• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's GAF's Opinion on Folklore for the PS3?

fart town usa

Gold Member
Used copy arrived today, game is on ebay for $45-55. Had a copy years ago but lent it out and never got it back, stoked to revisit this gem.

I plan on doing a RTTP once I've gathered some footage and have a proper feel for the game. Old save file shows the last time I played it was 10/04/2009!

Just wanted to bump this thread to see some love tossed this games way. Total gem from the early days of the PS3.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I thought it was a good game when I played it around release. It had a pretty decent story, with likeable characters and an intriguing setting where you solved some mystery in the sleepy coastal village of Doolin. It was also the only game that actually used Sixaxis in an interesting way, where you had to capture the monsters abilities and use them to your advantage. At the time I thought it was a pretty cool mechanic, and swinging the controller never felt intrusive or shallow, like with most other motion control games during that era. I think I'd still appreciate the game if I played it today. Sony should remaster it for a new audience.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I didn't enjoy it overall. A very well-made game, but the way dialogue is handled in that graphic novel style is what turned me off. It just killed the pacing for me and I didn't finish it.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Used copy arrived today, game is on ebay for $45-55. Had a copy years ago but lent it out and never got it back, stoked to revisit this gem.

I plan on doing a RTTP once I've gathered some footage and have a proper feel for the game. Old save file shows the last time I played it was 10/04/2009!

Just wanted to bump this thread to see some love tossed this games way. Total gem from the early days of the PS3.

I hope you didnt pay between 45-55 for it. I bought it a handful of years ago used at a GameStop for 10 bucks.

What a weird fucking game. Not bad, but not great. Unique and weird.

I bought this on eBay back when sealed copies were $20 tops. Cracked it open earlier this year. I had fun for a day, then it became extremely repetitive. There are two characters and you are expected to level up separate minions (or whatever they are called) on each. Forget that.

It’s one of the few games that I would say hasn’t aged well. If you were a kid with only this game to play in 2007, it would have been great. Now, it’s intriguing but the gameplay isn’t worth the time. I don’t understand why this is valued so highly on eBay, but I was happy to sell my copy for $80 to some sucker.

edit: someone here used the word “slog”. That is accurate.

Last edited:

Barakov

I remember enjoying it. It was definitely quirky though. It had a manly Otacon so it had that going for it. I remember it being a bright spot in the early days of the PS3.

NewYork214

Funny, was just thinking about how this game is trapped on ps3 and would love to try it again. I remember liking it. Hopefully added to PS premium at some point

fart town usa

Gold Member
I hope you didnt pay between 45-55 for it. I bought it a handful of years ago used at a GameStop for 10 bucks.

What a weird fucking game. Not bad, but not great. Unique and weird.
I mean, if gamestop still had a healthy selection of PS3 titles I'd be buying there but it's just the occasional scrap these days.

I honestly don't remember too much about it, just one of those games that stuck with me and will likely never be released again considering Game Republic closed over a decade ago and it's a PS3 exclusive. I could see Sony maybe putting it out for streaming cause they published it and Japan Studio was involved but I'd rather just get it now versus a few years from now and it potentially being more expensive.

I remember enjoying it. It was definitely quirky though. It had a manly Otacon so it had that going for it. I remember it being a bright spot in the early days of the PS3.
lol, you are spot on with that. How funny, never noticed that.

Funnily enough I bought it last week (ebay) costing a hefty £41. I sold my original copy some years ago when I lent my PS3 to a family member. I recently got it back and it's permanently connected to the main TV now.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I mean, if gamestop still had a healthy selection of PS3 titles I'd be buying there but it's just the occasional scrap these days.

I honestly don't remember too much about it, just one of those games that stuck with me and will likely never be released again considering Game Republic closed over a decade ago and it's a PS3 exclusive. I could see Sony maybe putting it out for streaming cause they published it and Japan Studio was involved but I'd rather just get it now versus a few years from now and it potentially being more expensive.

lol, you are spot on with that. How funny, never noticed that.

I don’t even think you can find 360/PS3/Wii games at those stores anymore. The scraps nowadays are Xbox One and PS4 titles.

fart town usa

Gold Member
So far the game is better than I remembered. Really digging the combat, sixaxis works great with the retrofighters controller. OST is freaking god-tier so far and the game is just an absolute vibe at times. Good example down below.

lol, I just realized the leaves on the screen look like marijuana. Fitting.

Sleepwalker

I never played it so interested about the RTTP thread! What does RTTP even mean? I know LTTP is late to the party but never got the R.

On the topic of gamestop, at least down there in murica you guys have some retro games sometimes, here in Canada they actively don't carry anything and will turn you away if you ask.

I gave it a try in 2015 but the gameplay didn't grab me, however I loved it's story, setting and characters, I regret not sticking with it, but I'm glad I bought a copy when I did at least.

If I ever get around to hooking my old PS3 back up this is at the top of the list to play, but there's that issue where's there maybe not enough only on PS3 by this point to make it worth the hassle, which is why I wish I had played the whole thing I had the chance.

But a fascinating game nevertheless, it's the closest thing the PS3 has to a game like Rule of Rose, you've been making some interesting threads lately OP.

Fun fact, the actor that voiced the main male character in this game was the lead in a obscure UK TV series called Strange I remember watching when it aired in the US on Showtime, he was also in the movie "Grabbers" where Irish people have to get drunk to protect themselves from alien monsters, lol.

Last edited:

Neolombax

One of my favourite games on the PS3. Had to really track down the physical copy for this. Had a real good time with it. I generally like games where you summon monsters to attack enemies, ala Chaos Legion. Yanking those enemy souls with the controller was pretty cool back then. I remember the game having several biomes with distinctly different enemies for each of them, so it makes the whole monster collection mechanic an enjoyable grind.

Top Bottom