they chose three particular types of grapes from a specific region of France) in order to create this remarkably fresh, distinctively smooth vodka.

What are “snap frost grapes”? While most grapes are harvested in early autumn, snap frost grapes continue to ripen on vines into the late fall and early winter. Then frosty temperatures actually freeze the grapes on the vine. The grapes are then quickly picked and pressed. Because the sweet juice of the grape has a lower freezing point than water—juice is extracted, while frozen water crystals remain behind in the press—snap frost grapes yield a liquid that is higher in sugar content and grape essence.

What is cold fermentation? The most obvious difference between cold fermentation and regular fermentation is the temperature. As a result of the lower temperatures, cold fermentation takes a bit longer. But the technique preserves freshness and extracts a more flavorful combination of the fruit character, resulting in a more desirable end product. Cold fermentation has previously been used in making wines. But Cîroc is the first luxury vodka to utilize this painstaking technique.

sefskillz

EviLore said:
Want something that's as smooth as possible, something that's potentially mixable but good straight.

imo grey goose falls off a bit in the mixing category but it is amazingly smooth and really shines when done straight. I keep the goose around for straight shots and mix with cheaper stuff, smirnoff tripled distilled for instance.

sefskillz

I think a 750ml bottle of ciroc goes from 30-40

edit: I meant to mention that I started my blueberry vodka attempt today.. similar to the way people made the candy vodka earlier except with blueberries and a touch of marie brizard raspberry. can't wait :D

sefskillz said:
I think a 750ml bottle of ciroc goes from 30-40

You sure? Where can you buy it? I personally haven't seen it for sale at any liquor store near me (but I have seen it in upscale bars).

Grey Goose is great with vodka tonics, and screwdrivers, and the like, I just wouldn't use it in mixers that use multiple types of booze, like Long Island's. Absolute smoothest vodka I've had to date was Thor's Hammer, but I don't think it did that well.

sefskillz

I finally tried Hangar One last night, I really enjoyed it but I don't know that its worth the price. It made a great vodka tonic and was fun to shoot too.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Jason:

http://www.bevmo.com has ciroc for $27.99

So yeah, not as expensive as you thought. Really, it seems pretty unusual for vodka to be higher than $50 per 750ml, except where the bottle is handpainted or the brand is difficult to import.

So anyway, I'm considering Jewel of Russia and maybe Ciroc if I see it.

EviLore said:
Jason:

http://www.bevmo.com has ciroc for $27.99

So yeah, not as expensive as you thought. Really, it seems pretty unusual for vodka to be higher than $50 per 750ml, except where the bottle is handpainted or the brand is difficult to import.

Excellent, thanks EviLore! :) I figured that it was an import or something and that's why it was so expensive. *shrug*

Now that it's confirmed to be available to mere mortals, I think I'll order one up for the next soiree at Casa De J. :D

nitewulf

theres a liquor store near that has a deal, 3 bottles of finlandia for 24 bucks, dont be fooled by the price, its really great vodka. definitely a great choice for mixed drinks.

nitewulf said:
theres a liquor store near that has a deal, 3 bottles of finlandia for 24 bucks, dont be fooled by the price, its really great vodka. definitely a great choice for mixed drinks.

Gah, Finlandia is not great vodka. It's something I would use in Long Islands since it is mixed with 3 other alcohols, but Finlandia is horrible when you've had any of the upper echelon vodkas. I'm surprised you can tolerate the charcoal aftertaste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom